or Connect

Posts by fjpoblam

The problem persists for our iPads. My iPhone syncs wirelessly, fine. Our MBPs fail to detect our iPads. I've tried a hard reset, necessitating network reconnect. No help. On connect via cable, *usually* iTunes does the job, but for this. Now iPhoto has a very hard time. During our travels, we download pics to our iPads. Many pics. Upon coming home, we hope to sync them into our MBPs. Using iTunes. Not only does the WiFi sync fail, but cable connect fails to import pics...
I request a gentle few words of advice that I may pass on to mi esposa. She is an avid photographer. She gathers $*1+pot$ of photos, loaded frequently from an SD card to both the MBP and her iPad, and organized and edited via iPhoto. On the MBP, editing is also done via Pixelmator. Syncing is done via iTunes. She often ends up with missing pix, duplicate, and even triplicates, in various edited versions. The edited versions on the MBP (on inspection by me) will show -1,...
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday. Coincident is the upgrade to Safari 6. Rough edge: Safari loads with a blank page instead of the "home page" I've placed in preferences. The blank page is accompanied, on the omnibar, with a prompt to enter a web page address or search terms. Also, the "Home" button is slow to respond, requiring several selections. It should be noted that, once Safari is up and running, Safari correctly responds to File==> New Window, by...
I'm updating a client's website. I have a folder for the client, named after the client's domain. Let's call it, "domain". Within the folder, I have another folder, called "Images". In that folder, I have all the client's website images. One of the images is an icon file. It's a .png. It was 32px by 32px. I edited it, to create a 58px by 58px version to replace it. I filed the new version. The appearance is completely different. Upon saving the new file, I viewed the...
In our alarmist area, there're already folks who favor outlawing cell phone use in public places, not to speak of public Wi-Fi hotspots (guess!). The spectre of radiation from wireless power will yield calls for regulations governing not only public use but also how close to a residence (especially apartment or tightly packed urban dwelling) this may be done. This place really likes its Mommy laws.
Yep, it ain't all that hard to take a click or two three more to get to the right stuff. But ain't automation wonderful? If a skilled web designer can make it easier and more efficient for a website visitor to get to the right stuff, then why not? The website should just work.
I'm about to swap my email management from Gmail to Hostgator (my domain). The current mail account on my iPad is set up as a Gmail account, with my domain name (me@mydomain.com) as the email address. (This email address, in turn, is set up on the Gmail side as the default "send as" address.) This arrangement has worked correctly so far, on my iPad, as well as my iPhone and my MacBookPro. In the Hostgator instructions for setting up my email handling (in my case, to...
I use GIMP, not necessarily daily, but very frequently. I don't foresee a rewrite that'll run without X11. GIMP accomplishes some detail work not possible in, e.g., Pixelmator. And I'm not among the rich and famous who can afford to keep a copy of Photoshop hanging around in the shadows for detail work on *not only* photos but other graphics, for website maintenance. Unless I could find a realistic alternative to GIMP, I *depend* on X11!
How long does an SSD last versus an HDD? Do I recall correctly that it has a limited number of read/write passes before it begins to degrade? Yes, I can see that this might be irrelevant in a world where a buyer might want to replace the device quickly (more quickly than the SSD degrades) in order to have the "latest and greatest". But that *seems* to be a sort of "built-in obsolescence". Don't get me wrong: I'm an Apple favorer. We have two 13" MBPs (SSDs) and two...
It is our habit, for each year, to download photos from the camera periodically to the laptop. Each download creates an "event" named for the date of the download. At year-end, we merge the events. ("2001photos", "2002photos", etc.) This has worked, with success, in the past. I have been able to sync photos by event to an iPod Touch; and when events are merged, the reorganization is reflected on the iPod Touch. Now, we have iPads. It's that time of year again...