or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

While the actions of the NSA are extremely troubling and IMO a total violation of our constitutional rights, there's absolutely nothing in the legislation giving anyone but the consumer the ability to kill their stolen phone.   Apple already has the feature so it doesn't matter whether it becomes an actual law or not as far as Apple users are concerned.    Most legislators are so naive about the real world, my bet is that half the sponsors probably don't even realize that...
While it's true that all of these TV bits edit out the smart people and only show the dumb ones, because people who actually know the answers aren't very funny, it's also true that Americans are notoriously ill-informed about things that matter.    That's not to say that there aren't plenty of idiots in every country in the world, but we're supposed to be the "most powerful nation on earth".    I've posted this before, but: In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to...
Actually, I doubt very much whether Apple had a deal with Time-Warner or any other MSO.    The reason why is that the cable networks grant very limited web rights to the MSOs and the rights they do grant have to be used directly by them, for instance by offering VOD.   They have almost no rights to grant access to another company who then resells the content again.   The only content that could have been part of a Time-Warner deal was Time-Warner content, like HBO shows...
IMO, that should only be reserved going forward for new platforms or totally new product lines, except perhaps in the case of a current product that makes a giant technological leap forward or a totally new form factor, but it would have to be a really big leap.   A case redesign won't cut it.   No one cares about more memory or cheaper storage or a faster processor anymore.    That's why after almost every Apple announcement, the stock price falls.  If the next iPhones...
Great post, but I think there are two important issues:- Employment rates around the world are poor enough and a robotics work force would decrease it even more.   While I don't want to sound like a luddite, if everyone is unemployed, who is left to buy the products these companies produce, especially when the companies are not only producing luxury products for the upper classes, but where the markets expect them to produce products for the masses? Also, wages in China...
If by "new products", you mean "new models", that would be incorrect. They introduced the MacPro 13" Retina on 2/13/13 along with two 15" models.   And they introduced the MacBook Air (Haswell) on June 10th.  There was also an iMac that wasn't sold through the Apple website that was introduced in March, 2013:  Model ME699LL/A ($1099) In addition, the IPad Retina with 128GB of memory was not released with the other iPads in October of 2012 - it was released on 2/5/13....
And that headline and sub-line wasn't intended to make us think that the developer was angry at Apple for some reason? Click bait again.
Are you kidding?   We're far dumber than not being able to find India on a map. Aside from California, Texas, Florida and maybe New York, most Americans can't find a given state on a map and in surveys I've seen (and in a bit that Jay Leno once did), many don't know that there are 50 states.    In 2011, Newsweek gave a "Citizenship Test" to 1000 Americans and 38% failed.   29% couldn't name the Vice-President.   (I pray none of these people vote.) Other "highlights": 88%...
There's a difference between competitive sponsorship or endorsement and passive use.     An athlete should not be allowed, for example, to wear an Apple-logoed jacket for which they are getting paid a fee by Apple or one of Apple's agencies if Apple is not an Olympics sponsor.   But any athlete or attendee should be completely free to use whatever devices and to wear whatever clothes they desire without any restrictions whatsoever without having to hide logos unless they...
I don't agree.   Let's look at what a typical office worker uses:   Mail, Word, Excel, a browser and perhaps some internal enterprise systems:   accounts receivable, accounts payable, perhaps an app to log hours and maybe some specialty app for the particular line of business the company is in (which is most likely to be a web-based app anyway), etc. What functions is a five-year-old app missing that a newer version of that software would have?     Little that I can think...