or Connect

Posts by jlandd

What I meant to imply as that Apple may well just make it not work with a Yosemite update in a year, even without an actual need to, in its desire to create a larger base for Photos.   Kind of cynical, I know, but Aperture users have a right to be cynical  :  ) I also am leaving the door open to Photos actually being able to do a lot pretty well.  And if it takes 3rd party plugins that don't need to create TIFFs I'll be woodshedding with it for a while before turning my...
OK, thanks.  It's not to nest entire large sections, but often the lines I'm quoting to respond to are responding to something else, so I want to include that context.  It's easier for me to quote the whole thing and then delete everything not needed than hunt around to add that second quote.     Thanks,   j
Don't know how you're gleaning panic from my post, but whatever...The iMovie situation is obviously totally different as it has never been end of lifed. It lacks Apple announcing ending development of a long touted as professional proprietary product and their planning to offer a general purpose free replacement which will import its libraries. A more accurate comparison would be FCP, where Apple has been actively directing users toward FCPX. And though it boots in...
That's not exactly a stamp of confidence from Apple. Photos isn't out yet. When it is I guarantee the second or third minor Yosemite update renders Aperture incompatible ( for no actual technical reason). Photos and Aperture will not coexist except for a cursory short period. Otherwise no Aperture user would ever bother with Photos.Migrating before that time makes perfect sense.
Maybe I'm missing something.  But why, when we want to quote an entire post, including what has been quoted in it, quoting only gives us that post's author's text.  Multiquote means hopping around for five minutes to find the other quotes and hitting muliquote, at which post they end up out of order.   Why can't we just hit one button to quote a whole post?  Or can we?
     I'm basing iTunes not being the same big gorilla in the room based on the factors I mention, not its revenues.  I think if Apple thought it was still in the same "gorilla" position it was ten years ago they wouldn't have made any purchases at all nor hired any outsiders to come in.  iTunes' revenue has grown tremendously since then but so has everything else's revenue that has been a part of the transition completely away from physical media.  What iTunes has lacked...
 But iTunes' problem is that while it has the Apple Juggernaut behind it it really is not perceived as the cool place to get music.  It's just there, and as noted in your face when you buy a Mac.  A company like Pandora, Spotify, et al making the headway they did in the time they did would have been unheard of 5 years previously.  From what I see all around me I simply do not see iTunes currently as the big gorilla in the room anymore, and that's how Apple functions best,...
 I took it as going to work for a wacky niche white thrash rap trio isn't a bad career move. At least in 1995.
 You've summed up my feelings well.  This has certainly been the case through the Mini's history and they've had many opportunities to respond to the many who've been begging for the Mini to be current, but it clearly isn't their intent.   The comparison to the iPod Touch is a good one.
 I totally get Apple's portables driving their computer business.  But they've been making the OS X laptops thinner and lighter so regularly that it really seems as if the thinness and light weight of the MBPs have, or soon will, reach the point where they just can't make the best machine with that ever shrinking profile as a priority.   The Mini, OTOH, can be a box of 2 inches more or 4 oz heavier and it won't matter, but you've gotten an important piece of board in...