or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Wait a minute...Icahn announces publicly that he has a large position and that he's advised Apple to buy back more stock? Isn't that a manipulation of the market? Based on that announcement (and probably Foxconn's announcement of increased profits), Apple stock is up $20 today. How much did Icahn make in one day based upon his announcement?
  When Jobs rejoined Apple, while he immediately took actions like simplifying the product line and eventually coming out with the iMac, it took years for the finances and stock price of the company to recover.   Coincident with Jobs' leaving Apple shortly before he died, Apple was coming off a strong product development cycle with the iPhone and the iPad.   Had there been other products in the works back then, we'd be seeing them now.   So I think even if Jobs was still...
  You missed your own point.    That was Apple "at that point in history", which happened to be when it was in deep financial trouble and with an incredibly tiny share of the market.   Apple today is most certainly not "still a small start-up".      And the fact that many workers are spread around Cupertino is irrelevant since most are at headquarters and those who are spread around are most likely "back room" workers:  accounting, systems, etc.   If anything, if Apple...
One can say that Newton wasn't dropped -- it came back to us as an iPhone.    
While I disagree with what the DOJ is doing, I believe that the impacts you list above are incorrect.     Authors are generally paid royalties based on the list price of a book, not the selling price.    And since no one but the very top tier of authors ever earns out their advance, what they're paid on is almost moot anyway.  The publishers can set any wholesale price for a book they want - it's just that Amazon discounts it frequently below that wholesale price.     So...
One of the things that's so ridiculous about this is that about five years ago, the Supreme Court ruled that manufacturers could set minimum selling prices, not just minimum advertised prices as had been the case before the ruling.     If manufacturers can set minimum selling prices, why can't publishers?    Nikon and Sony, among others, are using that ruling to force retailers to not discount their products, especially at the high end of their lines.     Not that I...
  Just as some people replace their iPhones (or whatever) whenever Apple comes out with a new model, many people replace their DLSRs when a replacement model is issued.   Certainly not everybody, but if you check the photo forums, many people do.    Back in the film days, there weren't so many reasons to do so, because it was the lens that made the biggest difference to any picture.  Any camera could make an accurate exposure based on manual settings.   Better cameras...
You are wrong.  RAW means a native file format that is uncompressed or close to uncompressed.   Different manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, etc.) have developed their own RAW formats.    Most DSLRs will shoot in a raw format, but many (not all) point-and-shoot cameras can't.   Virtually all of these also output to the JPG compressed standard and that's what Apple does as well.     Whether the image is enhanced or not has nothing to do with it.    
  I think you'll find that "talking to another person on a phone" usage of smartphones is not the primary use.   It still may have been when the iPhone was introduced, but not anymore.   Texting, Tweeting Facebook, Photos, Web Surfing, Apps, etc. (in no particular order) are all used more than the phone itself.    And with the zillions of photos taken each day, photo quality is important.   I don't think  you'd be making the statement you made if it had been Apple that...
  You're correct and that's the problem with such a campaign.   It's a tough call for Apple.     The part I don't understand is why is anyone using a 3rd party adapter (unless they purchased a 2nd or 3rd adapter for use in other locations, like work)?   Doesn't Apple supply one legit adapter with each device all over the world?   I bet these cheap adapters weren't even purchased at retail: I bet they were purchased from street vendors.