or Connect

Posts by hmurchison

You seem oblivious to "modern" day tech. It matters not what the market looked like 6 years ago. The PPC 60x series were not multicore until the very ends and the development tools were nowhere as sophisticated as they are today. We cannot glean much from what the market was like a half decade ago and apply it to today and future computing needs. AMDs roadmap, on paper, is strong for 2011 provided they hit their targets and deliver.
This difference in X86 support is miniscule compared to the PPC to X86 transition in which Endian issues alone caused much work to be done. Again I'll continue to harp on this. With Apple's support and collaboration on LLVM/Clang it would be as simple as a compiler flag to target an AMD based machine.
If it happened once it can happen twice. We'll see how well Bulldozer works. Intel rode their new Yonah/Merom and successor cores to great success. In the epic AMD/Intel battle the "seesaw" action really comes from leveraging new cores. If Bulldozer and some of the better power/watt AMD cores come out and perform well then it's a whole new ballgame. AMD has an unquestionable lead in GPU technology compared to Intel so their integrated options are going to perform...
Makes zero sense and I heard the same from some just after the Intel announcement. Mac users are about the software and always have been. PPC was rarely the fastest but it was fast enough to be productive.
No. AMD is the same ISA (X86) . Building in support would be a piece of cake by comparison.
For Geeks. Consumers don't care and they see AMD branded hardware in every Best Buy across the US. Opteron has enjoyed a good reputation amongst IT professional. I'm not stuck on any hardware. I choose Macintosh because of the software and that included the slow era with the G4.
Excellent first post and welcome to the boards TheOtherGeoff. I agree wholeheartedly
AMD has been shipping Opteron servers for ages in 24/7 environments. I'm not too worried about them delivering garbage.
+1 AMD pricing, the Bulldozer core and superior GPU options are likely the features Apple likes the most.
Apple wouldn't have any problem leaving Intel or at least adding AMD. They bailed on IBM when they saw a superior roadmap from Intel and frankly it's easy to see how Apple could bail on Intel because of the Bulldozer/Magny Cours & Sao Paolo lineup. Here's an AMD blogger on the "Intel Tax" http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/04/16...-on-this-year/"I like money" Frito Pendejo