or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

A few things: - contrary to popular hype, sellers such as Amazon do not get better pricing because of what they buy overall - they can only get better pricing based upon the number of copies of a single title placed in a single order. There was a lawsuit against the publishers about 10-15 years ago by independent booksellers objecting to discounts given to the chains and the independent booksellers won. But how this applies to ebook (non-agency model), I'm not sure,...
Actually, there's a bigger differential than that. There are Dell laptops for $400 and those are catalog sales to a single user. There are probably deeper discounts for bulk buying for institutions. If you're using a computer primarily for web browsing and maybe some Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents, that's "good enough" and far less expensive than going Mac in terms of capital costs. Face it: you're a school administrator and you've been given $1 million. ...
The fact remains that in a corporate environment, they can buy PCs for $400-$500 with a monitor. And for most employees, who use nothing but email, Word, Excel and Powerpoint, it actually works fine. The Mac might be capable of so much more, but except in design departments, they wouldn't get much use anyway. And as apps move to the cloud, I think this will actually hurt Apple in the long run because there's less differentiation in browser-based software. One can...
I don't think so. My bet is that the iPhone5, even if not a major update, won't run on anything less than the new OS. So the new iOS has to get released first or simultaneously with the phone. And aside from geek and rumor sites, a new OS doesn't get headlines anyway in the general press.
Actually, for most products, the retail cost has little to do with the manufacturing cost or even the R&D and overhead costs. What we're really paying for are the marketing costs. That's why we pay $25 for a cotton t-shirt manufactured in India.
Don't have to. Patents (and copyrights) were originally issued for 25 years.
Well, I was one who thought this was b.s., because that is not good space for a retail store: the balconies are relatively narrow and the side facing the main terminal is open and Apple will not be permitted to put walls up there, so I have to admit to being surprised (and wrong again). There will be no rows of parsons tables in this location - Apple will have to come up with a new design. But that $800K a year is incredibly low rent for NYC: it's only $34.78/sq...
I would disagree. Apple gets sued all the time over general concepts and business processes that should not be patentable (IMO). Take this lawsuit. I don't think anyone should be able to get a patent for the idea of copying a playlist from one device to another. If they had some special technical method or unique file format for copying the playlist, then that might be patentable. But what is a playlist? It's nothing but data. Why is it different than...
Not buying it. If CS4 worked yesterday with the older OS, it should work today with the newer OS. This isn't like the transition from PowerPC to Intel. It isn't like Adobe is some tiny software company working out of a garage. I couldn't care less about Apple and Adobe's CEOs squabbling like the immature egotists that they are. Photoshop, Illustrator, et al are major software applications and Apple should have worked out the details with Adobe before releasing...
Up in the balcony at the top of the east steps where the Metrazur restaurant was located until a few weeks ago. The Michael Jordan restaurant still occupies the other half of the balcony. But as I posted, I still don't believe it.