or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I still own the very first issue (and about ten other early key issues) of MacWorld.   The original large format size and thick cover material made it seem so "classy" and consistent with the Mac and Apple's image of something special and superior.    Looking back at it today, there actually wasn't all that much comprehensive content (just what Apple wanted us to know, even though the magazine was independent), but it seemed so exciting at the time.   Before the Mac,...
I agree that Apple has upstaged the tech industry for 15 years, but upstaged the tech industry at CES?   I don't think so - it's not like Apple has released something big just before or during CES that took attention away from the show.      How has Apple upstaged this year's CES (not that there was anything ground-breaking announced at the show)?    If Apple announced before the end of the month something like the Apple TV, that would probably upstage a lot of the CES...
The original post was about bus drivers who serve Silicon Valley companies.   It wasn't about workers in general around the world.    Therefore, "this" properly referred to the U.S.   Most of the other stereotypes you posit are ridiculous, but I'm not going to get into details because it would absurd to respond.   It would be like me saying that everyone in Paris hates Americans, especially if they don't speak proper French.   I've been to France many times and I've never...
I completely disagree because when there are more people than jobs, wages decline if there are no controls.    The proof of that is that the working and middle class hasn't received a wage increase in real terms in over 30 years.   Just because there aren't enough jobs in this country for those without high-tech skills doesn't mean those workers don't deserve a living wage.   Competition for jobs and decent wages shouldn't be like a battle of the gladiators in a Roman...
I agree.  Apple is generally high priced compared to the competition and I expect their machines to last a long time and I would be absolutely pissed if it failed after 2 years.   And their computers always have lasted an incredibly long time for me.  I had a G4 tower that I kept for 9 years (!) and it was still working fine when I got rid of it - it was just too slow to process photography or play video.   I'm writing this on a late 2008 MacBook Pro, also still absolutely...
No, it's foolish to only fixate on U.S. sales, but the U.S. is still a large nation, the dollar is strong and the economy, although still not great for lower and some middle-income people without skills, is getting better every week (although from my observations on the NYC subway, being working class hasn't seemed to stop a lot of people from owning new phones).    Europe, Japan and Russia are in a rut and China's growth has slowed considerably, although it's still...
Yes, but Samsung is the biggest direct competitor on the biggest part of Apple's business.    So while I'll agree that that this site has "hatred" for Samsung, it's perfectly legit (IMO) for the site to highlight what and how Samsung is doing, although the glee in which they do it is quite silly, IMO.   And even with the declines, Samsung still earns in the range of $15b in profits a year, whereas companies like Sony and Panasonic haven't been profitable for years.    $15b...
I am working for Sahelanthropus tchadensis.
The difference is that during the height of music radio, radio (indirectly) sold music.   You heard a song that was being pushed by radio and it usually became a hit and sold a ton of copies.   People wanted to own the music they heard on the radio. Today's listeners no longer feel the need to own music.   There are many reasons for this, but I won't get into why here, because it doesn't matter for purposes of this discussion.   So they listen to the stream, but the stream...
Not for the price they paid for Beats, which came with a very high goodwill increment as well as the increment to get Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine.  Apple paid $3 billion for Beats.   It would have taken far less money for Apple to have developed their own quality headphone line or to buy one of the other competitors like Ultrasone, Bowers & Wilkins, Grado or possibly even Sennhesier (and there are others).   Some of those companies could probably have been acquired for under...