or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

No, there's no such ban.   The law never went into effect.   It was rejected by the NY State Court of Appeals.    The City Council would have to approve such a ban and they won't, and this proposed law is not a priority of the new mayor. 
Yes, there are very high cigarette taxes in NYC.  That's an attempt to make it too expensive to smoke.   I hope they make it even higher.   You know when some low-income smoker with no or poor health insurance shows up in a hospital with emphysema or lung cancer, it's taxpayers who bear that cost.   Cigarettes are a dangerous, purposely addictive drug that has no good side.   Since the high taxes have been put into effect, the combination of that and educating the public...
But ALL people aren't violating the law.   Are you saying that not one single car on the California highway in question is going below the speed limit.   Not a single car?   Ever?     Just because every driver wants to drive faster doesn't mean the law is invalid.    Such laws aren't based on desires - they're based on safety or in the case in the 1970s when many locales reduced the speed limit from 65 to 55, to both reduce fatalities and reduce fuel consumption. On the...
 That's the most absurd logic I've ever heard.    What would be correct is "if all drivers are violating the law and the level of traffic accidents and deaths is no higher than it was when drivers were obeying the law, then something is wrong with the law." Would you say the same thing if everyone in a community became a thief?   That in that case, there shouldn't be a law against robbery?   Or if the vast majority of men became rapists then there shouldn't be a law...
No. He died from choking.   The NYC coroner's office ruled it a homicide resulting from the chokehold and compression of the chest and it's illegal for NYC police officers to apply the chokehold in the first place.   So what's happened?   A guy illegally selling a cigarette is killed by a cop who broke the law and we're blaming the victim.    He was violating a minor law.    There's two ways to deal with such violations.   Under Giuliani, fare beaters, squeege men and...
$161,000 per seat for the auditorium?   That does seem excessive.   On the other hand, at 120,000 square feet, that's $1341 per square foot, which if a NYC fancy apartment building, sound about right.   I don't think they are.  My understanding is that they're keeping the old campus.   What will be eliminated are all the ancillary leases they have in odd buildings throughout the area.   
There are plenty of politicians who are far younger and are completely out of touch with modern America.   And I don't know what "he's been in the Senate way too long" means.   The fact is that if voters in his state of any political persuasion showed up to vote and they wanted him out, he'd be out.   It's one thing when you talk about gerrymandered districts in the House, where it's almost impossible to throw out the incumbent, but it's quite another when dealing with the...
School boards, frequently driven by parents, buy such devices because they think it provides students with "computer literacy". It does nothing of the sort. Before you buy computers or pads for students, you first have to decide what the objective is. And I don't think most systems ever do that. Is it to use drill and practice programs? Is it so students can research Google? Is it to provide communications between student and teacher? Is it to write papers or...
I'm not a conservative and therefore I have no love for Orrin Hatch, but if you're going to criticize the guy, criticize him for his positions, his voting record or what he doesn't understand, not his age.   Bob Kahn is only five years younger than Hatch. 
 Stock Market valuations may not be based on much reality and the day-to-day changes in stock price of a given company makes no sense whatsoever, but investments sustain far more than the 1%.  A very large percentage of both privately and publicly employed people have either pensions or 401Ks that are invested in the market.   And that's aside from the millions who invest on their own. I'm nowhere near the 1%, but I'm 2/3 invested and I've done extraordinarily well the...