or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Either this case will drag on for years or Apple won't be found liable. Apple may have been dominant, but it wasn't a monopoly. The fact that you couldn't play iTunes tracks on another player means nothing - it's no different than Sony's Betamax. Certainly Amazon as a company is more dominant today than Apple's iTunes was at the time and Amazon's dominance appears to be totally legal. Furthermore, the plaintiffs can show no lasting damage because there are even more...
Having to buy a Sony player to play CDs would have been a bad idea, but it certainly would not have been illegal.   Betamax only played on Sony VCRs because Sony refused to license the technology, which in the end, is what killed it because VHS was available on many more models of players.    The other issue is that Apple never wanted DRM - it was forced on them by the record labels.     I'm not one who automatically defends Apple no matter what, but this lawsuit is...
I agree somewhat with once exception:   the lens flare.    There was so much lens flare and it looked so out of place, when I first saw his films I thought that it was some anomaly having to do with digital projection.    But I couldn't figure out why a digital projector would emphasize the lens flair.   (I used to be a consultant for a film tech organization and I was hired to review films on opening day to make sure the print and projection were up to par and I would...
 The Market Cap is most certainly the value of a company since by paying somewhat above the market cap, one can buy the company.   That's not to say that Wall Street doesn't sometimes over-value a company or base a value on vapor, but it doesn't matter since that's what it would take to buy it. Google:  Love 'em or hate 'em, believe it or not, selling advertising is a real business (have you heard of Television?) and Google is very good at it.    Just because they don't...
It's not a cash in.   A movie like this will NEVER make money.   Let's say it takes just $20 million to make (almost an impossibility).   It needs another $20 million to market.   That means it has to do $80 million in box-office ($40 million in rentals) just to break-even.   That's not going to happen for a movie of this nature.   For a movie to do well today, it has to have big international box-office and be able to do especially well in China.   95% of films do more...
Apple did have factories in Ireland at one time - back in the Apple ][ or very early Mac days, I believe.
You mean if shown ads when connected to their WiFi, not that the pylon is displaying ads, right?   I think the intent is only for the pylon to display ads.  But there are several problems:- many NYC parks claim free WiFi access.   But it either never works  (my iPhone doesn't find the WiFi), asks for a password that you obviously don't have, or you can connect, but it's so unbearably slow that it's faster just to use the phone connection. - according to the article, this...
That's what I've been wondering - whether Apple would drop Intel for its own chips, not just in the lower-end Macs, but in all Macs.  If they can achieve both the performance and software compatibility, there's really no reason not to.    Wouldn't want to be the owner of Intel stock if that ever happens (wait a minute...my mutual funds do hold Intel stock), although from a unit standpoint, Macs are a relatively small part of Apple's game these days. Among the many...
There is absolutely nothing in the net neutrality proposals that affects how much an ISP can charge its customers.    If you don't have net neutrality, every web site in existence is going to be held hostage by the ISPs.   I can see it now:  getting an email from each of the major ISPs telling me if I want my web sites to be in the "fast lane", I have to pay so much per year, otherwise the sites from the big companies will have priority.     The web was created out of...
 Of course they're incapable.   How do you know whether raw chicken has been left out unrefrigerated or whether someone used a knife on raw poultry and then used that same knife to cut your sandwich resulting in salmonella poisoning?    How would you know whether the refrigerator where the meat is stored is at the right temperature or whether the frozen food has freezer burn or whether the kitchen is infested with mice or not?  Or whether grease from the range hood isn't...