or Connect

Posts by a Martin

I fully agree with Lemon here. At work we have been waiting fot quite some time to buy new Mac Pro's. I don't want to buy the current ones because of the reasons stated above (same price as when introduced over a year ago, now old graphics card etc.) and in this case there is no discussion that one feels a bit ”locked” having just Apple as the hardware vendor. Or I guess that would be fine if the updates was more frequent and more in pace with the rest of the industry. I'd...
Yup, Flash on the Mac is a sad story. It seems to slow the entire web browsing experience down. Many times when loading a page containing a lot of Flash elements Safari stalls (beach ball) for a few seconds and now with Safari 5 and Flash 10.1 it's more choppy to scroll pages containing Flash than it was before (Safari 4 and Flash 10.1 seem OK though and so do Flash 10 and Safari 5). I don't see anything of this when browsing in Windows 7 on the same hardware. For...
Tunnel shooter!? Sounds like you're talking about another game.Half-Life 2 series is still one of my favorite single player experiences.
No Mac Pro until August?If that's the case it's really time for Apple to introduce a desktop without all the ”Xeon class” components. We are in need of Mac Pro's at work (photo retouch), but it would feel crazy to pay such a high price for the technology in the current Mac Pro (over one year old). If one look around what components are available if you build your own PC it almost makes a switch to Windows feel like a good option – especially now with Windows 7 which seems...
Of course there other things Apple can improve.I don't have much experience with the i7 MacBook Pro's when it comes to heat, but we've bought a few at work so I'll probably have an opinion soon.”yelling "step it up, 256 is so 2001!" on a forum isnt gonna change them.”Of course not and that's not something I'd expect. But letting other people know about this issue isn't a bad thing. I have also contacted Apple and been speaking to the ”Executive Relations EMEA” at Apple...
Yes, exactly. On the 256 MB one the lowest FPS get a lot worse (when running in 2560 x 1600) than on the other two with with 512 MB. Also in on X-Plane test there's 10 FPS difference between the 256 MB and 512 MB. On the ET:QW test the 256 MB is 0,2 FPS better and on the Halo test it's 0,9. That tests that 256 MB winds feels more like a coincidence.What is it you mean I don't understand correctly in the Bare Feats test?If I don't know what I'm talking about and if VRAM...
Have you tried Windows 7? I'm pretty sure the match would be to the Windows machines advantage in many cases, especially when it comes to browsing the web and scrolling web pages. There's definitely some things that Windows do better, graphic card acceleration (and the drivers for the graphics cards) seems to be one thing.
When I look at the bars there on Bare Feats' test I see that orange bar showing that the MBP with 256 MB VRAM is quite a lot worse than the 512 MB ones when it comes the lowest FPS.Also I'm quite sure it depends on what you do with the computer. If you just have a browser and a few windows open the difference in VRAM won't be noticed, but when the number of windows on the screen start to grow I'm pretty sure it matters.Here's a dialog from Photoshop running on a three...
256 MB VRAM is a joke this day and age! It shouldn't even be present on any of the 15" models. 512 MB VRAM for the entry models and 1 GB for the more expensive ones. Especially now when Starcraft II is getting closer... Any ideas on why they (Apple) are so skimpy when it comes to this?
A real world example where the limited VRAM hinders usability – Adobe Photoshop: That dialog is from a three years old MacBook Pro that has 256 MB VRAM, just like some of the just released 15" models.