or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Even Apple is reputed to have sent tons of Macs, Mac LCs, Peformas, Quadras and the Centris models to the dumpster just before Jobs returned to the company and reformulated the product line. By 1996, Apple had gotten it down to just Macs and Performas. In '97, before Jobs returned, there were just 4 Performa models released, the last one on April 1. Jobs returned on July 9th.I did have a G4 Sawtooth that was a great machine that I used for nine years (which must be...
That may be the most absurd statement I've ever seen posted on this site. No corporation that I think of was ever run for the employees' benefit. I can think of a few that were run for the senior executives' benefit (Enron, etc.), but never for the employees. And "widows and orphans" tend to have their pensions and other investments in mutual funds, not in single stocks, so whether a particular single company does well or not is almost a moot point. In my...
What the Government can do, although this wouldn't change the amount we pay, is to enforce clear advertising and billing practices. They shouldn't be permitted to advertise a $60 a month plan when that plan actually costs $83 with taxes and fees. They shouldn't be permitted to imply that certain fees are "government fees" when they're not. They shouldn't be permitted to advertise that an upgrade to a new iPhone (after two years) is $199 when it's actually $229. ...
I disagree with your analysis. The Publishers set the price, not Apple. There is no minimum price. Apple may be crossing the line when they want "most favored nation" status, but lots of contracts have such a status - in fact, when you sign a contract with any agency of the U.S. Government, they usually demand it. Anyone CAN undercut Apple. But if they do, Apple gets to charge that price as well. I don't blame Apple - why would they let a publisher...
I agree, although I don't see Apple getting into the energy business. If Apple did make a major leap in the development of practical renewal power, that would do more to "change the world" than any computer they ever made. If Apple was successful at this, can you imagine if everyone who attempts to copy Apple today, attempted to copy them at this - where it would become "unhip" or "politically incorrect" to build or operate a factory that didn't use renewable...
No. Amazon was trying to gain a dominant level of market share to keep other people from even entering the business. The poster you responded to was correct. If you create an unhealthy business, eventually that business goes away. That's why physical retail is fast disappearing. Were we better off when Borders and Barnes & Noble came in with huge stores and frequent discounts and killed the independent booksellers? Now Borders is gone and Barnes & Noble...
In traditional trade book deals, authors are paid royalties based upon the list price of the book, so it makes no difference to them what the books sell for. E-books can be treated either as a trade book, as a specially negotiated deal or as a subright. If a subright, the authors actually get more: they tend to get about 40%-50% of net revenue (as opposed to about 12% of cover price on a hardcover). Amazon could be accused of predatory pricing when they sell below...
I read somewhere that Steve Jobs felt the reason why Apple could best Sony is that Apple divisions didn't have to compete against each other because there was only one P&L. At Sony, the movie division doesn't want to "give" their content to the hardware division unless the hardware division not only pays for it, but is willing to pay more than other parties. (I've experienced the same thing in large companies I've worked for - in one, we had to buy physical products...
The biggest problem with FMP isn't the software itself, it's that it's easy enough so that people who know nothing about proper database structures and conventions can use it. They wind up creating databases that look like "ransom notes".
I agree that the ad has problems and I've posted about that before, but I completely disagree that Steve wouldn't have approved it. IMO, that's exactly the kind of ad he would have approved. He would have thought a voiceover was not "aesthetic". The Titanic is beginning to sink??? With Apple's sales and stock price??? It's more like The Titanic lifted itself out of the water and began to fly at Mach3. In a still-bad economy, the stock price has doubled in a...