or Connect

Posts by jlandd

Processing power and everything else not OS related (ports, screen size, etc) have to be put in perspective as only a part of the equation between the two and for some they're not that meaningful even if devices get as powerful as laptops compared to the OS.  I'm in your camp.  I love my iPad and use it a lot for things other than putzing around.  But as IOS makes one take sometimes five steps where OS X takes one (and that's with holding a finger down and hoping the...
 Nobody who follows any competition that pits humans against humans gives any thought to whether a computer could beat them.
Yeah, it stopped being an actual discussion a few posts down the road, being that no one can figure out what the connection of that is. I can't do for the life of me figure out what the fact that a computer does x better has to do with the validity of a competition between humans doing x.
The ball is now more than ever in Apple's court to provide daily use software that is as CPU efficient as other options. And spinning beach balls in Safari and long app open times elsewhere NOT related to underpowered CPU are often written off as underpowered Mac problems by the general public who don't go to forums for the answers to such things. One can definitely happily use this processor for much work, but only if the apps are at least functioning with good...
 It has four varieties, all "unavailable", which can mean anything from they'll be available soon after the MacBooks start selling tomorrow or possibly a little later or maybe much later.  Or they'll be available in small quantities tomorrow most people won't get one before they sell out, not be refreshed for...a month? This laptop has a niche and it's someone who doesn't need ports in this purchase.  No one should buy it counting on the adapters being available in...
Well, no they don't. : ) They WILL have them at some point, but given how long Apple takes getting dongles like this to market I wouldn't buy a new MB and count on the necessary function of one if you need to count on having it within this quarter. The ideal niche user for this MB won't need a multiport dongle. I'm convinced the port adapters will arrive the same time the next higher up generation of these does, with more horsepower and, ironically, a second USB C port.
 But that doesn't help the issue in question, which is if the port goes bad due to overuse being the only port you can't connect anything until it's back from the Apple Store, whether it's a simple job or not.  And pay the $175 for an unattached port fix. The particular device it's on now it makes sense for a single port, because that's the niche of the laptop.  But if they decide to continue up the next few rungs it'll be a disaster, especially being that none of the...
Lemme see if I have this right.  The Griffin Watchstand's selling point is its...  ?  ?   If I have to buy a charger to charge with it, why do I need the stand?  I don't even want to know what they'll be asking for it.
 WWwwweelllll, I do get the point that this is something for people who don't need three ports, or for those times when it wouldn't be appropriate to have peripherals with you.   But I'll tell you what will resemble a bad move.  Not getting the adapters out until long after the excitement has died down.  And not because that would render them not useful until then, but it just doesn't work to hype all the things you can do with a new port while no one can do them for want...
I don't have 100mg masters and setting aside the cost of storage for a moment, RAW files easily make an afternoon of shooting a 20 gig project. After a few months it's 500 gigs. My home upload isn't nearly up to snuff for dealing with that. So unless there's something I'm missing here, that was a dealkiller at 1 gig. So regardless of its RAW capabilitiy we're really talking about it handling jpgs, which is a big difference, especially for the non pro who shoots 75%...