or Connect

Posts by jnjnjn

Excellent comment.   The porting problems of Adobe and Microsoft had to do with differences in APS's (or, to be precise, the conversion from Carbon to Cocoa); they effectively had to reimplement the applications. A transition from x86 code to ARM will be as simple as switching Xcode to ARM and waiting a few minutes, if Apple converts the full OS X API set to ARM (and they probably did that already).  Certainly, CPU power is important, but most CPU intensive tasks are...
  I didn't know that the PS3 had a GPU, thanks for the information. I didn't talk about the Xbox (but I did know that it had a separate GPU). The GFLOP number I was referring to was from Anadtech and specifies the PowerVR 554 GPU (it's 77GFLOPS) of the iPad4. Your right that the GFLOPS of the PS3 I mentioned was about the CPU (Cell processor), that's because I mistook it for a software GPU.   OpenGL runs on a CPU thread (although even this thread might run on the GPU),...
  Actually no, iOS can offload calculation intensive tasks to its GPU(s), its called OpenCL. So the iPad is in fact a much better device to be 'productive'.   By the way, did you notice that the iPad 4 is almost twice as fast as the N10 if you look at the GPU and only 25% 'slower' if you look at the CPU.   J.
  That, and we know it's all about GPU nowadays.   J.
  Maybe you confuse some things. I was talking about GPU performance but the PS3 has no GPU, at least not by 'definition'. The PS3 has 7 cores (cells) that act together as a GPU. You could say that it's a GPU formed by software and several cell cores. So to answer your question: the PowerVR 554 (GPU) of the iPad 4 has 77GFLOPS (single precision) and is 3 times as slow and 12 times as power efficient as the Cell processor cores (organized by software as a GPU) of the...
I was saying the exact same thing, even before the iPad3 was released.It should have had at least 4 times the GPU performance of the iPad2 because it had 4 times the pixels.If I remember correctly, the iPad 3 was in fact, only three times as fast, and relatively slower than the iPad2.The A6X corrects this.J.
Yes, it's directly related. See my previous comment (I added some lines to it).J.
Ok, to put this into perspective: iPad4 is 3 times as slow as the Playstation3. (77GFLOPS versus 230GFLOPS in single precision floating point operations). If we look at power use the difference is incredible: the iPad is 35 times as efficient (latest generation Playstation 3, 70Watt, versus 4 Watt for the iPad 4, of which half is used for the display). By the way, looking at some other posts: I do think that the numbers show the real difference, that's because the games...
Your right of course. I was already amazed by the gigaflops of my iPad3.I guess unfairness and dishonestly triggers me.But then again, it's a bit naive to expect fairness and honesty from a law system, especially one that old and based on ancient traditions. And this ruling is after all nothing more than one man's opinion.J.
Nice try of you and the English court to confuse the argument.The German court was talking about the exact same thing: Apples registered (community) design.Every one knows that Apples actual products are the implementation of this design, so your semantics have no base at all.Read this from arstechnica:The Galaxy Tab 7.7 had already been banned from sale in Germany thanks to a decision from a lower court in late 2011. At that time, the court treated Samsung Germany as a...