or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I have a hard time believing that macho American drivers (of either male or female gender) would accept self-driving vehicles.   They simply drive too aggressively most of the time to give control over to the car, since I assume the car will follow traffic laws, not drive above the speed limit and not arbitrarily switch lanes.    Many American men won't even let their wives or girlfriends drive when they're in the car.    If drivers didn't have this need to feel...
I wasn't referring to the engineering of the car - I was referring to body design and finish.   Unless something changed radically, I would never buy an American car.   Back in the early 1970s, I owned what was probably the worst American car ever made (with the possible exception of the Ford Pinto, which tended to explode when hit), the AMC Gremlin.  With the exception of the HVAC and maybe the brakes, everything that could possibly go wrong in a car went wrong in that...
It's not even a matter of a "professional drone pilot" - at least right now, the FAA is requiring a licensed pilot to operate the drone, which I think is overkill, but whatever...   So let's say each delivery takes only 15 minutes.   That means a pilot can deliver 28 packages in a 7-hour work day (assumes an hour off for lunch).   Let's say that pilot works 235 days a year.    If the pilot is making something close to minimum wage, it's actually doable, but if the pilot...
I can assure you that most U.S. high school students have absolutely no idea what the Battle of Hastings is or when it took place.  I'd be very surprised if even 10% knew this.    Most can't even tell you the decade of the Civil War or who we fought in WW II.    I think a fairly large percentage couldn't tell you the founding date of the U.S. or exactly what it is we celebrate on Independence Day.    And forget about the 1040, my bet is that half of U.S. high school...
One of my cards is a chip card and it doesn't seem to work any differently than before it had the chip, but maybe that's because the stores I shop in don't have new terminals as yet.   Besides, I don't see how "Open wallet, put card in reader, stand with your wallet open until checkout finishes, stare at terminal during authorization, approve amount and sign, stare at terminal until it says finished, take card out, put back in wallet" is any different from"Take phone out...
There's another issue.  I'm able to use ApplePay at my local chain supermarket, but the terminal still makes you approve the amount and sign.  And since the terminal doesn't always recognize the NFC right away, it's actually not any more efficient to use ApplePay than to swipe a card - it just presumably gives you a bit more security. I was also in a pharmacy recently and the cashier didn't know whether ApplePay was supported although it was obvious to me that the terminal...
I think Apple has got to be careful - people tend to think that wherever they are represents "normalcy" and Apple's execs are certainly not "normal" -- they're quite rich beyond the dreams of 99% (or more) of consumers. So if they produce products for themselves, those might be products that the majority of consumers either don't relate to or can't afford (unless Apple's objective is to create the equivalent of their highest-end Watch in a car - something only for the...
@Slurpy: Agreed.   I don't work at Apple and have never had any contact with Cook, so I can't comment on how he actually behaves day-to-day, but from the outside looking in, just as Jobs was probably the greatest American CEO of all time in spite of his faults, Cook is probably the most centered and balanced CEO out there today.   I think he feels so secure in his own intelligence and abilities that he doesn't engage in the kind of megalomania that so many other CEOs dwell...
Maybe.  Any surgery has risk and major surgery has major risks.   And when livers fail, they fail pretty fast so having part of your liver removed puts the remainder of your liver under big-time stress that can cause permanent damage, even though it can regenerate.   Because of some drugs that I take, I have to have my liver checked every four months or so.   The reason why it has to be checked so often is because of the speed at which the liver can fail. So don't...
There was some talk about this at the time it was revealed that he was that sick.   But how did that hurt shareholders?   Assuming an investor who didn't know Jobs was that ill, the stock would have been over-priced.   But it's not like it crashed after Jobs passed away - aside from dips here and there, the stock has been on an almost constant upwards trajectory since that time and even today, with the market and Apple stock down a bit, it's still at the pre-split...