or Connect

Posts by hmurchison

Will never work.  Once you establish yourself as a premium brand you can somewhat insulate yourself from the "race to the bottom" antics of your competitors.  Much like Target can run as many sales as they want Nordstrom's will be unaffected because they clientele are different.  Apple's biggest task is to maintain premium status. 
We're probably a generation away.   Broadcom did announce the UltraHD 4K BCM7445 early in the year but it's aimed at STB and could use a bit too much power.   I'm thinking this update will carry us forward and Apple TV 5th generation will support 4K and higher bit-rates.  8-10Mbps of HEVC would look fantastic in 1080 and perhaps acceptable in UltraHD. 
Best bet is the next Apple TV won't be a drastic change.    Basically Apple's gonna drop in a BCM4350 (announced at Computex in the summer)  bringing the Apple TV up to 802.11AC.  Makes sense to me seeing as how they have 11ac Airport Routers now.  It's time to move  the entire lineup to 11ac. 
I wonder if Sonos could deliver an updated bridge which supports Airplay directly.    The advantages here are clear.  You  have a friend that comes over and wants to play a music track for you.  Airplay allows you to put his/her phone on your Wifi  and then access the speaker.    It would appear that if this is feasible Sonos would be able to Airplay their speakers without costing their existing user base  a lot of money. 
The mini sells to businesses at least 2:1 versus consumers.    It's not the rank and file Joe Six Pack that will complain that the mini is gone it is  education and business that buy these things by the bushel for dept servers and  a variety of other uses.    It's the vertical markets like Savant Systems that use Mac mini to run home automation  platforms.    Apple should be finding ways to reduce the cost of the mini. A $499 mini isn't going to cannibalize  the...
PSA:      The Beats Pill sounds like crap.   If you have a budget of $200 for a bluetooth speaker.   The choices are simple.    1. Jambox Mini  2. Bose Soundlink Mini 3. Logitech UE Boom    Reviews of the Play 1 are damn good.   I'm torn.  Luckily I don't have to make a decision anytime soon.  
I did my fair share of touring new home construction East of Seattle and what i've found is that basically few builders  care at all about offering any kind of modern wiring for homes.     I'm glad that we have 802.11ac routers finally from Apple but my hope is that these are rapidly updated with more functional models in the next 24 months.     I think the typical home that has a plethora of smart phones, tablets, laptop/desktop and networked media devices is...
I've read a few reviews and they've all been positive about the Play 1.    Clearly it is a loss leader  product but it's really tough to make a decent sounding speaker with networking for sub $200.    My Libratone Zipp sounds pretty good but it's twice the cost of the Play 1. 
And makes some BIG waves    http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/wifi_music_systems/index.jsp&intcmp=HPPANEL1    Pandora streaming only right now but more services are coming.    Airplay support  NAS support coming  Lossless supporting coming (ALAC, FLAC)    Speakers  SoundTouch 30 - $700  SoundTouch 20- $400  SoundTouch Portable - $400    SoundTouch Acoustimass systems ready  SoundTouch Digital Amp for existing speakers  SoundTouch...
I'm not buying the hype that we're in a Post PC era.   Mobile is certainly strong but  I'd be loath to give up my MBA and iMac 27 to move to iPhone/iPad only I loathe that thought.    Next Mac up with be a Haswell Mac mini and then I'm hoping to to replace my MBA and my gf MBP  with rMBP next spring.    As always Apple has models coming in the wings and the Mac cognoscenti know to wait.