or Connect

Posts by ShinySteelRobot

News flash! Act now and Apple will throw in a collection of nude celebrity pics with every subscription.
  Tesla was an amazing eccentric genius who wanted to contribute to the world and who had much better inventive ideas than Edison. However, taken as a whole, Edison and his associates made a bigger impact on America. Edison happened to be a world class douchebag (they don't teach that in gradeschool history class) and it was precisely this douchebaggery that allowed Edison to have the enormous impact that he did. I'm not endorsing Edison's behavior though. Cue "nice guys...
When I was a teen my family temporarily moved to Canada, and I went to Canadian high school. In Canadian History class in HS they taught us that Alexander Graham Bell was a famous Canadian inventor and that the telephone was a Canadian invention that happened to be ironed out in the USA, along with many other of Bell's inventions including various experiments with manned flight, etc. The Canadians were quite emphatic about it and told me he lived, died, and was buried in...
  The Wikipedia page is very interesting, and I see your point, but I disagree. The patents seem pretty broad. The concept NTP patented is "wireless push email". The fundamental concept of mail, as used every day in the physical world is "push". For example, LL Bean mails me ("pushes" me) a yearly catalog in the mail--I don't drive over to LL Bean to get it. So the concept of pushing mail in a virtualized environment (i.e., mail inside a computer) could/should be exactly...
This is the software equivalent of an overly-broad patent on "a machine for moving people from one place to another" a long time ago. And then, after the widespread invention/adoption of trains, stagecoaches, cars, airplanes, etc, suddenly coming out of the woodwork and claiming that all these implementations infringe on your patented idea and taking Amtrack, Ford, GM, Boeing, etc. to court.    And then suing and winning more than a half billion dollars because of...
How much more evidence do we need that the US patent system is fundamentally broken? People have been using wireless mail since the days of carrier pigeons. In the past years it was discovered that there were descriptions of wireless email "prior art" documented in Norway that predate NTP's "invention" of it. The US patent office failed to find the documented prior art when it granted the patent troll company its wireless email patents. Hopefully that discovery helped...
    Finally somebody gets it. Spending the last 15 years sending all our intellectual property overseas is a key reason why many overseas companies (particularly in East Asia) can effectively compete with American companies today. We give our potential competitors the technology to compete, as well as the technology to manufacture it.   The upshot, of course, is that American CEOs who outsource this stuff get paid to do it, because a short term boost in quarterly earnings...
  Sigh. "Doing a 360" is a fancy basketball dunk, or sometimes a fancy dive into water, and so on. By changing his phrase you're putting words in the mouth of the original poster who got it wrong. When he's referring to turning tables--as the original poster was referring to--then turning tables 360 degrees results in no net change. If anything, he should have said "doing a 180" (to use your turn of phrase).   Normally saying "turning the tables" is enough to imply 180....
      tangent |ˈtanjənt| noun 2 a completely different line of thought or action: he quickly went off on a tangent about wrestling.
  Factoring a prime number is a trivial operation. Despite what Bill Gates thinks, I don't think factoring large prime numbers would be a big advance in mathematics.   OTOH, computing a prime number is harder. An efficient way to do that would be a big advance.