or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

(Again, I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I have designed software that details and clears rights, so I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.) I don't think anyone is getting paid yet for pre-1972 digital performance rights under state law as all the cases are in the process of being appealed.     And yes, if the claimants win, and the writer and performer are the same, they would receive both publishing and performing fees, but note that only some performers own...
If you're talking only about "hits" and hits as songs that made the charts, you're not talking about that many songs:   between 1955 and 1999 only 23,144 songs made the Billboard Pop charts, although that doesn't include album tracks that weren't singles and didn't make the charts, "turntable hits", or songs that made the R&B/Soul, Country or Jazz charts that didn't make the Pop charts.    If we prorate that for 1955-1972, it's probably under 8000 songs.  If you take those...
While it might be good for a few things, this seeming desire to manipulate virtual objects with finger motions in the air seems absurd. Try holding your arm up in the air for extended periods of time while moving your fingers - it's actually stressful. Furthermore, accuracy has to be quite poor. Windows laptops that also happen to have a touch screen tend to drive me nuts - if I'm pointing at something on the screen to make a point to someone else, the screen thinks...
These suits are ridiculous.  Streets and buildings?    How about the very first edition of "Castle Wolfenstein" in the early 1980s on an Apple ][?    Horizontal navigation?   I was responsible for publishing a dinosaur game that had horizontal navigation on an Apple ][ also in the early 1980s.   As far as I'm concerned, concepts such as rooms, streets, horizontal navigation and geometric views of objects are all "obvious" and shouldn't be patentable, although the methods...
Most of that is total b.s.   We hear the same tired, racist, false stories every year.   Did King cheat on this wife?  Sure.   But he was not Caligula.   http://www.snopes.com/history/american/mlking.asp
They do and I think that's quite awful.   The current movie Selma couldn't use any of King's actual speeches because the family apparently sold the rights to Steven Spielberg for another film.    I would have thought that anything spoken in a public forum by a public person in which press was present would have entered the public domain.   But regardless of what Apple does on their home page, I think this day does little to remember King properly.   What I did notice is...
That happened to me once as well, but I managed to pry it off.   A forum for shoplifting huh?   Guess we shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore.   But assuming that Americans participated in that site, it just proves that we're just as amoral as anyone else.   (The late Abbie Hoffman (of Chicago 10 fame) once wrote a book called "Steal This Book".    It was featured in the window of the bookstore "Shakespeare & Co.".    I saw a guy pass by the window, see the book,...
Just in China?   Believe me, there's plenty of theft of all kinds in the U.S. and elsewhere.  Why do you think practically every single product in a clothing or electronics store in the U.S. has security tags on it and frequently a security guard at the door as well?   Every single retailer builds "shrinkage" into the budget and only a small part of that is for damaged product - it's mostly about theft.  When I was a kid, there were no security tags and no one guarding the...
I still own the very first issue (and about ten other early key issues) of MacWorld.   The original large format size and thick cover material made it seem so "classy" and consistent with the Mac and Apple's image of something special and superior.    Looking back at it today, there actually wasn't all that much comprehensive content (just what Apple wanted us to know, even though the magazine was independent), but it seemed so exciting at the time.   Before the Mac,...
I agree that Apple has upstaged the tech industry for 15 years, but upstaged the tech industry at CES?   I don't think so - it's not like Apple has released something big just before or during CES that took attention away from the show.      How has Apple upstaged this year's CES (not that there was anything ground-breaking announced at the show)?    If Apple announced before the end of the month something like the Apple TV, that would probably upstage a lot of the CES...