or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Remember that when Jobs returned to Apple, his first big success was the iMac, which was actually pretty traditional, but had a very interesting and fun design (which actually looks pretty clunky in retrospect). The primary reason for Apple's success beginning with the iPod was the introduction of the ecosystem. I think there is a way for HP to be successful in printing: while it's true that people are printing less and less, it's primarily because printing is a pain. ...
I agree that from a practical standpoint, it's proper for Austin to pay the $8.6 million. But it was obnoxious for Apple or any company to ask for it and I personally think that any direct payments or tax breaks to a corporation of this kind should be illegal. It's one thing to ask for infrastructure improvements - if for example, the new Apple facility required expansion of a road or a new or improved exit off of the highway or additional bus service or something of...
Apple has changed expectations so radically, people don't realize what an accomplishment even a few hundred thousand units would have been. I've posted this before, but this is the amount of time for each of these technologies to reach just 1 million sales units, according to Greystone Communications, Yankee Group (except for the iPad count, which came from other sources): Original iPad: 28 days DVD: 21 months Satellite Radio: 23 months CD Players: 28 months MP3 Players:...
And I got burned by selling some of my Apple about a year ago at the advice of my broker who said, "Take some profits!" I should have kept it (obviously). And while I agree that diversity is the best strategy for any portfolio (I'm so paranoid, I also keep lots in cash, which keeps me from stroking out when the market drops), if I had invested my entire portfolio in Apple when I first bought the stock some years ago, I'd probably be worth $10 million now.
If it's not moderated and de-duplicated, I feel these kinds of efforts are usually well-intentioned, but a waste. No one wants to wade through hundreds of answers, many of which are useless or wrong. How many times have we seen responses like, "Well, I'm not sure, but....." Why do these idiots bother responding?
Don't know how young your son is, but if he's still in elementary school (or less), you'd be benefitting his education more by keeping him off of computer devices for a while. Kids need to put pen to paper and learn to have the patience to read linear, non-interactive material. Give them highly interactive audio/video at too young an age and they'll have lots of problems acquiring reading skills. And if Apple did have education pricing (don't they already have...
There's not going to be a stock buyback at $580. Maybe if the stock dropped below $500. And I have a feeling there's not even going to be a dividend even though a dividend would probably raise the share price. I bet we're going to get the "we want to hold the cash for a large acquisition" line. Maybe we'll get a split, but that's actually pretty meaningless for most situations.
So I guess you don't understand the difference between the news pages and the opinion pages. The Daisey piece was an Op-Ed piece. Personal opinion...not news...and frequently meant to be funny or sarcastic (although not in this case.) The fact is that if you read 95% of the NYT news articles without knowing it was the New York Times, you would not be able to tell whether it came from a so-called liberal or conservative newspaper. As just one small example, they ran...
What a dumb question! So he can complain about it, say Apple sucks and feel superior.
I disagree. If Daisey did a show about the "Pear" computer company, whose contractors treated their employees badly and he made the situation worse than the reality in order to make a point (as most media does), that's fair game. When a stand-up comic exaggerates issues in order to make a point (or in order to make it funnier), that's fair game too, so if a comic does a riff on Steve Jobs or on what they perceive as a typical Apple fanboy, etc., that's fair game even...