or Connect

Posts by john_l_uk

I hate iOS7 - we've all gone along with the gradual reduction from the luscious rich colours and textures of the original OSX to the flat, grey 'serious' 'businesslike' finish of later iterations and now the minimalist aesthetic has ousted the last vestiges of 'decadent ornamentation' from iOS and even the Apple Store. It may well appeal to purist graphic designers but I don't think the direction that the interface has taken is towards creating a friendly and intuitive...
Fine words from the company that brought us the all-conquering Zune! The message is we still think that people are going to buy tablets so that they can do office work round the clock - they just don't get it. Word processors and spreadsheets are not the only vehicles for productivity. Garage Band may be ridiculed as an app that helps one 'kill time', but it also happens to be a brilliant tool for creating and playing music and in educational terms it is without equal. It...
You can bet your bottom dollar that if/when Apple releases iWatch it will be a product that creates a new order of functionality. I can't predict what surprises it will unleash but if there isn't a niche to justify its place in Apple's portfolio it won't get made. My bet is on Siri control (remember the fuss when Apple ditched the physical keys on the iPhone? The floppy disc? The hard disc!? Given that for a range of functions the screen is redundant  then I'd be...
The first iPad was introduced in 2010 and was 'wildly successful', ditto iPod Touch, therefore there are millions out there unable to upgrade to the latest OS, so presumably they've either been chucked away in despair or just written out of the equation. I cant believe that they represent such a small percentage of that pie chart! I am very disappointed that I can't update my original iPad in any way even if the limitations of the device prevents access to certain features.
@ dsd Yeah right, sounds great! Or was this irony? http://www.zunescene.mobi/forums/index.php?topic=46687.0;wap2
I don't know if it's currently used in the US but all our cards in the UK are 'chip and pin' so it would need some kind of input device to take off here. The iPad screen could take a numerical code (pin number) but entry has to be discrete and secure!
$500,000 - although a huge amount to me - is just the equivalent of the money Steve Jobs got by taking bottles back for the deposit to Apple.....It's not even worth paying the lawyers to fight it! I don't know whether there's any merit in this case but it is sinister that it comes on top of the warranty thing and is from a state-owned company. Guess the Communist government don't like successful capitalists - especially when they're from overseas. There's so much money...
I know, and we can't even purchase assault rifles (or hand-guns for that matter) ! Guess it's just the price we pay for living in -  This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise,  ..... This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England. (or Wales in my case).  Seriously though as a nation we generally accept that the BBC is worth the licence fee because there are no commercials - which is...
Hi JoshA I get the same message as you about Hulu. I suppose that Netfilx and LOVEFiLM Instant are the nearest things to Hulu that we get in the UK but looking at the Hulu interface I'm very impressed. I don't subscribe to LOVEFiLM so I've not compared the content with Hulu but I think Hulu probably has the edge!
Sorry Tallest Skill I hate to contradict you but you do need a license for live online access although iPlayer as a catch-up service is exempt from licensing - to quote directly from the licensing website - "With today’s technology, you can watch TV on more devices than ever, whenever it suits you best. This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through...