or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I'm surprised at all the criticism (actually, I'm not, but if this were Apple's product, I'm sure we'd be hearing praise). I think they've done a great job at coming up with an imaginative way of changing form factor and further integrating voice-commands into daily life by providing functionality that doesn't feel like you're using a computer or smartphone. Of course, the proof is in how it works in practical daily use and I suspect...
They used to say the opposite: that you don't make money from touring but you do it to support the record.Big acts who can fill stadiums can do quite well although touring costs can be in the multi-million $$. But most bands play 100 seat clubs and split $700 a show among the band, roadies, managers, etc. Even a lot of artists who were once quite big frequently now play 300 seat clubs where the band grosses $6000 a show before all costs. Throw in airfare, hotels, food,...
Radio? in the U.S.? AM FM radio pays zero to artists and labels. Only the writers get paid via payments to BMI, ASCAP and SESAC. . Digital and satellite radio pays artists via Sound Exchange. But it's all pretty meager.
It depends on the album.  During the height of the 'concept album' era, pop singles largely became the province of 12-year-old girls.   "Real" record collectors bought albums.   Most jazz albums and most of Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Springsteen, Beatles, Stones, post-Motown Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, the better Beach Boys and tons of others work far better as albums than single tracks.    (It was a little different for classic soul and R&B -- singles still...
That's great that they finally depleted the stock of these old units (if indeed that's the case).   Now they should reduce the price of the Mini 2 by $50 so that the 16GB model is $249 (as the Mini was) and the 32GB is $299 and maybe reduce the upcharge to $100 instead of $130 for the two cellular models, to get rid of those as well.     One could argue that they shouldn't be selling the 16GB models at all - that's simply not enough memory/storage to run these devices...
Because the list is only about protecting your data from Government eyes, not from a company's own use of your data.    
The question isn't whether Siri data goes to the Apple server and is stored, it's whether that data can be personally tied back to any particular person and whether the government has access to such data.     It doesn't matter one iota if Apple stores that someone asked where the closest hardware store is and it doesn't matter if they also store the response of "121 Main Street".   What matters is if the Government can know that one personally asked where the closest...
I don't think I ever wrote that employees have a "right" to not have their bags inspected, but even if I did, there's a difference between a generic "right" and a legal or constitutional "Right".     Yes, based on the Supreme Court decision, the final decision is up to Apple, but that doesn't mean that people can't criticize what Apple decides.   One can't tell Apple what to do, but one can praise or criticize Apple based on what they do.   If one could only criticize...
Not that I'm trying to defend Monster, who has been ripping off idiots for years with their absurd claims about cables (not that they're the only ones), but Apple has engaged in business with other companies with whom they've had lawsuits, Samsung being the biggest example.      They could have taken the high road and not banned Monster from their program.    
By that logic, Apple could and should pay minimum wage, but they pay somewhat higher than minimum wage.   Sometimes the best path for a company is to do things right.    Furthermore, Apple consistently does things in the retail environments where they spend more money than they have to.   There is no financial argument one could make to rationalize the glass staircases, glass cube entrances, etc.   You can't tell me that more people buy Apple products because of those...