or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Yes, Apple already provides the functionality.   But there are a lot of people who don't use Apple's phones.   The legislators pushing the bill want this for everyone.   So, make a more valid observation as your argument is baseless.    While I disagree with the way he phrased his last comment, let me say what I think is true:  Republicans will be opposed to this legislation not because they could care less about the loss of anything by others, but because they think big...
 John Stewart highlighted that video and reacted with disgust.    But again, this is what happens when we live in a society in which quality means little.   Ratings mean much because they drive dollars.   And we judge success only by dollars.   No one objects when the news channels pull crap like the above.    But a lot of people object when CPB or NPR, which at least attempts to do better,  gets a few cents per person in taxpayer money.    Back in the days of the big...
I think it's pretty obvious if we look around us.   What kind of topics dominate the conversation?   What do the news outlets care about?   Which public figures are considered to be worthy and which are criticized? Most of the conversation is about badly behaving actors or musicians, celebrities of the moment and athletes.    The news rarely goes beyond the headline.    If you're a Bieber or Khardashian, you go to the top of the news pile.    People spend countless hours...
One of the problems is that many public schools, because of the demands of "testing", don't teach history in most elementary school grades anymore.   I found this out recently and was totally shocked by it.    My daughter lives in upstate New York.  She home schools my granddaughter because the public schools and even the local private schools are so incredibly awful.   In the fifth grade, the public school kids take only four subjects:  Math, "Literacy", Health and Phys...
While the actions of the NSA are extremely troubling and IMO a total violation of our constitutional rights, there's absolutely nothing in the legislation giving anyone but the consumer the ability to kill their stolen phone.   Apple already has the feature so it doesn't matter whether it becomes an actual law or not as far as Apple users are concerned.    Most legislators are so naive about the real world, my bet is that half the sponsors probably don't even realize that...
While it's true that all of these TV bits edit out the smart people and only show the dumb ones, because people who actually know the answers aren't very funny, it's also true that Americans are notoriously ill-informed about things that matter.    That's not to say that there aren't plenty of idiots in every country in the world, but we're supposed to be the "most powerful nation on earth".    I've posted this before, but: In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to...
Actually, I doubt very much whether Apple had a deal with Time-Warner or any other MSO.    The reason why is that the cable networks grant very limited web rights to the MSOs and the rights they do grant have to be used directly by them, for instance by offering VOD.   They have almost no rights to grant access to another company who then resells the content again.   The only content that could have been part of a Time-Warner deal was Time-Warner content, like HBO shows...
IMO, that should only be reserved going forward for new platforms or totally new product lines, except perhaps in the case of a current product that makes a giant technological leap forward or a totally new form factor, but it would have to be a really big leap.   A case redesign won't cut it.   No one cares about more memory or cheaper storage or a faster processor anymore.    That's why after almost every Apple announcement, the stock price falls.  If the next iPhones...
Great post, but I think there are two important issues:- Employment rates around the world are poor enough and a robotics work force would decrease it even more.   While I don't want to sound like a luddite, if everyone is unemployed, who is left to buy the products these companies produce, especially when the companies are not only producing luxury products for the upper classes, but where the markets expect them to produce products for the masses? Also, wages in China...
If by "new products", you mean "new models", that would be incorrect. They introduced the MacPro 13" Retina on 2/13/13 along with two 15" models.   And they introduced the MacBook Air (Haswell) on June 10th.  There was also an iMac that wasn't sold through the Apple website that was introduced in March, 2013:  Model ME699LL/A ($1099) In addition, the IPad Retina with 128GB of memory was not released with the other iPads in October of 2012 - it was released on 2/5/13....