or Connect

Posts by jlandd

It really does take on the feel of a place that is trying to make you give up before you find what you need, doesn't it? You have to click on five links to go to where you thought you needed to go, but it turns out to bring you back to an unhelpful page you were on three clicks ago. It's such a weird thing, that the Apple site is designed so un-Apple like. Here's a perfect example: You're at the main level of a support subject, say Aperture. You want to do a search. ...
The Apple community discussions used to be a great place to solve an issue but they haven't been for a while. Apple made a handful of gradual changes over the past few years and it's degenerated quite a bit, but I hesitate to blame the posters too much. It's currently laid out terribly, the search function is nearly guaranteed to NOT give useful returns on a subject you already know is hotly discussed, and much as I'm an Apple devotee, there is no worse place to try to...
Do you mean MacRumors? Last I checked MacOSRumors its front story was a week old and the most controversial thing in the whole place was a blurb about the color of the iPad case.
This American Life works incredibly hard to dot every i and cross every t. This story pales in comparison to the show they did on a particular juvenile judge taking the law in her own hands last year. Serious lawsuits were threatened toward them but they held their ground and their research and reporting in that case was airtight in spite of claims made by opposing lawyers. Didn't listen to this show. It seemed like the kind of dumb thing that doesn't amuse me, and I...
But don't you think that's because Android is like a space alien that you can't even figure out which end is the head, or which of its twenty heads is the one you should be concerned about? What Apple has created is something that people know where to go for stuff like this. To Apple. Not to be flip and say that Congress looked up Android in the phone book and didn't find anything, but that's the gist. There's unfortunately a hundred places to turn to root out...
Isn't that kind of like criticizing the medical community for doing diabetes research while people are dying of cancer?
ghostface, I feel your pain regarding vendors, but respectfully the hassle of getting them up to speed or switching vendors pales in comparison to the time you spend writing and labeling media. It was borderline in maybe 2010 but in 2012 GoogleDocs and Dropbox have solved the issue of the person on the other end not understanding how to ftp. Seriously, any vendor who doesn't let you exchange a few gigs of files online every week, however you do it, is probably not up to...
Now that more info has come out it's pretty clear it won't be a major shift. Only change is that instead of only the lowest models having integrated graphics it's looking like half the midline will as well. And the upper tier MBPs aren't losing GPUs so there's not much to argue about.
And not foreseeing it arriving on those manufacturers computers meant the peripheral makers all took a "wait and see, no rush" approach. So it kills those of us WITH it because we've had so little to use it with. Without a market for it it doesn't matter how great it is. You can't convince anyone they need something if they can't see it in use that shows it off amazingly. A Thunderbolt monitor or hard drive isn't going to do it. Looking forward for this holding...
Well, sort of. But two things regarding Apple have changed this for pros in both audio and image work, and they are that high end MBPs have shown to be very suitable for heavy lifting in these areas (especially with an external monitor) and that Apple desktops have been extremely underwhelming for too long. Pros who don't need the slots have not been motivated to go the desktop route, since the desktops have been so long in the tooth for so long. When that changes it...