or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Absolute b.s.   When you think that members of a minority race have responsibility for the actions of each other, that's racism.  It's like thinking that if you're black, you must know every other black. If you attend a pro-guns rally and some guy who goes to the rally leaves the rally and kills someone, does the gun lobby take responsiblity? Back in the 60s and 70s, I attended many rallies for Civil Rights and against the war in Vietnam and there would almost always be...
I'm surprised it took so long for someone to make such an idiotic remark.  This has nothing to do with protestors in the Apple Store or anywhere else.    This guy was from out-of-state where he shot his girlfriend.   He committed suicide after killing the cops.   There's still a lot we don't know, but it's doubtful this has anything to do with protests or anything else.   This is simply one very sick guy. And even if this psychotic was enraged over the recent civilian...
Only furniture for the super-rich is made from rain forest wood.   Most furniture today is made from recycled materials with a laminate skin.   You can't even buy "lumber-core" plywood anymore, regardless of how much you're willing to pay.
With the current devaluation of the ruble and runaway inflation because of it, I suspect a lot of people are going to be looking to get out of Russia.   But maybe Russia, especially Moscow, will once again become a place where tourists can afford to visit.   
That's not my understanding.  My understanding is that the Saudi's do lose money if it drops much further, but that they can afford the losses for a time because they have very large reserves and they're willing to lose money in order to gain back market share.   Technically, if they sell below cost, it's illegal, although no nation is going to stop them.  I'm most definitely not an expert on any of this, but the Saudi strategy seems to be to gain market share by stopping...
When did you last experience NYC during Christmas - in the 1950s? I live here and what I see are a few nicely decorated windows and tons of slow walking tourists who block the streets.    And idiot kids from New Jersey who dress in dirty Santa costumes and spend an entire day bar-hopping with the sole purpose of getting completely drunk and usually vomiting in the streets.     And then I see (as almost everywhere in the U.S.) people obsessed with spending too much of their...
Except the Saudis are LOWERING the price of oil in an attempt to gain back market share and to make alternative energy sources seem more expensive in comparison. Maybe I lack understanding, but I really don't understand the drop in the markets over the last two weeks.   I can understand energy stocks dropping but just about everyone else benefits from lower energy prices.   Corporations' energy expenses drop, transportation/shipping costs drop and consumers are willing to...
Except the case shouldn't have even gone to the jury after it was discovered that the people suing were improper members of the Class and had actually purchased their iPods on dates outside the province of the lawsuit, making the entire thing bogus in the first place.   
What a surprise that you feel that way. I know I won't change your mind, but companies have contract workers to get out of paying them decent wages and benefits.   I worked for a large media company which also employed contract workers for the security force and for cleaning.    I then moved on to another gig.   After another company left the building, they got rid of most of the contracted security staff.     Some months later, I was shopping downtown and someone called...
 Being gay is not a crime in the South.   Some States do still have laws against sodomy, but they're not enforced.    And while we don't yet have a national law against firing gay employees and 29 States don't have laws explicitly banning the firing of gay employees because of their sexual orientation, according to Snopes: "While the twenty-nine states...may currently lack statewide laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, it is not true that all...