or Connect

Posts by hmurchison

Half the time would be difficult to prove in court.   Burden of proof falls with the plaintiff.   I'm betting that for most of the tasks shown in commercials the success rate is far higher than 50%      Now I see why Australia pays such high prices.   Distance causing expensive shipping and a bureaucratic system that will only penalize the consumers (the silly 4G thing).  Sucks to them.      There are plenty of reasons why people by the iPhone 4s that don't involve Siri...
  I don't think that's what he's saying.   I think what he's saying is that lowering the bar of entry for Apple products creates a Halo effect.  As the person gets acclimated to Apple's ecosystem they eventually move upscale in their purchases. Apple doesn't do loss leaders so they'll never chase the low end without regard to profit.    As a content distributor Apple has little risk in trying to expand the overall market for iOS.  They aren't beholden to advertising...
Apple would not call it an iPod.      I still have friends that are surprised when I tell them the iPod Touch can play movies and surf the internet and access email.   To consumers  "iPod", by and large, means music player.  
I don't see what's so difficult to grasp here.   The iPad in it's current form is great for a general device.    It does get a bit heavy  for gaming or reading books IMO.    Even if you drop the price to $299 you haven't deal with making a lighter device that is easier to transport, game and read on.  Some people are  price sensitive and some are going to be weight/size sensitive.    If you look at the new iPad.  Everything is over-engineered.   Retina...
8GB for tablets is too low IMO.    NAND storage is getting much cheaper    http://news.softpedia.com/news/SSD-Prices-to-Go-Low-as-0-4-dollars-per-Gigabyte-267666.shtml   16GB should be the minimum. 
Smaller devices are more difficult to engineer.         An iPhone 4S is $649 for 16GB  an iPad with larger hirez screen, larger battery and LTE cellular is $629.  In electronics making something larger is the easy  task.  Making it small and functional is considerably more difficult. 
I've ignored Greenpeace a long time ago.    I realize they are trying to get maximum impact by chasing Apple but in the end it means, to me, they're goal is compromised.  Acting like nutcases isn't helping. 
Area of need for this to happen    1.  Unified standard for LTE and good coverage of 3G for fallback  2.  Low cost low power chip and antenna system  3.  Shared Data Plans becoming the norm  4. Carriers moving to cloud enablement for some of their features. 
Most likely because there's financial gain in parity.     Most of the large carriers are pretty vocal about their disdain for phone subsidy and the iPhone commands amongst the largest of subsidy.  This puts more money in Apple's pocket than the carrier.    So what Verizon or AT&T will do is attempt to create parity amongst the brands they carry making sure not to let Android get too large.   They are already  beginning to hype up the Lumia phones (not that...
So my landlady was contemplating moving off her MVNO based phone provider to Verizon and was asking me about  the iPhone.   Her boyfriend has an iPhone and they wanted to Facetime and message each other.      Well she just walked in with a Verizon bag and a HTC Rezound.  Evidently they made the Rezound sound like a world beater. Even  hyped up the Beats by Dre audio.    It's not a bad looking phone but going through the UI IMO is just a mess.  I didn't want...