or Connect

Posts by hmurchison

Yup.  HEVC is going to make life for Netflix a whole lot easier once the hardware gets out an into homes.    Curiously Apple was rumored to be making a play in CDN (Content Delivery Network)   http://gigaom.com/2014/02/03/apple-is-reportedly-building-out-its-own-content-delivery-network/  The timing is coincidental isn't it? 
Add in Sprite Kit as well and it's obvious that iOS gaming is expanding out to the television.   We won't know for sure until Apple announces it but it's extremely likely. 
Betting it's a confluence of factors.  Supply -  Apple would need a lot of A7 processors and Broadcom supporting chips Software- I feel like it's non-trivial to take games from mobile devices to a larger TV smoothly.  Plus there needs to be wow factor.  I don't think the hardware is ready.   Broadcom just announced their new HEVC stuff with means volume production starts soon. 
 Aren't the pixel shapes different from computing displays versus HDTV displays?
I"m guessing a A7 or variant alongside a Broadcom BCM7364 for HEVC support.  I think 4K is a shoe in because if the rumors are true that Apple's investing in more content distribution infrastructure they could leverage an efficient codec like HEVC to not only deliver 4K content but to also shrink their current 1080p content to half its size.  I figure during the handshake processor for streaming a movie the servers notice that HEVC decoding is available and sends the...
That makes the most sense.  There's no need to pre-announce a product that supposedly isn't shipping until Christmas time "unless" it requires the support of 3rd party software developers.  Pretty much a tacit confirmation of App store support. 
I LOVE the word "ignominious".  Excellent job sir.  I'm going to reserve judgement on the wearables until I start seeing some killer applications.   I think it's going to take some truly awesome (and accurate) sensors beyond what i'm seeing in 80 % today. 
Oh yes    Make it 4K UHD Apple.  
$400 sounds a bit on the high side.  Toss in a A7 which has more than enough Oomph for games.   Add the Routing functionality and 16GB of NAND storage (should cost no more than the 8GB that Gen 3 comes with)   I'm thinking $199-249   Apple keeps Gen 3 around at $99 for those that don't need the extra features. 
I had wondered what streaming would be like with two Apple TV.  I'm guessing there's about a 10ms latency between the streams.  Wonder if the Apple TV 4th Gen will use the new Broadcom WICED stuff that sends sync data in the wifi packets.   imagine being able to have accurate sync of audio to video with Airplay speakers.  I also think that having a HDMI pass through would make integration even easier.   I spend a majority of my time switching between my cable-box and Apple...