or Connect

Posts by jlandd

I got us a Roku 2 XS this Dec after waffling between it and an AppleTV for way too long, and finally made the decision to pull the trigger so that it would make it under the Xmas tree. To my surprise, it really performs basically flawlessly. I'm completely happy with it and what is in the bundle. My home internet (Verizon DSL in Brooklyn, NY, really terible) is unable to stream videos on Netflix without noticeable and frequent stalling to buffer on any computer here...
Wondering if the new Google data use policy will have any effect. Granted, hardly anyone associates buying any hardware, even an Android phone, with Google's tentacles, so... But this thing about not being able to register a phone with just a lame duck gmail account is notable. It creates a Google profile and Google + account, which then puts what you post as part of their search results, with no opting out? And worse, Google sending alerts when your location...
That was like buying a hammer when they were trying to drill something. Blaming the tool is incorrect.Not true. See my post about the NAMM show. They are incredible remote front ends for anything you can imagine. Moog synths, recording studio mixers, the list goes on, and that's just in the industry I know about. I can only imagine how they're being used in others. They enable some developers to not even MAKE a hardware front end for their hardware, with the knobs...
No. Here's a great example of why the iPads are doing very well: at the recent NAMM (Natl Assoc of Music Merchants) show in L.A., THE trade show for dealers of anything to do with pro audio and music hardware and software, iPads were everywhere. Not as notepads for the attendees, as parts of products on display. Mackie, MOTU, Akai, Moog, etc., in fact it seemed practically NOBODY didn't have an iPad centric product. These aren't like the silly iPod docks you see in...
If you're saying the Fire is a fantastic quality, wonderful performer I'd say you've never used one. Maybe same as you've never used an iPad for a week? Anyway, if the iPad is "anachronistic" in five years I can only imagine what adjective we'll be able to use for the Fire by then . In it's wildest dreams it wishes it could rate "anachronistic" as the worst thing it will appear as.
And besides, just because we read the tech forums for such things, the rest of the world still doesn't, and 75% of iPad users I'll wager fall into the latter group. Whatever the figure is one can bet that many more people planning on getting an iPad this winter are blissfully unaffected by any of these kinds of announcements than are, especially ones as vague as this one. We're talking people who don't even glance at the tech pages of their local newspapers and wouldn't...
The name of the game, at some point, ceases to become further advancement and focuses on becoming the standard. You do this by taking what you have and getting it into where it will be used, not by chasing a technological carrot. It's now about market penetration. Speaking for myself I am often seeing iPads in music production studios, both high end and project, since a $500 widget and an inexpensive app (V-Control seems to me to be the front runner and it's $50) and...
I'd say (and not snarkily) that if something is labeled a consumer device no one is expected to be surprised when it breaks in six months. It's sort of a qualifier, like "You should always see a doctor before taking any weight loss supplement. In some cases users may experience abdominal pains, so if your intestines feel like they're about to explode see a doctor and stop ordering diet pills from informercials."
Insert "later on" joke here. : )
Insert joke about wishing it were available sooner so I could use it with all of my currently available ThunderBolt products here.