or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Maybe.  Any surgery has risk and major surgery has major risks.   And when livers fail, they fail pretty fast so having part of your liver removed puts the remainder of your liver under big-time stress that can cause permanent damage, even though it can regenerate.   Because of some drugs that I take, I have to have my liver checked every four months or so.   The reason why it has to be checked so often is because of the speed at which the liver can fail. So don't...
There was some talk about this at the time it was revealed that he was that sick.   But how did that hurt shareholders?   Assuming an investor who didn't know Jobs was that ill, the stock would have been over-priced.   But it's not like it crashed after Jobs passed away - aside from dips here and there, the stock has been on an almost constant upwards trajectory since that time and even today, with the market and Apple stock down a bit, it's still at the pre-split...
 What I remember from my travels to London starting in 1986, was just a few channels with one of them playing an incredibly bad variety show, one with a four-hour snooker tournament and one playing ancient bad U.S. TV.    But I'll grant you that overall, BBC News is far better than anything produced in the U.S., even PBS (and NPR on the radio).  I know you said in an earlier post that you didn't like TV and while 90% of it is incredible time-wasting junk, there's also much...
Obviously, you're totally correct and I do use a MacPro (2008), although that's not really fast enough for video either.  I was responding mainly to the comment about why people need increased storage, not so much about the particular new Mac Book.     Using the BlackMagic speed test, on 10-bit YUV 4:2:2, it claims that my HD can only read 1080p at 17fps, 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 at 11 fps and 12 bit RGB 4:4:4 at 7 fps.   Write speed is slightly below that.   So one of these days,...
Except I've already gone blind from trying to fix an iPhone5.   Particles in the dirty air in my apartment are larger than the screws used in that thing.   I can't even imagine how small the parts are going to be in the watch, although small parts in mechanical watches are obviously common.    
While it's okay to say, "I love this", Jobs always using "I" reflected his ego.   Imagine a team of Apple employees who just spent 18 hours a day for the last nine months developing a new product and then watching Jobs get up there and using nothing but the word "I".    The fact that Cook says "we" does not reflect detachment, IMO.   It reflects his understanding of the reality that Apple has a wealth of talented executives and creators who drive the company.    To do the...
I completely disagree.   What stood out for me is that Cook is willing to give the credit where credit is due - that's one of the things I really like about him.   He's willing to share the stage with other Apple executives in a way that Jobs rarely did.   I think Jobs liked leaving an impression that he was responsible for the design of everything at Apple, even if we all realized that it wasn't literally true.    At the presentation and at the shareholder's meeting, Cook...
I think the 15" will get the same treatment when they release the next version.   As for the MBA, I think this latest upgrade is the last one.   What is the distinctive difference between the Air and this latest release?   There is none.    If you don't do video or photography, you probably don't need more storage space, but especially with video, it fills really, really fast.   And if you use Apple's video editing apps, you have your original source video, iMovie or Final...
All fair in love and war. Certainly their claimed competitive advantages are no less fair than the former Mac vs. PC campaign. It's all good. I want Apple to have good competition. It forces them to compete more aggressively. Of course, the competition didn't mention that their machines are heavier (which is more important - weight or size? - I would maintain weight) and don't use either the new keyboard technology or have the equivalent of Force Touch. For some...
 Not initially, but two years from purchase, probably.   I replaced the battery once in my late-2008 MBP and at this point it only lasts two hours.    So while, as per my other post, I do think this machine will sell really well, it would have been far better if it had two ports or separate power and USB-C.