or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

That's true except that in the movie industry, the full 4096 x 2160 that the projectors are capable of isn't generally actually used.  In 4K projectors, 1.85:1 movies are projected at 3996x2160 and widescreen movies are projected at 4096x1716.   There is an option in the Sony 4K projector to blow up the 1716 to 2160 in the projector and then use a 1.25x anamorphic lens in projection, but almost no theatre does that because they don't want to change lenses and the Sony...
So what you're saying is there are no minorities or other women (aside from Jung) who can do the job.    I think that's the part that is nonsense.   The reality is that "old white boy clubs" feel most comfortable with other "old white boys".    So in their heads, they feel those people are the most qualified.   This is what discrimination is really about in most circumstances today.   It's not that people "hate" other ethnicities, genders, etc. - most people, especially...
The 180-gram vinyl does serve a purpose - it tends to warp less then the lighter vinyl of yesteryear.    But the $20 to $35 a pop is not just because of the 180 gram, it's to pay the licensing costs (these are mostly not put out by the original labels) and the higher manufacturing costs (since these are low volume pressings). Also, if you take a pop album that sold for $6.98 in 1975, that is $30.24 in today's (U.S.) dollars.   So it's not that bad a deal.    It just seems...
What has happened to me many times is that I play a commercial CD of a classic album and think, "this sounds like crap - the vinyl sounded much better."  So I pull out the vinyl and put it on and it sounds far worse.    I think a lot of what we think about the sound of analog vinyl is nostalgia and a lot of it has to do with the ears we listened with back then.    Having said that, there are certain types of distortion that we like to hear.    Certain types of...
There's a lot of debate about 24bit/192Khz.     Personally, I think the higher bit rate has more of an impact than the sampling rate because the higher bit rate leads to less quantization.   Quantization is essentially "rounding" of the voltage when converting from analog to digital.      If you believe in the Nyquist theorem, which is the basis for all digital recording, then you believe that the sampling frequency only needs to be twice the highest frequency you want to...
Singers get paid royalties from their label, however the reality is that most never earn out their royalty advance, so that's the only royalty they ever see.     The labels see to it that no one ever earns out their advance (except for the biggest acts, although they sometimes get such big advances, they never earn out either).     That's why some artists have created their own labels.   Even if they sell far fewer copies, they wind up with more money. But this is the...
 Don't blame them - blame the performing arts societies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC).    They negotiated a rate and paid it.   However they also have to pay Sound Exchange for the performances and those rates are actually quite high.    The last increase came close to shutting down Pandora. 
The entire thing is ridiculous.   No one should need to be interviewed because the monitor is not about the past, for which Apple has already been "punished", it's about the future.  And as far as the future goes, all Bromovich has to do is one thing:   receive copies of any proposed agreements between Apple and publishers.    He then should be reviewing the proposed contract for any violations of the judge's order.    If there is any, he contacts the lawyer or business...
I think it's a gross exaggeration to say that these competitive devices are "worthless".   I've looked at both Windows and Android phones and many of my co-workers use them.   While I greatly prefer my iPhone, those other devices may have their problems, but they are clearly not worthless.   Even the Surface wasn't completely worthless (close, but not completely).     And actually, building those cheap, "worthless" devices can make you the sales leader.   There are far...
Maybe you should talk to the developers.    In the physical world, your logic would say that large distributors don't make money for publishers and other content producers, that the content producers make money for the distributors.   The fact is that both are true.    Sure, Apple takes a cut, but the developers get 70%.    As of this past June, Apple had paid out $10 billion to developers.    That's certainly not chump change.      You're also not considering that Apple...