or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I just so happened to have watched that clip earlier today, but for a completely different reason. However, I was blown away by that particular use of the iPad. Obviously, there are other apps that enable one to loop vocals or audio tracks, such as Garage Band, but the ease of use of Loopy was very impressive. I wonder how much worse the audio would have been if they had simply used the iPad's microphone instead of the wireless mics and the Apogee. For background...
Great use of technology, but having said that, it's one thing if someone bought the cheap seats because they couldn't afford anything better at the time they bought. It's quite another if they couldn't get better seats because they were held back by the venue or because the re-sellers got all the good seats and then the venue tries to sell the upgrade at an even higher price. What I'm hoping is that venues see this as a chance to both give loyal customers a bargain and...
I don't think so.   I think we're going to see 50MP full-frame DSLRs within 24 months.   The only thing holding that back is that the DSLR market (actually the entire photography market) is in decline, so the major camera manufacturers are holding back on investment. Nikon released the 38MP D800 in 2012.   Most of the rest of the line is 24MP with the exception of the retro Df, which is 16MP as is the top-of-the-line just released D4s.   The Sony A7r mirrorless uses the...
The problem is the number of photosites in the sensor.   When they are densely packed, which they are in all small sensor phones (and point-and-shoots), they generate heat.   Heat makes for noise.    All other things being equal, a 16MP sensor will have far better high-ISO (low light) performance than a 32MB sensor.     So if you increase the MP count without increasing the size of the sensor, you decrease quality.     A Nikon D1 camera from 1999 with 2.74 effective MP...
 Yes, but how does one evaluate who is best for the job?   Many employers, HR people and supervisors hire people not only on the basis of a resume and experience, but who they feel "comfortable" with - who they can relate to, even if they do that on a subconscious level.    And even though they might not think of themselves as the least bit racist, sexist or ageist, who they feel most comfortable with might be someone just like themselves.    And so the discrimination...
 While that can be imagined technically, it's not happening for several reasons:1.  The net infrastructure in the U.S. isn't robust enough.    Even with my supposed high-speed connection today, when I watch net-based services on my TV, they frequently "stutter" and that's with 1080 content.   With 4K it needs almost 4x the bandwidth. 2.  Apple doesn't control or own the content and unlike the music industry, they're unlikely to get it.    Why?   Because the content owners...
HDMI between the box and the TV.Ethernet or WiFi between the network and the box. Why would it be anything else?
 While I don't disagree with the need for power users, that is NEVER going to happen in iOS.    iOS is all about hiding file systems and the like from users.    
 But if you look at who/what dominates the TV industry, it's low-end sets.   Samsung, with it's relatively low prices in much of its line, has effectively killed both Sony and Panasonic.   Sony's current approach is at the high-end and they're pushing expensive 4K sets, but it remains to be seen whether that's going to be even remotely successful and Sony has threatened to get out of the TV business entirely.   Panasonic is no longer making plasma sets.     Now having said...
No..apps aren't good enough for TV.   The problem with apps, is that there's no unified list of all programming available.   It's a pain to switch from Netflix to  Hulu to Amazon to AppleTV offerings to an actual cable or OTA channel. It all needs to be integrated and I think Steve Jobs recognized that when he supposedly made the comment that he had licked the UI problem.