or Connect

Posts by jlandd

I happen to still be a Verizon customer for several things, my landline, DSL and 4 cell phone plan over several decades. It all randomly and without strategy fell in place, but it does give me one ability, and that is that when I say without pause that there is no company that is more horrible to deal with, is more apt to screw your accounts up and be more impossible to fix problems with, I can say it with 25 years first hand experience. The only reason I don't drop them...
Aperture's noise reduction has always been a joke. Terrible. LR has useful NR. This is not disputable : ) OTOH, while I haven't had a chance to delve deeply into LR's new shadow detail adjustments, Aperture's shadow adjustments have been completely useful and great for ages. There's a good chance that this update brings it in line with Aperture's, but that's been a long time coming. There are several Aperture features where it trumps LR, but also the reverse is...
No, the double edged sword of Apple lowering the marketplace value of software to levels that are often unrealistic for a developer to set their price at. Wasn't talking about the app store at all. Don't get me wrong, getting tools into the computers of the non pros who wouldn't have spent $300 is a great thing. But the OSX software marketplace in terms of variety in the mid to upper realm has vastly shrunk as a result, regardless of what's wonderful about the App...
True, but there's a bit of a downside when you consider that not all software developers are part of an evil empire conglomerate. (Though indy games are big, because people who like games will keep buying $1.99 games the way we used to drop $2 on comics at the candy store monthly). Check out the user forums on sites for "everything but games" software and look for enthusiasm from the developers on great new versions for $10 instead of $75. It's killed the small...
Although it's Aperture and not LR that has the well deserved reputation as behaving like an alpha release for years, but whatever. (and I've been on Aperture since shelling out for v1)
Biggest factor is that they are two very different ways of working. You'd base your preference on the working paradigm rather than if either is a "better" program. There are surely differences is speed and some features existing or not, but truthfully 75% of Aperture users don't even know what softproofing is much less use it : ) so much feature comparison isn't going to be a deciding factor. Most Aperture users just were happy they had an $80 image program (and were...
Absolutely, and it was worth it before this update and at $300. Now it's a no brainer.
Same here. Google now basically doesn't let you use any of their services without allowing them access to your browser. Obviously, it's not just Google, it's anyone who can, including Apple. The only reason to not say "I pass" is because it's more or less too late. There is no such thing anymore as browsing without being tracked by a friendly (as opposed to a virus/worm) online presence, even when you opt out of everything. * sigh *
I agree, although this doesn't mean that developments aren't going on behind the curtain in the content dept. But I'm with you insofar as I have a box (well, a Roku, but the point is the same), attached via HDMI to a TV, which gets wifi from my router. The TV, two years old, is big enough and has more more ins and outs than I use (actually I don't use any). I'm set. At this stage content is the only upgrade or downgrade I would do. And not because there's nothing...
Sshhhhhhh. That doesn't make the point he was trying to make.