or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I have to wonder why your experience is so different than mine.   My iPhone5 ran fine and my iPhone6 runs far faster and better, always running the latest iOS.   One thing that was really slow on the iPhone4 and 5, but is fine on the iPhone6, is the speed at which it will display a large spreadsheet or Word document.     The only major bug I've found recently is not in iOS, but on my Mac.   iTunes lost its playlists - not the songs themselves, but all the playlists I had...
A smartphone, for all intents and purposes, is a computer.   Apple knew how to make and sell computers.   The big leap that Apple made in smartphones was in user interface and in the eco-system.   Apple knew user-interface and had already launched the iTunes eco-system.   Phones and computers are relatively high margin items. Automobiles are very low-margin items with very high capital costs and in fact, most of the profits are in the financing and in options.   While...
That's absurd.   Even for elected office, there are no direct bribes.   There's campaign donations and "winks" that indicate the offer of jobs once the person leaves government service.   I've never a single report indicating that anyone at the FTC has every been directly bribed.   The FTC might sometime get things wrong, but that doesn't make them corrupt.  One thing has nothing to do with the other.   The FTC has nothing to do with internet speed and infrastructure.  ...
He took a lot of flack for the changes he made at JC Penny.   Personally, I thought the changes he tried to make, like getting rid of coupons and fake sales and upscaling the experience made a lot of sense.  But I was wrong as well.   And he certainly had success at Target bringing in a few designers to give the (false) impression that Target had become more stylish and upscale.   Those changes didn't make sense to JC Penny customers.  I read numerous news reports where JC...
My brother is a US citizen living in Sweden.   He does have to pay U.S. taxes, but Swedish taxes are deducted from it.   So you only wind up paying the highest amount you would have paid in either place.   At least according to him.    And if that's all accurate, the only people for whom it would be practical to renounce U.S. citizenship are those who live in countries which have a lower tax rate than the U.S.
I don't think they vet updates, but even if they do, this looks like a problem with updated content, not with an updated app.   
   Yes, they have spun-off the TV business and they're going to spin off the A/V business, but these new divisions are wholly owned by Sony.    The supposed idea was to give these businesses the freedom to operate without all of Sony's bureaucracy  but also to make them completely responsible for their own P&L.    And I think it's a game because since these businesses have been losing money for years, their losses will no longer reflect on the parent's balance sheet, which...
I think consumers bought these thinking they would use them to read a lot of e-books. But that hasn't really happened. e-book sales are actually way down - I think they've dropped something like 20%. People update their phones as soon as their contract permits because it's relatively inexpensive over the life of the contract. But you've got to pay the full freight for an iPad. And even the first models still work well (although they're heavier). So it's not...
I had the 128k and it wasn't the memory that was the problem, since you could only have one application in memory at a time anyway until they released 'the switcher'.   It was that before the hard disk, you spent your whole life switching 3.5" floppies as you switched from the OS to a floppy with apps on it (I think I had one floppy with both MacPaint and MacWrite) and perhaps a third floppy with your actual files. But the machine seemed miraculous.   I was working in...
I also disable everything from Spotlight except what's on the Mac (and I disable some of what's on the Mac as well).   If I want to search the web, I'll use the browser.   I really don't want these things tied together; it's two completely different objectives as far as I'm concerned.   And I'm not so happy with Spotlight as is.   It really should prioritize hits on filenames and bring those files to the top before it displays hits on content within files.