or Connect

Posts by RichL

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Steam OS is released. Will developers port their games to it? OS X's range of games has increased significantly since Valve release Steam for OS X.  
I never did like his BBC Radio 1 show.
 The number of times I've tried to lock my iPad with my finger is embarrassing. 
 AT&T used two GSM bands, neither unique to the US. Penta-band GSM modems were also common by 2007. The original iPhone had a quad-band GSM modem that allowed it to be used in Europe (on carriers such as O2) as well as the US. It was never a lack of willingness by the manufacturers that stopped high end, attractive phones appearing for US GSM/EDGE. It was that AT&T/Cingular never wanted them. Sony Ericsson even tried selling its high-end touchscreen smartphones direct to...
 AT&T/Cingular was the biggest US carrier by the end of 2006, edging out Verizon by a couple of percentage points. That's not 'struggling' in my book. Apple partnered with the biggest network in America and also the one that allowed it to make a single, global iPhone. Verizon might have been at the negotiating table at some point but AT&T/Cingular was clearly the prize.    By 2007, Japan was not a CDMA nation, it was a UMTS nation. The majority of NTT DoCoMo's customers...
 How can you possibly say that Apple wasn't in a position to dictate anything? Apple carved out a revenue-sharing model with AT&T than was practically unique in the mobile world. Apple also insisted on bundled data and no carrier branding. None of the incumbents were in a position to do that. It was always going to take an outsider to change the mobile industry. And Apple did just that.
You're missing one player out of this ménage-a-trois - the carriers. I did some contracting work at Sony Ericsson pre-iPhone. They'd already produced several large touchscreen smartphones (P800, P900, etc.) and wanted to create a premium Walkman branded touchscreen phone. If you heard someone describe it without knowing the manufacturer, you would probably have thought that it was an iPhone. The problem was that Sony Ericsson, like all of the traditional manufacturers,...
Isn't this the very last quarter of Nokia phones before the phone brand rides off into the sunset?
I wonder what's holding this thing up? Seems like it's been in beta for forever.   Is there a new product on the horizon that Apple might be waiting for?
 I don't think anyone is denying that the cost of business is higher in the UK or that Apple is the only company to add some form of mark-up to their products. It's the level of mark-up that's the issue.  For example, the mark-up on a Canon 7D ($1299 ex. tax vs. £990 inc. tax on Amazon) is a little over 5%. The mark-up on the MBA is a little over 15%.