or Connect

Posts by mrochester

Yeah it's typically the case that what people say they will buy is different to what they actually buy. But it's still a shift regardless.
Yeah to me it looks like a number of perspective buyers have basically switched from wanting an iPhone to wanting a Samsung (probably Android) phone. Although the number of people wanting an iPhone is still amazingly high, such a considerable decrease/increase should be well noted. Samsung is very quickly becoming synonymous with Android.
For a phone to work on a CDMA network, it has to be registered with the network; i.e., you need to call them and ask them to authenticate your phone on the network. If that supplier has a policy of not allowing certain phones onto their network, even though the phone is unlocked and could work on any network in theory, if they refuse to let you use it, there's nothing you can do about that.
T-Mobile in the US, no, T-Mobile is other countries, yes.
My understanding is that it means Verizon and Sprint have said no to allowing iPhone 4S' that haven't been specifically bought with Verizon or Sprint service onto their network. So you may call to add your phone to their network, and they may reply 'sure... but only if you sign up to a 24 month commitment'.
I think many people with a vested interest are taking this opportunity to shout down or badmouth Apple simply because it's a rare opportunity for them to use or cite something to this effect. The man on the street either wont know or won't care about what's going on and Apple will continue to make great products and consumers will continue to lap them up.
I guess it depends whether you consider owning a mobile phone a right or a luxury. Your other option, if you disagree with the policies of all networks, is to not own a phone at all. If enough people care to disagree with the policies, we'll see them leave the networks in droves, and they'll then be forced to alter their terms. However, as is the case with Apple, most people probably don't care that these policies are changing. As such, those who are bothered will...
I don't understand why many people around here are so staunchly against telecom companies maximising their profits wherever possible but tend to be more than happy for Apple to do exactly the same. Surely if you are pro Apple making as much profit as possible, you also have to be pro telecoms making as much profit as possible? The argument typically goes that if you don't like what Apple does, don't buy Apple. If you don't like what AT&T are doing, why not just leave...
I believe the UK is Apple's second largest market outside of the US, and perhaps it has something to do with NFC payment systems with the looming 2012 Olympics.
Good old iTunes, eh?