or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Yes, they have spun-off the TV business and they're going to spin off the A/V business, but these new divisions are wholly owned by Sony.    The supposed idea was to give these businesses the freedom to operate without all of Sony's bureaucracy  but also to make them completely responsible for their own P&L.    And I think it's a game because since these businesses have been losing money for years, their losses will no longer reflect on the parent's balance sheet, which...
I think consumers bought these thinking they would use them to read a lot of e-books. But that hasn't really happened. e-book sales are actually way down - I think they've dropped something like 20%. People update their phones as soon as their contract permits because it's relatively inexpensive over the life of the contract. But you've got to pay the full freight for an iPad. And even the first models still work well (although they're heavier). So it's not...
I had the 128k and it wasn't the memory that was the problem, since you could only have one application in memory at a time anyway until they released 'the switcher'.   It was that before the hard disk, you spent your whole life switching 3.5" floppies as you switched from the OS to a floppy with apps on it (I think I had one floppy with both MacPaint and MacWrite) and perhaps a third floppy with your actual files. But the machine seemed miraculous.   I was working in...
I also disable everything from Spotlight except what's on the Mac (and I disable some of what's on the Mac as well).   If I want to search the web, I'll use the browser.   I really don't want these things tied together; it's two completely different objectives as far as I'm concerned.   And I'm not so happy with Spotlight as is.   It really should prioritize hits on filenames and bring those files to the top before it displays hits on content within files.      
Yes, or they might go with a tiny Mac, like the new MacBook, which you have to see in person (I did yesterday for the first time) to understand just how small and light and beautiful it is.   I'm still using my late 2008 MacBook Pro, which is great for everything except video editing.   It works for video editing, but it takes a long time to process effects and you really can't do frame accurate editing because the frame rate isn't all that high.   In spite of the MacBook...
Obviously, no country is going to re-do their entire outlet/plug system.  There are still plenty of buildings in the U.S. that still have only 2 wires (and not the green ground line) regardless of whether or not the outlet has been replaced with a 3-prong outlet.    The UK AC plug/outlet would be good, but only if they miniaturized it - it's very unwieldy and ridiculous overkill in its current form.  I remember being shocked (sic) at UK AC plugs the first time I travelled...
I'm no fan of Android, but one look at the forums here clearly demonstrates that Apple fanboys are just as bad.    I really don't remember such battles over Scott vs. Fisher receivers or Wollensak vs. Revere reel-to-reel tape recorders or GE vs. Frigidaire kitchen appliances.   Have we all lost our minds? If we have to get so emotional and sometimes even violent (recent bar fight) about our favorite brand of electronic device, it's no wonder that we still kill each other...
Aside from the addition of a keyboard, if you're willing to make these compromises because you're not doing intensive work on the computer, then the iPad is just as good a choice. For most people, the processor performance won't make a big difference because they're mainly just doing email, web surfing, Facebook, and either low resolution or highly compressed photos, etc.    But the lack of multiple ports is a big deal IMO and it definitely makes the machine a show-stopper...
Apple Maps already shows some transit information:      In NYC, Maps does show the location of subway stations.   They don't tell you what line and they don't provide routing directions, but at least they show you the locations of the stations.   They are also showing the locations of Long Island Railroad stations.   I also see the subway stops for Chicago, Los Angeles and London.   I just checked Boston and I don't see any T stops, but I also see far fewer...
People in Congress are able to think for themselves???    I think not.  A great many of them are blubbering idiots.  Even in cases where companies only "lobby" in the literal sense of the word and make absolutely no campaign contributions whatsoever, you listen to the people around you plus the people who are most active in getting you past a primary ("the base").   Because members of Congress primarily have only lobbyists around them, that's who they listen to. And then...