or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

That's what I've been wondering - whether Apple would drop Intel for its own chips, not just in the lower-end Macs, but in all Macs.  If they can achieve both the performance and software compatibility, there's really no reason not to.    Wouldn't want to be the owner of Intel stock if that ever happens (wait a minute...my mutual funds do hold Intel stock), although from a unit standpoint, Macs are a relatively small part of Apple's game these days. Among the many...
There is absolutely nothing in the net neutrality proposals that affects how much an ISP can charge its customers.    If you don't have net neutrality, every web site in existence is going to be held hostage by the ISPs.   I can see it now:  getting an email from each of the major ISPs telling me if I want my web sites to be in the "fast lane", I have to pay so much per year, otherwise the sites from the big companies will have priority.     The web was created out of...
 Of course they're incapable.   How do you know whether raw chicken has been left out unrefrigerated or whether someone used a knife on raw poultry and then used that same knife to cut your sandwich resulting in salmonella poisoning?    How would you know whether the refrigerator where the meat is stored is at the right temperature or whether the frozen food has freezer burn or whether the kitchen is infested with mice or not?  Or whether grease from the range hood isn't...
It is exactly what we need.    Would you rather AT&T or Verizon control your service based upon how much money other conglomerates are willing to pay them?
People will do it anyway, just as there are tons of perverts who attempt to take photos of people in public restrooms.    But that's not necessarily the primary reason for regulation.    In an age of paranoia, people will be afraid that these things will be carrying small bombs.   And in spite of the heavy use of street cameras in most urban areas now, these will be so obvious that people will get angry about what they perceive to be a new invasion of privacy, even if they...
It irritates me no end to see you think that everyone needs to buy a new phone every year.   While good for Apple's revenues, it's wasteful, bad for the environment and otherwise ridiculous.    Apple knows what the basic technical strategy for new OS' are going to be at least a year in advance (if not longer).   They shouldn't be selling phones that don't have enough memory to support the next OS, especially because the memory is not user upgradable.    The current models...
The code names. keeping new equipment in a locked room and limiting access is nothing new - Apple's been doing it for decades.   I was leading software development at a company back in the early Apple ][ days and we had to to sign the same type of agreements with Apple.   What they didn't have back then were huge fines or audit charges if you violated the agreement.   Somehow I don't think the corporate lawyers would have been willing to let us sign that.
This is not a mass-market appeal blockbuster movie.   This movie, no matter how good it is, is not going to gross a lot of revenue.   His fee for this movie will be relatively small.    Nothing wrong with that, in fact it deserves respect. Some A-list actors won't make a small film because they feel it sets a precedence that will lower their fee for the next film.   
And sometimes focusing only on the company causes one to make serious critical business errors.   If you don't have a real life and interact with real people, you don't know how real people live or what their needs are.    I'd rather have someone designing my products who may not be an obsessive-compulsive and knows what it's like to have a family and friends who they spend time with and someone who has an active cultural life.   If you spend all your time with geeks, then...
Exactly.  I'm so glad I haven't updated.   I'll wait for a .1 or .2 update.    I simply don't need the grief.   Over all the decades, the only major bug I ever experienced after a major OS upgrade caused every Apple application not to work properly.   After two weeks of diagnosis both with and without Apple's help, I discovered it was a font that worked perfectly fine in the previous OS, but the new OS didn't like it and killed every Apple app even if that font was never...