or Connect

Posts by john_l_uk

I did know that mate, thanks, but it just doesn't make sense from a commercial point of view to put a streaming media product on the UK market that doesn't include all of our free content providers, also maybe don't want to tie the phone up being the source of the signal.
It gets worse! Just discovered that You Tube has been completely removed from my Apple TV2. It's rapidly turning into a brick. I can of course stream from my iPhone and because I invested in the kit to connect it to my hi-fi I can still use it as a media hub, but now any video content has to be paid for! Either Netflix or iTunes. I got my Sky HD plus (TiVo) box for free as a Sky subscriber but I paid £100 for my Apple TV and would have expected it to be fully functioning...
Thanks Crosslad, I am aware of the workaround and have used it a couple of times but it doesn't address the issue of Apple TV being so far behind the competition it's embarrassing. One of my kids has an X Box, which naturally, being a 21st Century machine, can access all of the 'Freeview' channels. If I use Apple TV when he visits, maybe to show a video from my phone by AirPlay, I'm sure he feels sorry for me when he sees the channel line up. People buy Apple stuff because...
Not impressed with the Apple TV offering in the UK, still no iPlayer, ITV player, More 4 etc, so missing a trick. hell even the lowly and ancient Nintendo Wii has iPlayer and co!
Apple TV is sold internationally, but many of the channels being added are only of marginal interest to viewers outside the U.S. I don't even know if licensing would permit anybody this side of the pond to subscribe to the American sports channels, but please believe they are about as relevant to most Brits (and probably most Europeans) as a dedicated Cricket or Premier League Football channel would be in the States. However over here every 'Smart TV', tablet, phone and...
Matyoroy the first part of your comment is spot on but the last couple of paragraphs are way off beam. The license fee ensures that the BBC are editorially independent and free to report as they please. Just listen to the grilling that politicians get on Radio 4 before you insinuate that they are frightened to bite the hand that feeds them - they are challenging to the point of being abrasive. You'll get a much more balanced view of the news here than say on Fox in the...
I've had no Yosemite inspired problems on my iMac but on my MacBook Pro I keep getting a message saying that 'another device on the network is using the same address 192.168. etc' At one point I also had 4 instances of the MacBook showing in the 'Shared' category in Finder until a phone call to Apple support. Although this latter issue was resolved the Wi-Fi drop out and message has recurred. This is the first time that an OS Update has caused problems.
I hate iOS7 - we've all gone along with the gradual reduction from the luscious rich colours and textures of the original OSX to the flat, grey 'serious' 'businesslike' finish of later iterations and now the minimalist aesthetic has ousted the last vestiges of 'decadent ornamentation' from iOS and even the Apple Store. It may well appeal to purist graphic designers but I don't think the direction that the interface has taken is towards creating a friendly and intuitive...
Fine words from the company that brought us the all-conquering Zune! The message is we still think that people are going to buy tablets so that they can do office work round the clock - they just don't get it. Word processors and spreadsheets are not the only vehicles for productivity. Garage Band may be ridiculed as an app that helps one 'kill time', but it also happens to be a brilliant tool for creating and playing music and in educational terms it is without equal. It...
You can bet your bottom dollar that if/when Apple releases iWatch it will be a product that creates a new order of functionality. I can't predict what surprises it will unleash but if there isn't a niche to justify its place in Apple's portfolio it won't get made. My bet is on Siri control (remember the fuss when Apple ditched the physical keys on the iPhone? The floppy disc? The hard disc!? Given that for a range of functions the screen is redundant  then I'd be...