or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

At my local Rite-Aid, which is now part of Walgreens, it recognizes that the phone is there, but the transaction gets rejected.    As for the article claiming that a large percentage of terminals will still not accept NFC by the end of the year, I doubt that will be the case, because starting at the October deadline, the credit card companies are raising the fees substantially for any retailer who doesn't convert. The bigger issue (at least for me) is changing the...
I've frequently thought about not responding to any post dealing with politics, race, civil rights, etc., because one is never going to change anyone else's opinion.   In fact, arguing with someone frequently hardens their position. But on the other hand, I also feel that if we don't respond to such a post, we're leaving the impression that we endorse that position - or at the very least that we don't object to that position or the validity of holding such an opinion.  ...
No he didn't truly believe he was fighting a great evil.   He just found something to "appeal to the base" and put his face in front of everyone and he latched onto it.   And the proof of that is when he screamed, "I have the names!", and held up a piece of paper, it was blank.    Don't forget that it was the U.S. army who went after McCarthy in court, not the ACLU or another group like it.   
You're free to accept and believe anything you want and you're free to join any religion that believes the same things that you do, but that has absolutely nothing to do with civil law.   That's what separation of church and state is all about.   I can't impose my religious views on you and you can't impose yours on me.     The difference between us is that you think that my opposing views somehow restrict your ability to practice your religion but I don't think your...
How about divorce?  Does divorce make a mockery of marriage?  Because in the U.S., half of all marriages end in divorce and most of those divorces happen to Christian couples (and even Catholic couples), simply on the basis that Christianity is the dominant religion.   So there's a tremendous amount of hypocrisy right there.   You can't tell me that Christian and Catholic churches don't close their eyes to both the use of birth control and the number of divorced church...
While I don't support the position that the "free market" should decide this for themselves, lawful segregation was indeed in part ended by blacks taking their business elsewhere.   The Montgomery Bus Boycott (which also included not shopping in businesses, such as the local "5&10" which didn't permit blacks to eat at lunch counters), forced the city to end most segregation because of the economic impact. The main factor that ended apartheid in South Africa was U.S....
I think that entire new campus should be named after Jobs, not anything less.   IMO, anything less would seem insulting.  It shouldn't be named after Jobs because he wanted the new building or was involved in its design.   It should be named after Jobs because there would probably be no Apple today if Jobs hadn't returned to the company and guided it to its current success and because Jobs was probably the finest CEO of any American company of all time.        I think...
Basic civil rights is not "politics" even though politicians turn it into politics.   This isn't about whether a Democrat or a Republican has the best ideas, whether deficits are a good or bad thing or whether we should spend more taxpayer money on cops or education.   It's about basic civil rights and treating all people with respect.     If the Nazis came to power in the U.S. and started sending Jews to concentration camps, should Tim Cook ignore that, because it's...
No, it's about discrimination and it is an anti-gay law.   You cannot discriminate against people in a place of public accommodation.   The courts have found that unconstitutional.   That's why we no longer have segregation.   On the other hand, in certain circumstances, people do have the right to choose who they do business with.   If I have a retail store, I have to serve everyone, although I can have certain rules like "no shirt, no service".   If I do choose to deny...
Actually, it's worse than that.   He seems to think that if the Government fines a company that there's no way any of that money would ever find its way into providing government services - as if it disappeared into the pockets of Government administrators. My belief is that sites should only be permitted to track their own cookies and not the cookies of other sites.   And one should clearly be able to opt in and out of tracking at all. We all paid a dear price when we...