or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

What are you talking about?    There is no official retirement age in the U.S. except for Social Security purposes.    And you can start collecting SS at 62 if you want to - you just get less money.   Private companies who have retirement plans (and not all do) can set "retirement" age at any age they want.   However with most plans, you can always collect earlier, you just get less per month as per actuary tables, etc.   And for the record, when Social Security was first...
    I think getting fired and having the experiences of both Next and Pixar made Steve Jobs a far better executive.     It caused him, at least to some extent, to listen to others more and it also taught him how to delegate. And while I don't think anyone would call Jobs humble, I think both getting fired and the commercial failure at Next did humble him just a bit.     While there is no doubt that Jobs was a genius, I'm not sure he would have been so successful upon his...
  An iPad was not meant to replace a MacBook Pro - what makes you think it ever would?    The only possible exception is for people who only consume content, rather than create it.    The iPad is great as an e-book reader, browsing the web, Facebook, Tweeting, simple photography processing, watching videos, email if you only write back short responses, playing simple games, etc.    It's not for people who are writing novels, creating complex spreadsheets, working on...
I agree.   Also, how does removing whatever entertainment system you currently have give you 40% more passenger room?     A typical Boeing 777 holds 300 passengers.    Now it holds 420 because they're using iPads?   That makes no sense.      Besides, if they added another 120 passengers at 150 pounds each, that's adding another 9 tons, so they're definitely not saving any fuel.      It's nice that they're using iPads and I hope it does provide some environmental or...
We're talking about Apple because this is an Apple forum and because Cook brought up the issue.        In an ethical world, you build products in many regions around the world so that they're built close to the markets they serve.     You do that because it's better for the environment (less shipping) and because the societies of people who purchase the products should also have the benefit of the jobs that create the products.  No one is saying that every unit of every...
I agree.   You don't download customized software, you download finished software.   But even if it did compile a customized version of the software, so what?   Those are called options.   Can you now patent the idea of options and menus?   Are they going to sue restaurants because you can go online and choose which items on the menu you want and they put those together to order in a customized fashion ("no salt, with ketchup, burger medium rare") and send it to...
Really???   You want to pay workers LESS than minimum wage?   Minimum wage practically puts you at the poverty line (assuming you're a family of one.  If there's more people, you're below it).     Do you really think it's ethical for highly profitable companies like Apple who sell luxury products to pay even the minimum wage?    Where do you think workers who earn the minimum wage are going to live - in tents near the factories in which they work?    You cannot live on a...
Top-of-the line sets: Sony HX929 55" currently goes for $3500 (although it has sold for as low as $2400).   Panasonic VT50 55" (Plasma) currently goes for $2500. Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD 60" (they don't make them any smaller) goes for about $4900. Samsung "Smart TV" LED 8000 series in 55" goes for $3750.   LED 7550 and 7500 series in 55" goes for $3380.   And prices are expected to rise 10% next year as all the big TV manufacturers are losing tons of money.  Sony might get...
Current HDMI spec is 1.4, not 1.3.       The Harmony (and all the other "universal") remotes are a pain to program.     Go to any online site and there are pages and pages devoted to postings from people who have trouble getting it to do what they want.   I don't want to turn programming a remote into a hobby.        Apple's solution has to be far better and might be nothing more than and an iOS program + an accessory IR transmitter that is included with the TV.  The...
If it's still in Beta, then it shouldn't be the primary marketing thrust of the iPhone.    So saying it's "beta" is just an excuse, especially when you haven't announced when it's expected to come out of Beta.   I think it's reasonable to expect that at the very least, Siri will accomplish what Apple demonstrates it's doing in the spots (aside from the "compressed time" disclaimer).      If it doesn't, I'm surprised the FTC hasn't gotten involved.    The FTC used to send...