or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I work for a technology company that implements enterprise solutions and we frequently have to integrate FileMaker databases.   The biggest problem we see is that so many of these FileMaker databases were written by  amateurs who had no idea how to design a database and they're a total mess (not technically, but intellectually).    FileMaker is easy to use, but it doesn't force one to use standard database design principles.     I usually refer to these...
Not defending this guy, but how much did it cost taxpayers for the police to launch a helicopter and bring the canine unit? Why couldn't they just wait for the guy to come out the gate? Would the police have sent a helicopter if this wasn't Apple property?
I doubt very much that this project is cheaper than paying rent for "normal" retail space.     And it's also not very environmental, because either the barge or whatever is towing it is going to have to burn oil to create electricity.   It's one thing to have to put up studs, plasterboard, flooring and fixtures in existing space and quite another to have to create a retail environment from scratch on a barge.   But "whatever floats their boat".   
  While I think Apple has reason for complaint, you sound like a spoiled kid with no understanding of how business or law is conducted.   This isn't a dictatorship - Obama can't intervene in a court decision.    Whether the judge was right or wrong and whether the Government was right or wrong is not relevant at this point - the court has ruled.     Apple is not going to stop making sales in the U.S. and they're not going to cause the OS' not to work (at least not on...
I'm not sure that's correct.   Looking at the burns on the iPhone, it seems to me that while the third-party charger was the source of the problem, the metal on the iPhone becoming live probably caused the electrocution.    Maybe Apple should start including a fuse into the power jack so it will blow before high current is passed.    And even with a third-party defective charger, how did the case become live?   Does one of the power pins on the Lightning connector attach...
I don't think it was a case of someone entering a value, but not saving it yet because Excel recalculates on the fly.     I think that someone at the advertising agency didn't know how to use Excel, so instead of summing the column by formula, they simply did a quick calculation in their heads and manually entered the sum, thinking no one would notice.   And no one would have had they gotten the sum correct.  It's relevance is not that there's a bug in Excel (because if...
You don't have to wait.   Even high-school students have hearing loss in ever increasing numbers.    And such losses are not usually about level as much as they are about frequency response and threshold.   You lose high-end frequencies first.    A young child can hear to 20KHz, sometimes to 22KHz.   Most young adults can only hear to maybe 18KHz.    I'm in my early 60s and I'm an ex-recording engineer.   I've always been very careful, but I'm not hearing anything over...
You're ignoring a number of factors:- Although still far less expensive than the U.S., wages in the third world are increasing rapidly.- Since Apple and companies like it don't hire those workers directly and go through third-party manufacturers, it's not just a matter of labor cost because those companies must make profits as well.   - With high fuel costs, shipping those products to the U.S. is expensive, especially when they're last minute shipments by air.- This new...
There's only one way that the stores "lose" money:   in the case where someone's got money to burn in their pocket, intends to buy an Apple product from an Apple store with that money, the store is closed and instead, they either:a) go and buy that same Apple product from another retailer.   Apple gets a bit less money than they would have, but still wins.  -or-b) they go by something else instead completely unrelated to Apple and never go back to make that Apple...
And where do the profits from "American" companies go?   Mostly to stockholders and senior executives.     The fact is that whether it's the construction of the factory or employing American workers, all of that money (except for profits) finds its way back into the American economy.   In fact, a dollar paid to a middle-class or lower income worker goes right into the economy, because they spend it (usually almost immediately) whereas a senior exec with lots of money...