or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

While I do find that Pandora constantly repeats the same songs, I think library size is an overrated statistic.   What counts is the number of likable songs that come up when you program a streaming station.    In the age of MP3 downloads, consumers turned away from 'deep tracks' to singles because in most cases they didn't feel the non-singles tracks were worthy.   Personally I feel this really hurt artistic achievement in the music market.    In 2014, in the U.S....
I don't see how the new app replaces the old. While the new app looks great from a graphic standpoint and has lots of magazines embedded, it only has selected articles. Didn't they say in the Keynote that the New York Times, for example, would have only 30 articles per day? Newsstand, if you have a NYT subscription, has all the NY Times articles (but not the syndicated features like crosswords, etc.). I'd use the new app, but I'd want to keep the ability to read the...
There's a free app (at least I think it was free) called NYC Transit that has a route planner, the official subway map and gives plenty of info, although it doesn't show the physical entrances to subway stations as Maps is going to.   But it does show the service status of each line and lets you know when routes change or stations are going to be skipped because of construction, etc.    That information is presented poorly, but at least it's there. There's another app...
You're dreaming.   It's never going to be that much revenue. In the U.S. in 2014, Sound Exchange revenue to the record industry was $773.4 million, paid streaming subscriptions earned $799.1 million and On-demand ad supported streaming earned $294.8 million.   That's $1.867 billion.   Of course, that's the money that's paid to the record industry, not necessarily the top-line revenue of the services.  As long as there are free ad-supported streaming sites, there are going...
I'm an older guy who wears glasses, but I think I still prefer Helvetica over San Francisco.   The thinner lines make it more elegant, IMO.   I'm glad to see that upper/lower case keyboard change.  Jobs always said that the reason why the iPhone didn't have a physical keyboard was so the keyboard could change depending upon what you were doing, but the keyboard didn't change as you moved from lower to upper case or back (except for the Shift key).    And I always found...
You're right.  No one cares about that stuff anymore.   And IMO, that's one of the many reasons that the music business is in the dumps.   While one can search the interwebs to find out anything about an artists, I think the immediacy of reading the liner notes, finding out who the musicians and writers were generated tremendous interest in music and resulted in tons of sales.   In Europe and Japan, music geeks used to know such information down to the master numbers (and...
I don't know where your "locally" is, but businesses going under and vacant real estate has more to do with the transition to e-commerce, the domination of big box stores and malls and real estate owner greed than with the health of the economy itself.     Many commercial real-estate companies don't want local businesses - they want national chains because they pay more, they tend to stay in business and they'll keep paying the rent even when a given location is losing...
I'm not sure you're correct that the only way a merchant can refuse to accept Apple Pay is by turning off NFC.   My local chain drugstore has NFC terminals, my iPhone recognized the terminal and the terminal recognized that the phone was there, and at first it seemed like the transaction went through (according to the phone), but the transaction was refused.    I then used a debit card and was concerned enough that I checked my account to make sure they didn't charge me...
An absurd straw man argument.   Child molesters and pedophiles are caught by their actions and complaints about them, not by their phone calls.   Mexican drug cartels and the like have operated and expanded long before the advent of iOS.   Do you really think the Mexican and U.S. Governments don't already know about the cartels and their shipments?   If searching trucks at the borders doesn't stop the flow of drugs, do you really think phone call metadata is going to? In...