or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I think that's true although I still like having the option of shooting video on my DSLR without having to carry yet another piece of equipment.   I thought I would never use the video on my DSLR, but I find myself using it more and more.     It's amazing how it's so easy to hold an iPhone and get smooth video, but stick a big lens on a DSLR and even using special straps and the like, I'm frequently shooting shaky-cam, especially for long shots like recording a song in a...
25% of U.S. GDP is devoted to health care.   Millions of parents send their kids to private schools because the public schools suck.   We also have to pay for day care.     The question isn't how much taxes anyone pays  - it's how well one is able to live (and by how well, I don't just mean affording material goods, but how much time one can spend on pursuits other than work and the quality of one's daily life, including the cultural environment). While Europe certainly...
Yes, very high resolution, but not all that great at dynamic range. According to Thom Hogan: (http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-downside-to-more-pixels.html)
While it's true that megapixels is not the only indicator of quality and that in small sensors, more megapixels can actually do harm because they heat up and cause noise, especially at high ISOs, to claim as Gruber apparently did, that a cell phone camera can offer DSLR quality when it has such a small sensor and a tiny lens is completely absurd. All it demonstrates is that Gruber knows nothing about the physics of digital photography. Having said that, there is plenty...
Can't compare the U.S. to the Netherlands.   The Netherlands is so much more advanced in many respects when it comes to the environment and social living.  Aside from Amsterdam itself, I was in Zeeland some years ago and was amazed at the fantastic protected bicycle paths everywhere and the beautiful local town.   In fact, whenever I'm in Europe, in spite of its many problems, I can completely understand why so many Europeans think Americans are completely nuts.  
I think that's absurd.   What core competency does Apple have that has anything to do with a vehicle?    And why would Apple even want to be in that business?  Apple is in very high margin businesses.  Cars are very low margin -- there's actually more money in the financing than there is in selling the car.   There's probably a greater potential margin in expensive cars like the Tesla, but Tesla has only built 7000 cars.  And do you think Apple would compete with Tesla?...
If Apple decided to become an MSO (a cable company equivalent), I think they could solve it because they wouldn't necessarily be burdened with the contractual structures of the past.   With the cable companies, the cable networks make them take channels they don't really want in order to get the channels they do want.   Apple could put a stop to that.   And while I wrote in a previous post that unbundling probably wouldn't work, there is a scheme where they could assign...
Theoretically, unbundling would be great, but as a recent New York Times article pointed out with reference to the airlines and hotels, unbundling of fees has increased the total amount people must spend, not decreased it.   And it's really annoying getting nickel and dimed to death. So if your cable provider (or Apple or anyone) charges $5 per channel per month, while that sounds reasonable, you could easily wind up paying the same amount or more for many fewer channels....
 Yes, you're correct.    I took the previous poster's question about bit rate to be about bit depth.    But everything else I wrote still applies.