or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Fair enough, but if I was an employee who felt ripped-off by the practice and I joined the class-action lawsuit and I wound up with a check for $18 and the lawyers got $millions, I'd be pretty pissed.    But I still think this lawsuit will get thrown out, based on prior court rulings.   While I disagree with the practice as I've noted in previous posts, there are for more egregious practices out there (not at Apple):  employees not getting paid overtime wages, employers...
While I agree that Apple should pay the employees for their time going through the bag search, the employees will probably once again lose in court - didn't some higher court already rule on this?   And as others have posted, even when such lawsuits are successful, the employees get next to nothing and the lawyers get to keep all the money.   I gets tons of legal notices over stock lawsuits and if you get anything, it usually winds up being something like 6 cents a share -...
They should provide a way to combine Apple ID accounts.    
No it's not.   For a very long time after the Mac was released, most of Apple's revenue was still coming from the Apple II.  That's when Apple came out with the "Apple II forever" marketing campaign.    The iPod is not driving Apple's profits - quite the opposite.   That's not to say that I think they should stop making it.   It still makes sense for those people who want a high capacity music player that's not a phone, although as more and more people move to streaming...
   Even when companies own their own buildings/land, they tend to either sell them to a third party and lease them back or form their own real-estate company and lease it back from that company.     Due to accounting and tax issues, it seems to make more economic sense.   And unless the economy takes a big nosedive in localities where these firms exist, it's unlikely that real-estate prices are going down anytime soon.    What's the percentage of empty Class-A office space...
Not only that, but I think your numbers reflect the cumulative debt.   The annual debt ratio to GDP is (obviously) far lower and very manageable.  The 2016 budget is expected to come in with a deficit of 2.5% of GDP and the 2017 budget (last Obama budget) is expected to come in at 2.3% of GDP.   The highest since 1980 was the last Bush budget (2009), which came in at 9.8% of GDP.    The only years since 1980 in which there was a surplus were the four final years under...
 I really don't understand this.   What was the point of releasing a new Mac version if I can't keep the cal and address book in sync?   Why do we keep taking steps backwards?    I don't know whether to blame Apple or Microsoft, but I really don't see why Sync Services can't still work to keep Apple's address book and calendar in sync with Microsoft and then use iCloud to keep the address book and cal in sync with phone, etc. As far as I can tell if you use Sync Services,...
There's nothing wrong with the Disneyfication of 42nd street.   They did a brilliant job restoring the New Amsterdam theatre.   What's bad is the mallification of 42nd street - bringing in national chain restaurants and retail.   I fail to understand how this attracts tourists when tourists can find exactly the same places in their home town malls.     Traditionally, most of the big chains avoided NYC.   The Gap was one of the first big chains to target NYC and after they...
I don't know what that has to do with my post, since I didn't say anything about any part of NYC being "filthy" (downscale doesn't mean dirty), but it depends upon what you're comparing it to.    If you're comparing it to a small town in Maine or the streets of central Paris or Munich, yes, it's filthy.   If you're comparing it to NYC in the 1970s or 80s, no, it's actually quite clean (and by clean, I mean "litter free", not the quality of the air) except in the few...
I live a few neighborhoods away, but I'm really surprised that Apple is opening a store here.   While before the mall's expansion some years ago, it had the highest per-foot sales of any mall in the U.S. and it does get tremendous foot traffic compared to many suburban malls, it's a relatively downscale mall that attracts lower- and middle-class shoppers.       While it has a parking garage, the majority of shoppers come there by public transportation, although it's only a...