or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

My increased net worth means nothing unless I want to borrow against the equity.  Net worth is just a number on a piece of paper.   There are plenty of cash-poor people with high net worth, if they've owned their house for decades.  This is a big problem throughout the country, especially in places which have become "gentrified".     I could be living in a lousy neighborhood because it's all I can afford.   I own my home (or apartment).    Squeezed out of far richer...
I agree that we don't need a long article to answer a simple question.   I think the answer (which may be in part what you're saying by a "strong platform") is simply that iPad users are more likely to be willing to pay for Office on the iPad or even have a need for it in the first place.     It doesn't matter how much share a platform has if it doesn't include customers who will buy your product.    Apple always said that they thought the iPhone and iPad brought new users...
 Nope.   That would have happened long ago and the lawsuit would have been against the local government or community board.   While I'm sure there's a few disgruntled people who would prefer that either Apple wasn't there at all or that they weren't building a new campus, large swaths of the local population either work for Apple or benefit financially from Apple being there.    I'm sure there are some residents concerned about increased traffic on their streets, but it's...
Ideas are not supposed to be patentable, only the implementation of those ideas.    And we don't know what methods Apple is using.   It's the method that is entitled to the patent (or not, as the case may be). As far as the idea itself goes, I'm not sure it makes any practical sense and this may be a disguise for some other purpose.    Many people who walk and text have the phone almost parallel with the ground.     That's not going to help one see traffic or other people....
Looking at Apple's current "People" emoji, I think I counted 139 icons.   The vast majority are circles with the color of the sun, which IMO doesn't represent any human race.   I count only 35 that could be considered "human" (although cartoon representations) and it's true that those are all Caucasian, although not a particular national group (they don't look Asian, for example).      While I can see the argument that there should be brown-skinned versions of these...
Now that Apple has eliminated the ROM drive from the MacBook Pro line and the machines are so thin, I don't see the point of the MacBook Air, except as a potentially less expensive choice. And it can be less expensive by including a lower-level processor and/or keep it non-Retina. In all other respects it can be the same as the MBP unless they can come up with a totally new form factor for the MBA. I really don't see the point of a 13" MBA and a 13" MBP. The upper...
I hope this means that Office cal and contacts can now synch again with Apple Address Book and Calendar which then in turn will synch with the cloud. Before iCloud everything synched fine (except for problems with double-entries in the Calendar). After iCloud, I had to give up the Office Calendar because it would no longer sync. And I have to enter contacts in both Office Contacts and Apple Address Book. Pain in the arse and IMO, typical Apple arrogance. But if...
I just so happened to have watched that clip earlier today, but for a completely different reason. However, I was blown away by that particular use of the iPad. Obviously, there are other apps that enable one to loop vocals or audio tracks, such as Garage Band, but the ease of use of Loopy was very impressive. I wonder how much worse the audio would have been if they had simply used the iPad's microphone instead of the wireless mics and the Apogee. For background...
Great use of technology, but having said that, it's one thing if someone bought the cheap seats because they couldn't afford anything better at the time they bought. It's quite another if they couldn't get better seats because they were held back by the venue or because the re-sellers got all the good seats and then the venue tries to sell the upgrade at an even higher price. What I'm hoping is that venues see this as a chance to both give loyal customers a bargain and...
I don't think so.   I think we're going to see 50MP full-frame DSLRs within 24 months.   The only thing holding that back is that the DSLR market (actually the entire photography market) is in decline, so the major camera manufacturers are holding back on investment. Nikon released the 38MP D800 in 2012.   Most of the rest of the line is 24MP with the exception of the retro Df, which is 16MP as is the top-of-the-line just released D4s.   The Sony A7r mirrorless uses the...