or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

At first I was going to write that I really didn't understand the iTunes complaints and that it's not a mess.   But then when I started thinking about the problems that did exist, I realized that it actually is a mess.   Still usable, but a mess.    Having said that, it almost doesn't matter because once you download a track from a store or upload it from a CD and place it in a playlist, you really don't have to think about it anymore or even go to iTunes if you only...
Really?   The web sites of major retailers, Apple, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Monoprice, Newegg and countless others are not the Wild West except perhaps in terms of credit card security breaches.   Yes, there are some corrupt operations on the web, but there are also some sleazy operators in the physical world, like the "going out of business" electronics stores in the tourist areas of Manhattan where they might charge you $200 for a battery or if you buy a DSLR, tell you...
Factory jobs are not necessarily skilled labor.    Is there a shortage of highly qualified engineers, chip designers and high-level programmers?  Sure.   Toolmakers?  Sure.    But factory workers who mainly do assembly.   That's not an issue. The reason why Apple chose a low-volume product to produce here is because this isn't about any great desire on Apple's part to produce products in the U.S.   It's about being politically correct (which is fine) and because they...
That's ridiculous.   The Chinese workers are each doing one small assembly task and they were trained to do it.   American workers, as unskilled as we are, could do the same.   The only reason iPhones will never be built in the U.S. is because of cost, although as conditions improve for Chinese workers and as more enter the middle class and demand more - and assuming that there's still going to be more workers than jobs in the U.S. for the foreseeable future - I wonder...
 While I do have to wonder whether Bale (or anyone) can convincingly play Jobs, I do feel that Bale does disappear into the characters he plays.   The characters he played in the Batman films, "The Prestige", "American Hustle" and "The Fighter" seemed like they were played by completely different actors.   I can think of only three film biographies where I didn't see the actor:  Ben Kingsley as Gandhi, Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman in "Man on the Moon" and perhaps Daniel...
What's especially ridiculous is that I bet the 6+ already fits perfectly well in that woman's inside jacket breast pocket.    
I don't know if this was an already planned or an ad-hoc meeting, but if the latter, I give Tim a lot of credit. It can't be easy, even for the CEO of one of the largest companies in the world, to go and confront a leader like Xi. The problem is that Cook is not in a position of power to negotiate anything. If he were to threaten that Apple will pull manufacturing out of China, Xi can say that China will then ban the devices and there is no way that Apple is going to...
Apples and oranges.   The 1984 ad did not show anyone actually using a Macintosh.  It was about mindset. The Visa ad pretended to show people actually using the payment system.     Wikipedia has nothing to do with it. 
Yes.  And whenever I'm skateboarding past an outdoor stand and want to pay without stopping (and apparently not need to actually either tell the clerk what it is I want to order or take what it is I'm purchasing), I'll be sure to you use Visa Pay instead.   I hear this is also a great way to pay when:- jumping off a diving board- using a trampoline- skydiving- riding in a high speed elevator- riding a train - needing to pay a merchant who is driving past me at 60mph. And I...
Much ado about nothing but in terms of my own use, I only want Spotlight to return my own files. As it is, I find Spotlight to be too broad. It should really prioritize results so that where the searched term appears in the filename, those results should be sorted first. If I want to search the web, I'll use the browser. I can't imagine any situation where I'd want to search both at the same time.