or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I'm no fan of either Texas politicians or government bureaucracy and inefficient decision making, but isn't it the other way around?  Isn't Apple the one doing the money grubbing?    Frankly, I think it should be illegal to offer any large business any financial incentives at all.   This way, all localities would be on an even playing field and companies would make the decisions to locate based on more appropriate reasons like access to qualified employees, land...
  I think you might be the one with a big ego.     While his technological expertise might not be relevant to today's Apple, he could most decidedly serve in a mentorship and a "rally the troops" mode.     He also might be one who could return parts of Apple to more of an entrepreneurial way of working as it evolves to the regiment of a giant business, which can kill creativity.        Love it.     I would disagree.   The problem with using known actors playing "real"...
    I agree.   When you become so isolated from "ordinary" people, you forget how ordinary people who are not tech freaks live their lives and use products.     And then you begin to make mistakes in product strategy, UI, etc.     It also strikes me as a bit paranoid.      The funny thing is that this strikes me more as something that Steve would have tried to implement.   There's nothing wrong with having "another" internal cafeteria, but the reason most companies have...
    Foxconn (Apple) is there for only one reason.    Brazil has giant import taxes on anything not produced there.   IMO, the Government was brilliant.   They, in essence, forced Apple/Foxconn to manufacture there.   If Apple were to give up manufacturing there, they'd be giving up on Brazil as a market because few could afford the product with the import taxes.       None of us know whether the employees' gripes are legit or not.    But I think this assumption that...
    I agree with you when it comes to general use by businesses for employees who use a multitude of applications both locally and on the network:   Microsoft Office plus whatever proprietary accounting or other apps a particular company uses.    No one is going to be very efficient trying to use those kinds of apps on an iPad.      But for employees who do one thing:   order takers, inventory, certain medical apps, etc., the iPad is a great device and many businesses are...
    No they should not stop making Macs.    Many of us still need to do real work using complex applications on a large monitor (or more than one monitor) and need to type efficiently on a real keyboard.     The iPad is an amazing device and is fantastic for people who mainly consume content.   But it does not replace the sophisticated use of a computer.      Macs and iPads are made on different production lines with different parts.  One does not impact the other.    ...
    Every time I see promotion for a new Windows OS, I think, "wow..that looks pretty good".    Then I get to use it and it's horrible.    I'm consulting for a company that uses Window 7 now (last time I was there, there were still on XP) and I thought I was going to like it, but so far, I kind of hate it.   I find the application icons to be ugly and confusing.    When I have multiple documents open for the same app, it's a pain to have to click on the icon and choose...
    Usage depends upon what your job actually is.   If all you do with a computer is check email, surf the web, write small Word documents and simple spreadsheets, than a 13" might be good enough and a 15" is more than good enough.   In fact, for those people, a Pad might be good enough, especially if you get the external keyboard.     What I think we're starting to see when people talk about the post-PC era, is really a split between people who consume content and those...
never mind...it didn't quote
I don't think that a lot of U.S. film editing jobs are going to move overseas. The reason is that on any given feature, there are a small number of editors working and with the advent of computer-based editing systems, one editor can do the work of what used to take four. Also, on most major productions, the editor works very closely with the director. It might make sense to shoot a film in India, because of far-lower costs for the entire large crew, but the...