or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Thanks for posting this.   I don't understand all the "hate" for Gore.   A very decent man with some intellect, more than can be said for the vast majority of our other politicians. But even the Kahn/Cerf document you posted won't change the minds of most people here.    They have a story in their heads and then shape the facts to meet the demands of that story.      
 That's fine and it's fine for all the Apple fans to have decided that they "hate" Samsung, but the reality is that Samsung is the leader in TV and just about everyone else in the market is hurting badly and have cut back their TV lines.   I don't know whether or not Samsung makes any profit out of their TV business, but no one else does.   Samsung has killed Sony and Panasonic in this market, both of whom have cut back their lines.   Panasonic made great plasma TVs (as...
This is Apple's biggest fault:  They prioritize form over function.    Beautiful design and slimness is great, but it's worthless if you can't use the phone because the battery is dead.    What's going to sell more phones:  a slimmer phone or a longer battery life?  I'd gladly buy a thicker phone for longer battery life.    It's also a ridiculous compromise because most people put their phone into a case and once you do that, any semblance of its former thinness is...
I don't think most people realize that Jobs bought into Pixar long before they released their first animated film. It would be interesting to find out (and perhaps the book tells us this) how much influence Jobs had (or not) on pushing or supporting Pixar to be in that business. In some ways and especially since it wasn't part of Jobs' core competency or interests, that was a more amazing accomplishment than his return to Apple. Especially after paying just $5...
When you say, "I feel society's morals are degrading every year" and "society is going down the drain quickly", there is an implication that homosexuality is a new thing or that there are more homosexuals now than there have been in the past.    There isn't.   About 10% of human population has always been homosexual.    It may simply seem like there's more homosexuals because gays (for the most part) are no longer "in the closet".   The fact that you personally find gay...
Movies that take place in the future should never use current actual technology unless it's supposed to be retro.  In short order, it looks ridiculously out of date.   It always bothered me on the original Star Trek that all the large displays had a 1.33:1 aspect ratio.      If they can make an unbelievable realistic looking ape from motion capture and CGI, it shouldn't be too hard to make a prop that looks like the future, like something with a paper thin display or that...
I don't understand what this obsession is with whether someone famous is gay or not.    And why is it only a question when it pertains to potentially gay people and not to potentially heterosexual people?    Although people I work with know that I was once married and have a child, they don't really know much of what goes on in my private life and the question is never really raised other than "what'd you do this weekend?"   It shouldn't be raised with Cook either.  ...
Precisely because Adobe has turned so many people off with their subscription-only pricing model (and the expensive app pricing before that), Apple should have continued to provide alternatives. Furthermore, this reinforces the notion that you shouldn't buy apps, especially pro-apps, from Apple because there is no commitment over the long term that they'll continue to support those apps.    So even though they claim they're going to support the pro video and audio apps,...
No.  There's no regulation that says a publisher has to sell to everyone and they certainly don't have to sell to anyone who doesn't want to pay their wholesale price.      If Amazon wants a 65% discount from list and the publisher only wants to give a 55% discount or the publisher doesn't want to let Amazon print books when they run out of stock and the publisher can't supply additional copies immediately (which is what Amazon is indeed asking for), they don't have to.  ...
OK and if it wasn't from a big hit author, it probably sold somewhere between 5000 and 7500 copies, but let's say it sold 10,000 copies    That's $300,000 gross.   The publisher gets about $150,000.    The author (again assuming it wasn't a famous author) got about $40,000 in royalties and advances.   Let's say it cost $3 per copy to buy the paper, binding and have it printed.     For the remaining $80,000, the publisher had the overhead costs of finding the author/book,...