or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Not only that, but I think your numbers reflect the cumulative debt.   The annual debt ratio to GDP is (obviously) far lower and very manageable.  The 2016 budget is expected to come in with a deficit of 2.5% of GDP and the 2017 budget (last Obama budget) is expected to come in at 2.3% of GDP.   The highest since 1980 was the last Bush budget (2009), which came in at 9.8% of GDP.    The only years since 1980 in which there was a surplus were the four final years under...
 I really don't understand this.   What was the point of releasing a new Mac version if I can't keep the cal and address book in sync?   Why do we keep taking steps backwards?    I don't know whether to blame Apple or Microsoft, but I really don't see why Sync Services can't still work to keep Apple's address book and calendar in sync with Microsoft and then use iCloud to keep the address book and cal in sync with phone, etc. As far as I can tell if you use Sync Services,...
There's nothing wrong with the Disneyfication of 42nd street.   They did a brilliant job restoring the New Amsterdam theatre.   What's bad is the mallification of 42nd street - bringing in national chain restaurants and retail.   I fail to understand how this attracts tourists when tourists can find exactly the same places in their home town malls.     Traditionally, most of the big chains avoided NYC.   The Gap was one of the first big chains to target NYC and after they...
I don't know what that has to do with my post, since I didn't say anything about any part of NYC being "filthy" (downscale doesn't mean dirty), but it depends upon what you're comparing it to.    If you're comparing it to a small town in Maine or the streets of central Paris or Munich, yes, it's filthy.   If you're comparing it to NYC in the 1970s or 80s, no, it's actually quite clean (and by clean, I mean "litter free", not the quality of the air) except in the few...
I live a few neighborhoods away, but I'm really surprised that Apple is opening a store here.   While before the mall's expansion some years ago, it had the highest per-foot sales of any mall in the U.S. and it does get tremendous foot traffic compared to many suburban malls, it's a relatively downscale mall that attracts lower- and middle-class shoppers.       While it has a parking garage, the majority of shoppers come there by public transportation, although it's only a...
Apples and oranges.   Samsung is a diverse company with many product lines.   You don't know where the losses are because they don't break out the separate businesses.   It could have been TVs, it could have been major appliances (ranges, refrigerators).    The losses simply could have been because of the rising US dollar.     The fact is that while declining profits are certainly a bad thing, they're still making $6 billion a quarter in operating profit.     It's easy to...
Neither do  I and I never did.   Apple currently operates in very high margin businesses.   Although luxury cars have higher margins than "ordinary" cars, the auto business is extremely low margin and has very high capital costs (although high cash flow).   Also, although Apple can "Think Different", traditionally, car companies have owned their factories, which Apple doesn't currently do.     Although Apple has traditionally looked at existing products, figured out what...
No, they'll get over it just like they did with integration or with laws that require them not to discriminate in their business with people of other religions.   It's a completely hypocritical argument anyway, because they do business with people who violate other precepts of their religion, such as those who use birth control, have pre-marital sex, commit adultery, don't honor the sabbath, steal, etc.   I'm old enough to remember when people made religious arguments...
I disagree and I'm someone who completely supports taking down the Confederate battle flag from state houses and the like.   Apple should have looked at the context of its use in each game or asked the developers for a description of the context of its use BEFORE they took anything down, not AFTER. I think when the controversy hit, someone at Apple panicked and made this terrible decision to take everything down with the flag in it.  That was overkill - a terrible decision...
Equal protection laws.     Without them, we'd still have slavery or legal segregation in the south.Edit:  JFC1138 beat me to it above.