or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

"Hey..wha?....the car isn't responding....utoh......oh geez.....SCREECH.........Crash!"   "You're driving it wrong".
  In some respects, yes, it will be more akin to a computer, but it also has to support cable/satellite and over-the-air broadcasting or almost no one will buy it.   If it doesn't have those traditional functions, then it's a monitor, not a TV.   Apple already makes monitors.     And while there's no more over-the-air analog broadcasting in the U.S., there still is in some other countries, so Apple may still have to support that, unless they make different models for each...
 I disagree.    A lot of what Apple is about is the brand and the image of the brand as hip, caring, innovative,  the company that "thinks different", etc.     Paying subpar wages to third world workers gets in the way of that image even if many of the complaints are not valid.    The history of U.S. labor has had many confrontations, union battles, violence, etc., but it never (to my knowledge) had workers threatening mass suicide.    One of the miracles of Apple is that...
I think it's great that Siri did this, whether "she" did this directly or through Wolfram - it demonstrates that Apple isn't manipulating the results in its favor.  
I don't think you'll see this kind of predicted growth in the U.S., but maybe in China and if markets open up in India.    I think his projections are based on a false assumption:  that people will upgrade every year.   I think after a while, especially if future improvements are incremental, tedium will set in and people will be more likely to upgrade every three or even four years than every year.  This will be especially true of the economic problems in Europe are not...
My AT&T cell phone bill, with "fees" and taxes is just under $1000 per year.    The lifetime value to a phone company of a single customer at that rate is over $30,000 per customer.     Why do you think they're so anxious to give away phones for family members if you get extra lines?   A family with three cell phones and three cell phone lines can easily have a lifetime value of $90,000.     How piggy does AT&T (or any phone company for that matter) have to be?   Yes,...
$5.5 million for scanning software seems a bit much.   Aside from the hardware cost, I don't see why this would have cost them more than a $ few hundred thousand, even working with a legit enterprise software developer.   I'm not one of these people who thinks Government can't do anything right, but it seems like every Government contractor is riding the sweet train to riches.    On the other hand, Amtrak rode 30.2 million passengers in 2011, so the total cost of...
I did not say that no one works for $35K except students and people in their first job out of school....that's obviously not the case since there are probably millions of workers earning minimum wage and in most states, minimum wage works out to under $16,000 a year.   What I said was that it's impossible to live decently on a salary lower than that.   According to data I found on the web, the median sale home price in Austin in 2010 was $195,000.    Let's say you manage...
In many parts of the country, yes.    In New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and I suspect, a number of other cities, about the least you're finding an apartment for is $1200 a month and in New York at least, even in the outer boroughs, that would be pretty tough to find.    That's $14,400 right there.    On $35K, in a locality with federal, state and local income taxes, you'll come home with about $28,000.      So now you have $13,600 left for all other...
  If the free market system worked, we wouldn't have companies paying minimum wage, which you absolutely cannot live on in most parts of the country.   Minimum wage puts you below the poverty level.   Just because jobs are scarce doesn't make paying sub-poverty wages ethical.      Real-wages for working-class people has not increased in 30 years.     The free market system does not work in this regard.   (It works well for employers, it just doesn't work very well for...