or Connect

Posts by jlandd

But I have been stuck many times as an Apple user where I waited out version 1, bought version 2 and STILL considered myself an unofficial beta tester for three or four years, Aperture being the most recent and most affecting. Maybe they don't do official beta programs but they sure do have a history of certain releases being unfinished and beta-like.
Maybe. But personally I'd love a great cheap tablet with no apps at all, just a great browsing experience.
Thanks for the link. Excellent words. Everyone should read these few short sentences. It sums it up better than anyone else could. I'll take the liberty of quoting it, from macrumors: From Ron Brinkmann, from the original product design team of Shake: "After the acquisition I remember sitting in a roomful of Hollywood VFX pros where Steve told everybody point-blank that we/Apple were going to focus on giving them powerful tools that were far more cost-effective than...
Ironically Pixar can't use FCPX for two main reasons: It's software you can't use in huge collaborating teams, due to its lack of import/export. And its software you can't use when you work on films that take many years to finish, for the same reason.
Two words: people recognition.
The magician analogy is on the mark. Although I followed it in the media and wasn't present I recall the NAB presentation as NOT the final released, finished program. There were many aspects that they absolutely left cryptic and up in the air. No one *seemed* to ask? Says who? There WERE unanswered questions but Apple did not use NAB or any time since then until the release to answer them. IIRC, after NAB no one even knew that Compressor wasn't part of the install...
All good points, but I would put more emphasis on how the Shake fiasco (and for others the problems with Compressor. Soundtrack not being useable I always just wrote off as drag one could ignore) began the lack of faith for many that it was worth it to commit to FCP as their main format. Some time after Apple discontinued it they announced, more or less officially IIRC, that its more modern replacement was imminent in the next handful of quarters. Then they annoyed a...
Server grade meant something years ago, but these days I agree that it doesn't mean nearly as much as far as actually higher quality. Where the designs are nearly identical and the server warrantee is longer I just assume that the drives are at least getting some better, or an additional layer of, QC. Sometimes the stated MTBF seems more like an insurance policy detail than an actual performance one.I think the fan issue in desktop drives has been an interesting...
Again, you're ignoring the point. I have a happy backup system with drives of various companies that I use confidently. My personal experience with LaCIe products over the past decade is that their quality control is too poor to get into my place again, despite such snazzy cases. Stop harping for a moment about the life of mechanisms, which isn't even what I'm talking about. I'm talking about dead enclosures and flakey power supplies that can kill mechanisms. Thank...
Marvin, that's a really keen observation, and one that hadn't occurred to me even as I was ranting about their treatment of their software. It's quite the irony that people chide the hardware aspect and software aspect of Apple use from the polar opposite sides. But as a lifelong Mac user who has stuck with the platform because I favor the OS I agree. They have a decidedly anti-"i" attitude when it comes to their hardware, and and not a speck of the Macintosh seriously...