or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

That legacy MacBook Pro doesn't show up on the main entry page if you go to the Apple site and click "Mac>MacBook Pro>Tech Specs".  It only shows up if you click the "Buy Now" button.     That makes me think it's not long for this world.    I'm also in the court that Apple should still be making an updated machine with an optical drive and with user-replaceable battery, storage and memory, like my late-2008 MacBook Pro, which I'm still using.   If the machine has to be...
You think Apple paid $2.5 billion for Beats Electronics and will kill it? No freaking way.
 While I don't personally like the sound of Beats headphones and they do emphasize bass over high-end, which is one of the reasons I don't like them, tell me how Beats headphones compress the music.   Is there a circuit in the headphones that compresses the music?  I was really not aware of that.     EDIT: Apparently there is.  And the fact is that there are plenty of very expensive headphones that don't sound very good.    Beats is far from the only offender.
 Whether they're a commodity or not (and I think they are in consumers' minds from a pricing standpoint, since most of the price is buried in the monthly payments) is a separate factor of whether they're at the pinnacle of present design capability, with 'present' being the operative word.    Present meaning "today", maybe.    But present meaning "tomorrow", definitely not.  The question is whether tomorrow means September or whether it means Fall 2015. There are certainly...
 While I won't pretend to know Bose's specific patented implementation, noise-cancellation is usually done by having a microphone pick up the ambient noise and then feeding that signal out of phase into the headphone.    The actual noise and the inverted noise cancel each other out.   The only thing special and unique is how you process the signal coming through the microphone to match the sound of the noise heard through the pads of the headphones.    This technique was...
 That's what is implied by the ads, but if you watch them closely what they really say is that you get more battery life if you put the phone into power saving mode, which from what I've read, offers almost no functionality and turns the screen to black & white. You can do almost the same thing on an iPhone by turning off location services and Bluetooth (and avoiding making phone calls).Nonetheless, Samsung's hits at both the iPhone and iPhone users do ring (sic) true...
Depending upon how the test was conducted, the battery life relationships between the Fire Phone and an iPhone and the Fire Phone and a Samsung might have little to do with the relationship between the Samsung and the iPhone, even though one might surmise from the test that there's only a 9% difference.    But even that 9% difference, if that's accurate, could mean 97 minutes difference in an 18-hour day.    That isn't a minor difference.   
In spite of its major faults, I think it will sell quite well just as the Kindle apparently has. And for the millions who do constantly buy from Amazon, they won't care that it points them there.I'm actually a little surprised that Amazon used Android and didn't attempt to develop their own OS. Not that it would have been better.
 I think that's an unfair statement.    I'm no defender of men who assault women and I'm not even a basketball fan, so I'm not favorably biased in Bryant's favor and I also think that athletes and actors get too many passes for bad behavior, but If you read the details of the case, there are many questions about whether it was consensual or rape and whether the woman had mental problems.    Beginning with, "what was she doing in his room in the first place?"    And...
 I think that until consumers feel they need to upgrade, there will be declines because most people who want an Apple product badly try to buy them when they're first released.      I think the iPad needs an upgrade that is easily recognized as a vastly substantial improvement in order to trigger an upgrade cycle.   That would probably mean a product which, at the very least, has much longer battery life and is much lighter in weight.    It also needs some functionality...