or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Incredibly high or incredibly low?  I live in NYC in a 2-bedroom apartment and my electricity bill averaged $74.93 per month in 2014.   Anyone living in a home and/or using electric heat or range would have a much higher bill.   I know people spending several hundred $ per month on electricity.  
If they're coming out with a new 12", isn't that going to be replace the so-called 11", which is actually 11.6"? Why would they need both? And if it's going to be a 12", I personally don't feel they need the 13" - there's just not that much difference. Anyone who wants smaller than 12" is probably using an iPad and anyone who wants something bigger is probably using a MacBook Pro. The current 13.3" does have higher resolution than the 11.6, 1440x900 vs. 1368x768, but...
I certainly don't understand all the machinations of investing (even though I'm heavily invested), but I don't get it either even if some European interest rates are negative.   If I'm a European investor, why wouldn't I invest in a variety of stocks or stock funds to get a much higher return, even if riskier?   While I do own some bonds and preferreds, they generally pay at least 4%, frequently much more.   While I own some individual stocks, like Apple, most of my money...
People didn't move up to medium format, they moved down from it.   My father was a pro photographer.  In the studio, everything was 8x10, 5x7 or 4x5.   When they shot banquets and large groups, they would frequently use Cirkuit panoramic cameras in which the negative was 6 to 12 inches high and several feet long and then those would be contact printed (talk about great resolution!)   Most commercial work and weddings were shot either 4x5 or 120/220 format (usually twin...
 I didn't miss that point at all, that's what "more megapixels can actually do harm because they heat up and cause noise, especially at high ISOs..." means, although I should have been clearer and said that "photosites heat up", not "they".
I think that's true although I still like having the option of shooting video on my DSLR without having to carry yet another piece of equipment.   I thought I would never use the video on my DSLR, but I find myself using it more and more.     It's amazing how it's so easy to hold an iPhone and get smooth video, but stick a big lens on a DSLR and even using special straps and the like, I'm frequently shooting shaky-cam, especially for long shots like recording a song in a...
25% of U.S. GDP is devoted to health care.   Millions of parents send their kids to private schools because the public schools suck.   We also have to pay for day care.     The question isn't how much taxes anyone pays  - it's how well one is able to live (and by how well, I don't just mean affording material goods, but how much time one can spend on pursuits other than work and the quality of one's daily life, including the cultural environment). While Europe certainly...
Yes, very high resolution, but not all that great at dynamic range. According to Thom Hogan: (http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-downside-to-more-pixels.html)
While it's true that megapixels is not the only indicator of quality and that in small sensors, more megapixels can actually do harm because they heat up and cause noise, especially at high ISOs, to claim as Gruber apparently did, that a cell phone camera can offer DSLR quality when it has such a small sensor and a tiny lens is completely absurd. All it demonstrates is that Gruber knows nothing about the physics of digital photography. Having said that, there is plenty...
Can't compare the U.S. to the Netherlands.   The Netherlands is so much more advanced in many respects when it comes to the environment and social living.  Aside from Amsterdam itself, I was in Zeeland some years ago and was amazed at the fantastic protected bicycle paths everywhere and the beautiful local town.   In fact, whenever I'm in Europe, in spite of its many problems, I can completely understand why so many Europeans think Americans are completely nuts.