or Connect

Posts by mrochester

That's fine, you can have whatever categories you like, just don't complain if there's another con when it's compared against machines in another category!
See this is just it; because you disagree that the price is quite high, you're discrediting the categories used to compare the device to others. I'm not saying their categories are the best way to compare things, but just because you don't like what they have to say doesn't mean their comparison and ratings are invalid. You're just going to have to accept that Apple devices do have cons when compared to other things out there in any given category, and for this category...
The point I am trying to make is that if you make the categories too specific, there is absolutely no point in reviewing, comparing or scoring any devices at all. It would be like saying the MBA scores 100% in the category of ultraportable laptops that natively run OSX. And because CR are apparently saying something negative about the MBA, some people are trying to discredit the categories they have used to compare machines and instead propose different categories which...
Same purpose of being an ultra portable laptop, i.e., the main purpose of these machines.
Why? They both have the same purpose and utility.
There has to be some sort of common ground between the laptops compared for any sort of comparison to be meaningful. The MBA is an ultra-portable laptop so the main criteria for comparison purposes would probably be size, weight, durability and battery life. This would be compared to other computers with the same purpose which would probably include netbooks and other ultra-portables. And clearly the price of the MBA can be criticised in comparison to a netbook if the...
No I'm saying that criticising or belittling Nokia for their lower profit margins in comparison to Apple is a pointless endeavour since they compete in markets that are inherently less profitable, and which Apple have no interest or desire to compete in. That's entirely Nokia and Apple's prerogative, but both approaches are equally as valid as the next.
The point I'm trying to make is that the constant reminders of Apple's huge profits is also a reminder that Apple's strategy is only any good in markets where people can afford their devices. These 'reminders' also serve to criticise those manufacturers who do make affordable devices for poorer countries, and thus less profit, as if that were a bad thing. It seems that there is a feeling that profits profits profits is the only goal, and that Nokia et al should pack...
I've often wondered this when people mock the low end of the phone market for it's razor thin profit margins, but if all phones were high priced, high margin devices, how would the millions of people in the world who live on next to nothing ever be able to afford a mobile phone? There's over a billion people in India, and the vast majority would never be able to afford a phone if every manufacturer adopted Apple's approach. Or do you think they just shouldn't own a phone?
Hi all It looks like the iPhone and Android based devices are clearing up the smartphone market in the US right now. http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/01/c...-the-us-andro/