or Connect

Posts by hmurchison

If Nest cared about energy they wouldn't have made their second product an overdone Smoke Detector.    They would have done this  http://econetcontrols.com/EV100.phpSimply tossing in a smartphone enabled thermostat doesn't make your home smart.   Ideally you'd want to control the entire flow of heat to rooms as you say Dick and have this automated. 
What got Nest purchased was 1.1 million homes sending their data up to Nest's Cloud.   When Fadell talks about scaling the product he's talking about turning on my Nest products and gather more lucrative data.   This data is Google's sweet nectar and potentially worth Billions.      If Google wanted IoT devices they could have purchased 20 companies for less money but most of these companies would have little to no dataset to start mining. 
Nest owes a lot of it's attention to the fact that Fadell and Rogers were ex Apple Execs.   If they don't have that as a marketing piece the road they travel becomes much harder.    Nests technology is great but don't fool yourself into thinking that there isn't competition.    Netatmo Therm -  Neatly ties in to their weather station    Centralite Pearl Therm -  Will be using Zigbee Home Automation 1.2    Tado Therm - UK's best shot at a Nest...
I wonder if Google with do anything with Nest property myenergy.com 
Exactly   ADT sends me a placard every single month about their HA/Security services.  I'm surprised AT&T isn't pounding down my door along with Comcast.   This field is going to rapidly heat up as the big companies align themselves.   Nest wasn't going to survive without offering Subscription Services and a lot more products.   Smart move from them was to sell. 
I totally think Nest is more appropriate for Google rather than Apple because Google thrives off of info and that's what Nest will give them via their huge datasets.  What I want Apple to do here is let us know what side of the Home Automation are they going to come down on.  Zwave, Zigbee or 6LowPAN or some proprietary format of their own creation?   As much disdain as I have for the grandiose "Internet of Things" hyperbole being spouted off daily I do think this year is...
Fck Square  Dwolla is the purchase you want if you're talking financial transactions. 
"Innovation is in our DNA"     Could have fooled me Tim.