or Connect

Posts by veblen

If this was a simple mistake and the code wasn't used just simply existed off to the side in some minor branch of their repository what would the damages be? If there was minimal commercial gain by Google and minimal commercial loss from Oracle would the amount of damages be newsworthy? The more I read about this the less important this code seems.
I don't own an android phone. I've owned only iphones and I'm long on AAPL. The only thing I disagree with TBell on is how distributed this code was and how key it was to Android itself. TBell stated in his later post that damages in cases like this do depend on the commercial gain and loss. TBell stated "Moreover, the issue likely will center around whether using the code benefitted Google in some commercial fashion. If Google used the code in some fashion that didn't...
Those are all good points. You explained yourself very well. I think where we disagree here is in the commercial benefit of the code in question. If I'm understanding correctly these were simply test files uploaded by a third party (not google) which were not central to the product and which could simply be deleted from their repository because they were included by mistake. Simple mistakes like this happen. I haven't read that these files were used to expedite the...
No worries on missing the distribute part. In reference to B) I believe one of the arguments Google was making was that some of the files were only used on internal test devices and were not distributed to external parties. You mentioned that even if the only people who Google distributed the code to were bloggers who just analyzed it for copyright issues that Google was guilty. I agree, but in this scenario what financial damage did this do to Oracle and what did Google...
Thanks I'll take a look at statutory damages. Are there any infringing copies though? The code wasn't in the copies of the software that shipped. There isn't any evidence that Google actually used it.
I asked"I can put code in a repository and not distribute it to anyone else without violating a license can't I?"You replied "No you cannot."Your explaining that Google did distribute the code doesn't answer my question. I agree it was the act of distributing the code under a different license that would be the problem for Google. But how does this explain why I can't put code in a repository, not distribute it to anyone and violate the license.
In this instance Google didn't take a chapter of Oracle's code and write a whole book based on it. I don't read anywhere that Google actually used the code at all. The code just existed on some branch of a repository they hosted apart from their main codebase. If they had used the code and it was central to the product they shipped I think Google would be in big trouble because Oracle could show they were financially damaged. I just don't see the damage done in this...
Can you explain further please? The brief snip of the license I saw in the article stated not to redistribute the code. Can't you have the files containing the code on your system? My understanding is that most source code repositories just link to existing files or copy them to new locations and track changes. Most also aid in distribution of the code, but distribution isn't always necessary. If the license says I can use the code but not redistribute it how am I...
I think if the code existed in Google's repositories and people downloaded from there they are guilty of distributing some of Oracle's code in violation of their license. But what would the damages be? Don't you need to show that you were financially harmed to get a decent amount in damages? If the code wasn't widely distributed and wasn't actually used in the code that Google received money from how high could the damages really be?
I can put code in a repository and not distribute it to anyone else without violating a license can't I?