or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

It used to be that artists didn't make money from tours - they toured to support the recording for which they did make (some) money, although the fact remains that the majority of artists never earned out their royalty advances and so never saw another penny.  In fact, when Atlantic held their 40th anniversary concerts at Madison Square Garden in 1988, chairman Ahmet Ertegun decided to set the royalties of any artist who had negative royalties back to zero, so that the...
Artists get screwed in almost any model, except the ones in which they own their own record company and are making the deal and also own their own publishing.  Having said that, remember that in traditional analog broadcast radio in the U.S., radio stations do not pay for the performance right as they do in other countries - they only pay fees to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC and those fees go to the writers (actually to the publishers, who then distribute to the writers). In...
Do you mind if they survive with an actual revenue stream?
Regardless of some of the parts that consumers may actually use (Huffington Post, etc.), AOL's reputation is a joke and no matter how it changes (even if it simply becomes a video delivery and advertising platform), it's still going to have the reputation of a once-great service that is now used by great-grandmothers who don't want to pay for high-speed internet or who live in the sticks where it's not available.    That's going to really hurt Verizon's reputation, IMO....
I have to wonder why your experience is so different than mine.   My iPhone5 ran fine and my iPhone6 runs far faster and better, always running the latest iOS.   One thing that was really slow on the iPhone4 and 5, but is fine on the iPhone6, is the speed at which it will display a large spreadsheet or Word document.     The only major bug I've found recently is not in iOS, but on my Mac.   iTunes lost its playlists - not the songs themselves, but all the playlists I had...
A smartphone, for all intents and purposes, is a computer.   Apple knew how to make and sell computers.   The big leap that Apple made in smartphones was in user interface and in the eco-system.   Apple knew user-interface and had already launched the iTunes eco-system.   Phones and computers are relatively high margin items. Automobiles are very low-margin items with very high capital costs and in fact, most of the profits are in the financing and in options.   While...
That's absurd.   Even for elected office, there are no direct bribes.   There's campaign donations and "winks" that indicate the offer of jobs once the person leaves government service.   I've never a single report indicating that anyone at the FTC has every been directly bribed.   The FTC might sometime get things wrong, but that doesn't make them corrupt.  One thing has nothing to do with the other.   The FTC has nothing to do with internet speed and infrastructure.  ...
He took a lot of flack for the changes he made at JC Penny.   Personally, I thought the changes he tried to make, like getting rid of coupons and fake sales and upscaling the experience made a lot of sense.  But I was wrong as well.   And he certainly had success at Target bringing in a few designers to give the (false) impression that Target had become more stylish and upscale.   Those changes didn't make sense to JC Penny customers.  I read numerous news reports where JC...
My brother is a US citizen living in Sweden.   He does have to pay U.S. taxes, but Swedish taxes are deducted from it.   So you only wind up paying the highest amount you would have paid in either place.   At least according to him.    And if that's all accurate, the only people for whom it would be practical to renounce U.S. citizenship are those who live in countries which have a lower tax rate than the U.S.
I don't think they vet updates, but even if they do, this looks like a problem with updated content, not with an updated app.