or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

My Sony TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner, but I can't watch OTA transmissions over the cable coax.   My building has an antenna that plugs into the set and I can watch those transmissions, but I have to switch inputs via the remote control.    I don't get what OTA transmissions have to do with the cable coax.   
There are well over 100 million cable-TV subscribers in the U.S.   While Apple has been proven to completely disrupt industries, it's going to be quite difficult to break the relationship between the traditional cable networks and the MSOs, they are simply too co-dependent upon each other.    For Apple to be successful, they might have to do what Netflix is doing and start creating original programming that becomes "must see".   Because there's nothing else they can offer...
I don't get how it would work. If I transfer my phone service to the test drive phone mid-contract, I'm penalized and then there'd presumably be fees to switch back if I didn't want to keep the Samdroid phone. So is it that you test the phone without phone service and just test it using WiFi? So if I understand this correctly, it's not really a "test drive" - it's a switch. And I only get Google Play credits? Who cares? If they want to get rid of phones to build...
I always thought it was completely ridiculous that Amazon won that patent for one-click.   If anything should be obvious, it's storing a customer's shipping and billing address and then making use of the fact that you already know it.    Ideas are not supposed to be patentable - only the specific implementation and unique design characteristics of those ideas.   I'm not a patent attorney, but I fail to see how one-click would ever qualify.   It's just a link to perform an...
I agree.   It wouldn't make sense for Apple to have a big event just for the "s" version of the phones, which typically don't have much in the way of enhancements, certainly nothing "must have" or groundbreaking.    It would be like having an event to announce new cars in a model off-year, where nothing much changes except (for example), a slightly different bumper or headlight design.   The press would persecute them and the stock price would drop.     There has to be...
They don't have any of those things much of the time, but it's still not going to be heard by the Supreme Court.   The Supreme Court generally will only take on cases that have major constitutional ramifications.   This one doesn't.    
The revolving door refers more to people who leave Government and then go work for the corporations they regulated, implying that the job is a reward for giving business regulations (or not) that they liked. If you want the Government to hire people with experience and not just people who are friends with politicians or contributed to campaigns, where do you think these people are going to come from?   They're going to come from the corporate world and in most cases, they...
And what does a 1957 Fiat have to do with developing a new self-autonomous car?   I think someone's ego is off the charts.    I still find it hard to believe that Apple wants to be in this business (developing UI and electronics for other car companies, maybe).  It's capital intensive, extremely low margin and it will be decades before all states permit autonomous vehicles everywhere.   And in some states (such as New Jersey, although they apparently recently came to some...
Disagree.   In order to compete effectively, you differentiate, not copy.   Before the Apple Watch was released, there were some user-created mockups of a potential watch posted on this site that used a rectangular design that I thought was quite effective.   They were an evolution of the iPhone UI, rather than the completely different user-interface of the Apple Watch.   If Samsung wanted to compete, it would have made far more sense (IMO) to go in that direction.  ...
For the most part, unions are not good for people who can be individually recognized and who want to be promoted based on the quality of their work, not their tenure.   Unions are intended primarily for situations where there is too high a chance of subjective bias, where there are so many workers that no individuals can stand out, and in situations where the jobs are highly dangerous.   If you're good enough to negotiate on your own, you don't need (and don't want) a...