or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I hope that's sarcastic.   Any analysis of crime rates will clearly demonstrate that places with more guns leads to more crime, not less.      Or to idiots like George Zimmerman in Florida.    You can criticize gun restrictions in Europe, but every western European country has far lesser crime rates than just about any place in the U.S. 
  I think people, especially men, who are opposed to conservation and environmental efforts do so because of some kind of macho pride.    They think if they have to change their life one iota to correspond to someone else's idea of how to live that they're demonstrating some kind of weakness.    (So this is really about sex. )    Or they want to take the stand that the dangerous chemicals in the air can't affect them.   So they must find an excuse not to change.   They...
Yes, but even without a national law, their sales tax advantage is slowly disappearing.   Most states now consider affiliate sales to constitute tax nexus even when the consumer doesn't buy through the affiliate (which I disagree with, but the states are getting away with it).   In some states, Amazon has killed the affiliate programs.   In others, they've bitten the bullet and now charge sales tax.    In addition, there is no question or debate that Amazon HAS to charge...
  That's because the appliance section at BB looks like an afterthought.  They don't contain enough models and no one in the store knows the difference between them.   Music is used to get people into the store.    It's of the, "Hey honey, let's get that Adele CD."   "OK, and it would be really nice to get a new TV for the den."     I agree that BB probably doesn't sell a lot of music, partially because industry sales (including downloading) are half of what they were in...
That's not actually true.   Amazon has tremendous online sales of large TVs because they don't charge for shipping, they send people to set it up and they guarantee that if you don't like it, they'll switch it out.   TVs have such small margins, I think Amazon probably loses money on every sale, but they're going for market share.   The big photo/electronics retailer B&H also does a very large amount of online sales.    It surprises me that people are willing to buy large...
I think it's just the opposite.    A company like Apple, in an attempt to simplify the experience, HIDES what's behind the curtain and doesn't let you control what's been hidden.   That might be fine for most users, but not for those who are concerned with ultimate picture and audio quality.    I do think the user interfaces of virtually all home theatre receivers (and some TVs) is a disaster and Apple can probably use its expertise to make this a far better...
This is what Dolby Atmos is about.   In addition to standard mixing to a channel (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, Left Rear Surround, Right Rear Surround, Subwoofer), where a channel, especially the surround channels, may comprise multiple sets of speakers, Atmos permits mixing to an object model where the mixer places a sound object in space and the playback system determines the appropriate speaker to send the signal to, depending upon the...
  Continually?   I don't think so (although I'm not an accountant).    But I did have options.   The year I exercised the options (which meant selling the shares), I paid taxes on the gain, although I don't remember whether it was taxed as capital gains or ordinary income.      But those are shares that are already cashed out and he won't have to pay any additional taxes on them.    On shares that he already (and still) owns that he cashes out, he's only going to pay at...
  I don't think so.    Put your Mac on the table or your lap and raise your arm and emulate using the vertical (or close to vertical) screen as a touchpad.    I bet your arm is aching within 15 minutes.       It's fine for very occasional actions, but not for navigating all the time.    Keeping your arm in the there like that is very unnatural.   
While I agree that the PC manufactures are grasping at straws, I disagree that the global recession is very slight.   Just look at the unemployment numbers which are even worse in many European countries than they are in the United States.     But perhaps more important, look at the under-employed numbers - people who are either working fewer hours than they used to or for less pay.   As successful as Apple has been over the last five years or so and as much as their...