or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I think it's just the opposite.    A company like Apple, in an attempt to simplify the experience, HIDES what's behind the curtain and doesn't let you control what's been hidden.   That might be fine for most users, but not for those who are concerned with ultimate picture and audio quality.    I do think the user interfaces of virtually all home theatre receivers (and some TVs) is a disaster and Apple can probably use its expertise to make this a far better...
This is what Dolby Atmos is about.   In addition to standard mixing to a channel (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, Left Rear Surround, Right Rear Surround, Subwoofer), where a channel, especially the surround channels, may comprise multiple sets of speakers, Atmos permits mixing to an object model where the mixer places a sound object in space and the playback system determines the appropriate speaker to send the signal to, depending upon the...
  Continually?   I don't think so (although I'm not an accountant).    But I did have options.   The year I exercised the options (which meant selling the shares), I paid taxes on the gain, although I don't remember whether it was taxed as capital gains or ordinary income.      But those are shares that are already cashed out and he won't have to pay any additional taxes on them.    On shares that he already (and still) owns that he cashes out, he's only going to pay at...
  I don't think so.    Put your Mac on the table or your lap and raise your arm and emulate using the vertical (or close to vertical) screen as a touchpad.    I bet your arm is aching within 15 minutes.       It's fine for very occasional actions, but not for navigating all the time.    Keeping your arm in the there like that is very unnatural.   
While I agree that the PC manufactures are grasping at straws, I disagree that the global recession is very slight.   Just look at the unemployment numbers which are even worse in many European countries than they are in the United States.     But perhaps more important, look at the under-employed numbers - people who are either working fewer hours than they used to or for less pay.   As successful as Apple has been over the last five years or so and as much as their...
Completely disagree.   Any company has an ethical obligation not to exploit workers.   Just because there's an excess of workers doesn't make it right for a company to pay less than what it costs to live.    In a bad economy, the fact that they're able to get workers has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether the pay is not unreasonably low.     And I do think it's obligatory if a company wants to act ethically, especially a company that sells luxury products and makes...
If you're a student or part-time worker, maybe.    But you can't live on it in any decent place in the United States.   Can  you live on $18,000 a year?   That's rent or mortgage for most people.   People deserve to make a living wage.   The minimum wage is $7.25 in most states.   In real dollar terms, using the Feds' inflation calculator (which is way understated), minimum wage is almost 34% below where it was in 1970.  Based on 1970, the minimum wage should be close to...
Sorry..I agree with the judge.  I love Apple, but they had no business labeling a product as being 4G capable when it wasn't.    Apple's arrogance sometimes gets the better of them.   Cases like this will tap the brakes a little - make them think a little harder before doing another marketing campaign or product labeling like that.    There are plenty of people who think they shouldn't be pushing Siri the way that they are in U.S. TV ads because Siri really doesn't...
They're not hypothetical at all.   You only want to invest so much when you buy the machine.   You think you're buying enough RAM and enough storage space. Then a new version of Illustrator or Photoshop comes along that requires more RAM.   You're screwed.    You have to buy a new machine.      I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro.   Late in 2011, the battery finally wouldn't take much of  charge anymore so I replaced it.  I just ordered a new one, opened the back cover and...
The "no expectation of privacy in a public place" does not extend to private backyards and the like.     I have no problem with Apple and others photographing public streets.  I don't even think they should have to blur our faces when we're on a public street.    I have no problem with them photographing anything that can easily be seen from the street at any resolution.    But I agree that there's a privacy issue when backyards and the like are included and in some...