or Connect

Posts by jlandd

The pro video community that Apple has had has been hedging their bets for years, some would say since the debacle with Compressor a decade ago. Apple has sold a lot of FCP no question, and most houses have FCP suites as well as other formats. And if you're talking about the creative independent world Apple is doing well, and even most editors I know here in NYC who specialize in another format have picked up FCP and learned it as a tool to increase their worth. But not...
Once again Apple looks to have taken 3 steps forward and 3 and a half back. It's a very limited niche now, unless they make some changes. iMovie users might want to move up but many don't have to (I still fire up my old G4 for an old version of iMovie instead of the current one, but that's another story). A pro user isn't put off by a $1,300 price tag if it does the job and neither are they enticed by a $300 price if it doesn't. I just can't see Apple shoring up...
Yes. How many emergency updates have there been due to yet another security issue in Flash? Whatever it actually is it sure seems like it's been weekly for the past decade. Fortunately, since my only dealing with Flash are my Flash blockers, I can ignore them. And Flash has been getting less relevant instead of more, so people like Narayen just keep looking very foolish. Flash may be ubiquitous, but it's a nightmare of crap, and I don't mean the crap of Flash videos or...
My bad. Not being a smartphone owner I mistook it for storage.
Well, consider me an Apple fanboy but I'm smelling iPhones coming with a choice of a 2 gig card for $20 or a 4 gig one for $35, with no option to buy one without the card so you could get an 8 gig one at NewEgg for $12, and I'm not being facetious.
CNET, which is saying there's a good chance it will be color e-ink makes a good point today regarding the trade off necessary for the right price point. It will need to either do away with the touch screen navigation in favor of hardware buttons or keep the form as small as it is now and not add any features. Personally, my dislike of the hardware button navigated readers is greater than my desire for a better thing to read on than a backlit LCD (which I agree is...
I played with a new Nook for the first time as I was thinking of it as a Mother's Day gift, as $250 is what we'd spend. I figured as long as I felt it was a good user experience that's all I needed to know. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked using it in general for web browsing. I would even get one for myself just to have a better widget to surf while prone than my iPod touch, which I love. But as far as a newer, better, more expensive Nook I'd warn B &...
Yep. iMac means "pop". Can you imagine the noses turned up by people who pass by one and see how normal instead of zingy it looks? I'm matte screen all around, but that's like telling Mercedes to make some sensible family cars. It ain't the niche. If you want a matte screen don't waste your time signing the petition. Just get something that comes in matte.
When I'm on a tablet aside from reading a literal book, which is portrait, I find myself doing nearly everything else in landscape, including reading web content. Even for email I prefer it because I can have more columns useful and can see more preview text. Is it only books that don't reorient? Or is browsing also portrait only? I wouldn't use a tablet that forced you to browse in portrait.
This was the opposite of that. At the ones I stopped by no one who went for an iPad was getting anything else while they were there. They were asking to see managers and had smoke coming out of their ears. I guarantee that none will ever return to a BB for anything other than an emergency ink cartridge.I was able to amuse myself for 30 minutes (while waiting for a friend) by continually going over to the display model on 5th Ave and putting this page on it. : )