or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Exactly. This, I think, has been one of Apple's flaws, especially when Steve got involved. His desire for a Zen aesthetic forced Apple to leave out details. This is my fear about the supposed upcoming Apple TV set. I'm sure it will be really simple to operate, but my bet is that you won't be able to get at any of the detailed controls to really refine the image. I'm not claiming it's easy but advanced users need both elegance and power. And in this...
Wage rates don't matter. What does matter is how many hours does someone have to work to afford a home or a refrigerator or food, etc. Brazil was very smart. They told Apple to either build the products there or face huge import taxes. So Apple had no choice. In the U.S., we let companies like Apple do whatever they want. I don't want to criticize Apple too much because they are expanding the number of employees in the U.S. and most of the jobs are...
That's absolute B.S. Let's say there are no unions and all a company has to pay is federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and offer absolutely no benefits. Let's say the employees have a mandatory one-hour lunch which they don't get paid for, 10 holidays which they don't get paid for and 2-weeks off which they don't get pair for. That still works out to $12,180 per year (which no one can live on in the U.S. anyway. In most places, housing costs alone would eat all...
The drive, determination and focus that geniuses have almost always results in other character defaults. If you look at Picasso, Einstein or John Lennon, as just three examples, they contributed greatly to the world, but they frequently treated other people like crap which may, at least in part, be due to impatience with us "mere mortals". Those who tend to lead more balanced lives tend not to be the people who change the world. Even Ghandi and Martin Luther King...
Of course it does. Apple achieves high margins by lowering the cost of manufacturing and forcing their manufacturers to accept impossibly low margins. (Walmart frequently does the same.) That forces the manufacturers to obtain the lowest-priced labor pool they can possible obtain and that forces the workers into poor conditions. It's very easy for Apple or any other such company to say, "well, they're not our workers and the manufacturer accepted the contract,"...
Yes because when any publication reports a story that doesn't fit your way of thinking or is "inconvenient", it's best to put your head in the sand rather than dealing with the fact that the company we love so much isn't always 100% ethical. If just 25% of what the Times reported reflects reality, I think that's a big problem for Apple. While I realize that those employees are not strictly Apple's employees, I believe that since Apple consumes so much of the labor...
And all the universal remotes out there that I've seen completely suck whether they are devices or apps. The tookits to customize the UI or the programming to read buttons from other remotes are incredibly obtuse and require far too much work or they have technical issues or you have to purchase too many separate additional IR boxes. Just go the tech forums where people discuss remotes and read the posts about the technical issues people have and the posts from...
Totally wrong. Business leaders make lousy politicans. There's this myth that Government should be run like a business but only a dictatorship can be run like a business. And the reason why is that in our political system, everything is a compromise and execs like Steve don't compromise. A business executive dictates from the top. The President's ability to do that is very limited to the edicts he can execute via executive order. Everything else has to go through...
No...I don't think that's correct. I think you get to deduct the taxes that you paid overseas when you bring the money home. Any tax experts here?
I feel the same way, but the Mac is still becoming a tiny portion of the overall business, which scares me. How much investment will Apple continue to make in the Mac when all the action is on the iPhone and iPad side of the business? One example of that is that we haven't heard a thing about the next major upgrade of the Mac OS, have we?