or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Many sites won't work with cookies turned off.  I do wipe them regularly though, although that also wipes out settings on sites.   And they were not invented so other sites could view your history.    They were invented so that a site would know whether or not you had previously visited and what the state was of that last visit.   
How does this help?  Panasonic's plasma sets are also connected sets.    And Panasonic will no longer be manufacturing them after the end of this year.   There will be no successors to the current model plasma sets, such as the VT60, ZT60, etc.       
You lose software updates and the ability to listen to Pandora, watch Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and other such services on your TV, although you can use external devices to accomplish the same thing, but that raises the same issues.    We need a law that stops hardware manufacturers from collecting any data whatsoever without explicit permission.   But there's much bigger issues than the sets reporting back to the manufacturer what you're watching.   The first, is that some...
It's worse than that.   If it were just advertising, maybe that wouldn't be so bad, although I find it extremely annoying and disconcerting when I see customized ads on sites in which Google (or whoever) is using cookies from other sites to determine where I've been.   Personally, I think it should be illegal for any site to look at cookies that they didn't write.      I don't mind when my buying patterns are combined with everyone else's to establish useful data for...
It's called "an opinion".   Perhaps you've heard of these.   There's many on these Boards, almost in every single post. 
 Every company puts money into the local economy.  Does that mean that no companies should pay real-estate taxes?    And if that's a server farm that Apple is building there, they may be employing fewer than 10 employees.   So it might not be a windfall.      I happen to be an Apple shareholder, but I still want them to act ethically.    I happen to disagree with the notion that every action by a corporation should be the goal of generating more profit.  I used to think...
Good business for Apple?  Yes.    Legal?  Yes.    Ethical?  No.   It's real estate taxes that pay for schools in most communities.   By substantially reducing what they pay, Apple hurts the future education of the kids in that community.   Apple isn't a startup - they make plenty of profit.   There's no reason why Apple can't pay its full share of local taxes.    The fact that other locales were willing to offer similar tax benefits is besides the point.     Furthermore,...
The problem in capitalist societies is that we only look at money.   Wall Street has brainwashed us to do that and we've come to accept it as normal - that the only true measure of success is money.  Even the NY Times publishes lists every week of the top 10 this or that.    While occasionally, art and commerce collide, in most cases quite the opposite is true:   if it gets great market acceptance, it's probably a piece of crap.    Justin Beaver sells a lot of records.  ...
 Obviously, I wouldn't expect Wall Street or any business analyst to ignore any part of the market.   But what is absurd is to claim that Apple is failing for not bothering to address a part of the market that consumes many units, but doesn't make much in the way of profit.  And if Apple did do that, Wall Street would probably complain that they're losing focus.    It's the difference between a fine restaurant and McDonald's.   Which business does one want to be in?  ...
I don't know why you'd even quote Dvorak. Although I haven't read him in a number of years, he is incredibly wrong far more often than he he's right and he was almost always wrong about Apple. You could do a comedy routine with quotes from Dvorak about Apple. Here are just two, but I'm sure with a bit of research, one could easily find 100: March 28, 2007: "Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone" Commentary: Company risks its reputation in competitive...