or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

It's well known that Lennon and McCartney stopped writing together by 1966. It's also very well known that Lennon had nothing to do with "Yesterday" - he criticized McCartney for it in his solo song "How Do You Sleep?": "You live with straights who tell you, you was kingJump when your momma tell you anythingThe only thing you done was yesterdayAnd since you've gone you're just another day"McCartney wrote the song "Silly Love Songs" in response. They made a deal early...
I'm on 10.6.8 and my weather widget has always worked fine.
[QUOTE=cy_starkman;2048628][QUOTE=anthropic;2048593]I still can't believe in this day and age that privacy is an issue, you have none, the government knows everything, Apple knows EVERYTHING, Micro$oft knows EVERYTHING, now Google also know EVERYTHING.We might all hate it, but unsolicited advertising is not illegal. Personally, I don't think Google and other advertising systems should be permitted to read any cookies except for the ones that they write in the first...
If accurate, this is very bad news as far as I'm concerned. If they make the MBP exactly like a MBA, then there's no Pro line. And that, IMO, would be a big mistake. What about people who need a lot of storage? I just took out my 250 GB HDD and replaced it with a 750 GB drive (which also happens to have a small Flash drive as part of it) for only $200 (and it was that expensive only because of the current drive shortage). What do I do when Apple's next machine...
I disagree. The benefit of making your philanthropy public, as Gates has done, is to encourage others to do the same. Some years ago, it was reported that Gates tried to get agreement from all the other "richest people on the planet" to each donate the same amount of money, so each would maintain their same position on the Fortune list, but most refused. While I do cringe a little when 42 different names are plastered throughout a museum, library, hospital or school,...
That's ridiculous. Like all manufacturers, Sony makes both high end and low end sets. Some are junk and not worth what Sony charges and some are spectacular. Some of the spectacular ones do have QC problems. Sony's XBR HX929 set is absolultely spectacular if you don't get one with some of the problems and on sale, it's actually reasonably priced. Sony made an absolutely amazing set back in 2008, the XBR 8, but it was very expensive and they never made another set...
That's not what it's about. It's called "Branding". And it does work. Certainly on a conscious level, no one would ever buy in any particular store because of a celeb endorsement. In fact, few advertisements ever work to drive a sale. Ads provide impressions. And those impressions, over time, build up and they actually do drive people to purchase, even though I wish it weren't so. Besides, most advertising isn't designed to get you to buy an item that you...
Mostly agreed. I bought a standalone CD-R some years ago that's capable of 96/24. I was very excited about both live recording and copying LPs in 96/24. Could not perceive any difference whatsoever. Furthermore, I make CD copies of old vinyl albums for broadcast use when the vinyl is not available on CD. In spite of all the vinyl lovers who hate digital audio, no one can ever tell the difference between the vinyl playing back and the CD copy of the vinyl playing...
Exactly. This, I think, has been one of Apple's flaws, especially when Steve got involved. His desire for a Zen aesthetic forced Apple to leave out details. This is my fear about the supposed upcoming Apple TV set. I'm sure it will be really simple to operate, but my bet is that you won't be able to get at any of the detailed controls to really refine the image. I'm not claiming it's easy but advanced users need both elegance and power. And in this...
Wage rates don't matter. What does matter is how many hours does someone have to work to afford a home or a refrigerator or food, etc. Brazil was very smart. They told Apple to either build the products there or face huge import taxes. So Apple had no choice. In the U.S., we let companies like Apple do whatever they want. I don't want to criticize Apple too much because they are expanding the number of employees in the U.S. and most of the jobs are...