or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

AppleInsider presents news about Apple regardless of whether one is a "fan" or not. There's nothing wrong with criticizing Apple or providing an opinion based on an analysis of the marketplace as long as that opinion is backed by critical thinking and documented facts.
Don't be ridiculous.   Until Apple Pay is accepted at 100% of places that accept credit/debit cards, including ATMs, even iPhone users will still have to carry credit and/or debit cards.   Just because one's contract is up, doesn't mean that they upgrade to a new phone.   I reached two years in my contract in November, but I think I'm keeping my iPhone 5, skipping over the 6 and will hold out for the 7.   And although fanboys might not want to realize this, there are...
Yes, but that doesn't mean that Apple is perfect or never makes mistakes.   And there's a difference between sales success and quality (eat at McDonald's to see how that works).   Although it wasn't Tim's, remember the Mac G4 Cube?   My son-in-law does Mac support for a production house and they see lots of Macs that are dead out of the box.   And on existing Macs, they see lots of drive and video failures.   (Of course all that keeps him employed, so it's not all...
I think many of you are over-thinking this.  While there's many ways Apple could go, I think the most likely scenario is that there's a separate counter with stools where you try on the watches.   Might that be in a new separate area of the store behind glass and be a bit fancier?  Maybe.    I suppose since they're also talking about seating, it's possible that there are some fancy chairs or couches and a sales person works with customers 1-on-1 and brings out trays of...
While I think the ever-taller skyscrapers in Manhattan are horrible primarily because they're reducing the amount of light hitting the street, the downside of low-height development is that it takes more ground space and therefore, you lose more greenery.      Biographies of Disney that I've read seem to indicate that while he was initially happy with the plans for Disney World because they were buying enough land to control space around the park and to accomplish what...
Actually it is uncommon, because almost all live music is ridiculously amplified and processed with the possible exception of classical music in a decent hall.Even most shows on Broadway are processed and mixed to rock band levels.  And no one seems to understand the benefit of dynamic range anymore.    Not too many years ago I was in a club and the opening act was a solo flute player.   You'd think that they couldn't blow (sic) that, but the sound mixer blasted the flute...
It's not just the compression or all the other processing that radio uses today.   Poor quality components in almost all radios plus vastly increased levels of interference has diminished radio quality incredibly.   A long-time radio engineer named Herb Squire put together a demonstration tape that was presented to the FCC some years ago showing what both AM and FM sounded like on good quality consumer radios produced in the 1930s through the 1970s.   The quality was...
I might be confused, but I thought Meridian was already purchased by Dolby Labs.  
  I don't necessary agree that no one has ever been able to hear a difference between compressed and non-compressed audio, but I do agree that no one I've ever met has been able to hear the difference between, for example, Redbook CD 44.1/16 and so-called high resolution audio like 96/24 or between an analog LP and a CD-R copy of that LP (If digital is so bad, how come they can't tell the difference?)   I believe I can tell the difference between standard MP3 and Apple AAC...
The iPhone is so light and easy to hold that I really don't think that vibration or user shake is much of an issue.  Remember that image stabilization only works to rectify user movement, not subject movement.    It's a far different issue in heavy DSLRs using large and heavy zoom lenses.   It always boggles my mind that I can take very stable videos on my iPhone, but when I hand hold video on my Nikon D800, it's usually all "shaky-cam" if I'm making long shots, like...