or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Movies that take place in the future should never use current actual technology unless it's supposed to be retro.  In short order, it looks ridiculously out of date.   It always bothered me on the original Star Trek that all the large displays had a 1.33:1 aspect ratio.      If they can make an unbelievable realistic looking ape from motion capture and CGI, it shouldn't be too hard to make a prop that looks like the future, like something with a paper thin display or that...
I don't understand what this obsession is with whether someone famous is gay or not.    And why is it only a question when it pertains to potentially gay people and not to potentially heterosexual people?    Although people I work with know that I was once married and have a child, they don't really know much of what goes on in my private life and the question is never really raised other than "what'd you do this weekend?"   It shouldn't be raised with Cook either.  ...
Precisely because Adobe has turned so many people off with their subscription-only pricing model (and the expensive app pricing before that), Apple should have continued to provide alternatives. Furthermore, this reinforces the notion that you shouldn't buy apps, especially pro-apps, from Apple because there is no commitment over the long term that they'll continue to support those apps.    So even though they claim they're going to support the pro video and audio apps,...
No.  There's no regulation that says a publisher has to sell to everyone and they certainly don't have to sell to anyone who doesn't want to pay their wholesale price.      If Amazon wants a 65% discount from list and the publisher only wants to give a 55% discount or the publisher doesn't want to let Amazon print books when they run out of stock and the publisher can't supply additional copies immediately (which is what Amazon is indeed asking for), they don't have to.  ...
OK and if it wasn't from a big hit author, it probably sold somewhere between 5000 and 7500 copies, but let's say it sold 10,000 copies    That's $300,000 gross.   The publisher gets about $150,000.    The author (again assuming it wasn't a famous author) got about $40,000 in royalties and advances.   Let's say it cost $3 per copy to buy the paper, binding and have it printed.     For the remaining $80,000, the publisher had the overhead costs of finding the author/book,...
 Most studio recordings, especially rock, do have little to do with real life, but that's intentional and there's nothing wrong with that.  Art can be made in the studio with electronic devices and use sounds that are different than what you'd hear with either acoustic instruments or "vanilla" electric instruments.   The Beatles stopped touring after 1966 because they were afraid of the crowds and because they were tired of playing for screaming girls who couldn't hear the...
I realize that you're referring to web b.s., but for years, I watched GEICO ads on TV where they claimed to save you "up to 15% or more" and figured they wouldn't save me much of anything.   But after my last insurance increase (which should have been a decrease, since I have no claims and the car is worth less each year), I called GEICO and it cut my insurance bill in half for slightly more coverage!   So you never know.   On the other hand, when I then priced home...
Unless they are able to substantially reduce prices further, the market for the iPod is limited to those people who don't use a smartphone, need another device to play apps and music besides a phone for another household member or don't want the storage limited by email, etc.    As more phone companies adopt data plans which apply to all members of the family but still permit you to purchase a subsidized phone, the iPod becomes moot.   Why pay $200 or more for an iPod when...
Actually, recording engineers (and musicians) have WORSE hearing on average, especially if they've also done live sound mixing as they've damaged their hearing over the years due to monitoring at high sound levels.   I know few musicians who don't have tinnitus.   This is actually one of the reasons so many recordings sound bad as they boost frequencies they can't hear. I'm an ex-recording engineer and I never used headphones in the studio, unlike live radio where we did....
There are many ways to save energy and no one specific right way.   What counts is what a person's total carbon footprint is, not whether they use a dryer or not.   If I didn't use a dryer, clothes would take at least two days to dry and that assumes I would have a place to dry them, which I don't. But on the other hand, I have a small carbon footprint because I live in a relatively small apartment and don't drive very often and I absolutely never have the AC on when I'm...