or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

While Microsoft was obviously not very successful in the phone market, the fact remains that the iPhone did not really become massively successful in the market until Apple worked out the deal with AT&T to subsidize the phone and bring the perceived price down to $200.    If Apple had not accomplished that, the iPhone would still be a phone only used by the elite and people whose company would pay for the phone.  
The drive for market share doesn't work in a third world economy where only the tiniest percentage of people can afford to buy what you're selling.   And to address the masses and claim market share, you'd have to sell a phone for next to nothing and make no profit on it.   Now that can be a valid strategy for some companies on the basis that you want to build customer loyalty so that eventually, when the masses can afford more, they'll stick with you.    The only problem...
In my opinion, in order to type efficiently, you need tactile feedback.    Compare how fast people type on an iPad to how fast people type on a physical keyboard.   IMO, Apple should not be trying to turn the MacBook Pro line into a Pad - that's what the Pads are for.  Why do I think that this is more about Apple's notion of Zen design than about real usability.    So personally, I hope this never happens for the central part of the keyboard unless they can find a way to...
While the technology advances at Tesla are very interesting, they are never going to be a mass-market producer and the Market expects Apple to be a mass-market producer (for better or worse).   Tesla is more like Next - very high end, very esoteric, very expensive and few bought it.   I think if Apple bought Tesla, it would sink Apple's stock, in spite of the current hype over Tesla's stock.   (Or maybe I'm just envious because I'm never going to be able to afford a...
  Yes, Apple already provides the functionality.   But there are a lot of people who don't use Apple's phones.   The legislators pushing the bill want this for everyone.   So, make a more valid observation as your argument is baseless.    While I disagree with the way he phrased his last comment, let me say what I think is true:  Republicans will be opposed to this legislation not because they could care less about the loss of anything by others, but because they think big...
 John Stewart highlighted that video and reacted with disgust.    But again, this is what happens when we live in a society in which quality means little.   Ratings mean much because they drive dollars.   And we judge success only by dollars.   No one objects when the news channels pull crap like the above.    But a lot of people object when CPB or NPR, which at least attempts to do better,  gets a few cents per person in taxpayer money.    Back in the days of the big...
I think it's pretty obvious if we look around us.   What kind of topics dominate the conversation?   What do the news outlets care about?   Which public figures are considered to be worthy and which are criticized? Most of the conversation is about badly behaving actors or musicians, celebrities of the moment and athletes.    The news rarely goes beyond the headline.    If you're a Bieber or Khardashian, you go to the top of the news pile.    People spend countless hours...
One of the problems is that many public schools, because of the demands of "testing", don't teach history in most elementary school grades anymore.   I found this out recently and was totally shocked by it.    My daughter lives in upstate New York.  She home schools my granddaughter because the public schools and even the local private schools are so incredibly awful.   In the fifth grade, the public school kids take only four subjects:  Math, "Literacy", Health and Phys...
While the actions of the NSA are extremely troubling and IMO a total violation of our constitutional rights, there's absolutely nothing in the legislation giving anyone but the consumer the ability to kill their stolen phone.   Apple already has the feature so it doesn't matter whether it becomes an actual law or not as far as Apple users are concerned.    Most legislators are so naive about the real world, my bet is that half the sponsors probably don't even realize that...
While it's true that all of these TV bits edit out the smart people and only show the dumb ones, because people who actually know the answers aren't very funny, it's also true that Americans are notoriously ill-informed about things that matter.    That's not to say that there aren't plenty of idiots in every country in the world, but we're supposed to be the "most powerful nation on earth".    I've posted this before, but: In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to...