or Connect

Posts by jlandd

Server grade meant something years ago, but these days I agree that it doesn't mean nearly as much as far as actually higher quality. Where the designs are nearly identical and the server warrantee is longer I just assume that the drives are at least getting some better, or an additional layer of, QC. Sometimes the stated MTBF seems more like an insurance policy detail than an actual performance one.I think the fan issue in desktop drives has been an interesting...
Again, you're ignoring the point. I have a happy backup system with drives of various companies that I use confidently. My personal experience with LaCIe products over the past decade is that their quality control is too poor to get into my place again, despite such snazzy cases. Stop harping for a moment about the life of mechanisms, which isn't even what I'm talking about. I'm talking about dead enclosures and flakey power supplies that can kill mechanisms. Thank...
Marvin, that's a really keen observation, and one that hadn't occurred to me even as I was ranting about their treatment of their software. It's quite the irony that people chide the hardware aspect and software aspect of Apple use from the polar opposite sides. But as a lifelong Mac user who has stuck with the platform because I favor the OS I agree. They have a decidedly anti-"i" attitude when it comes to their hardware, and and not a speck of the Macintosh seriously...
As I stated earlier, do you have any idea about the history of Shake? To call it merely Apple end of lifing it as if it was the smartest move to make shows you don't. Apple strung on people who bought into Shake. It would be child's play to find slew of FCP editors who felt royally screwed by that fiasco. That's a TERRIBLE example of strategic EOL. It's a story that you could never find an Apple employee on the project who would characterize it with the positive...
At this point you should scroll to all the posts where you've chastised someone for stating any well thought out potential aspect of the future as baseless. Your do realize all your posts contain mostly assumptions?
There's little money in it for a fickle company like Apple. If you had the faintest clue about what populates pro video houses you'd know there is huge money there for the players, of which Apple is not one. Do you even "know" any professionals? The consumer market is multitudes more fickle than the pro market. Pick up a handful of trade mags. Go to the ads. Look up the financials of the players. The upper tier video production market is made up of companies...
Nobody's whining. Users of FCP are saying "We wish Apple didn't leave the upper tier pro video market" What are you considering whining? When I say I can't do a multitrack session without multicam support and discrete audio assignment with this because it doesn't offer it? That's not whining. That's like calling me a Fanboy because I prefer Macs. It's ignorant. Jobs is right as far as what direction Apple goes in for its stockholders. Right all along as far as what...
Oh Jeez... : ) Don't mention Shake among FCP editors unless you can deal with them screaming their heads off for an hour and then collapsing in a heap. Whether people could actually use Shake is something you should never ask of, or put the onus of, on the end user. Shake was a major Apple screwup.
The big picture is that there is no reason that had to do with creating a new 64 bit program that has anything to do with most of the functions not currently in FCPX. For example, assignable audio? No, there is no coding that preventing this from being a feature. The world is full of 64 bit DAWs. This was a conscious decision to not include it, to keep this program within its projected scope. Exporting and importing EDL, XML, AAF and OMF had nothing preventing them...
Not the point. LaCie shipped out an overwhelming number of various drives over many years with power supplies that failed within weeks. Google it. This was a simple QC issue that could have been taken care of when reports first started rolling in, but instead went on for years. For the past decade LaCie spent money on fancy designer enclosures instead of better QC and CS.