or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Up in the balcony at the top of the east steps where the Metrazur restaurant was located until a few weeks ago. The Michael Jordan restaurant still occupies the other half of the balcony. But as I posted, I still don't believe it.
Grand Central Terminal has had squash tournaments, but in Vanderbilt Hall, obviously not in the main terminal hall.
I totally agree. But in spite of the fact that they're pushing iPads, iPods and iPhones into every retail environment possible, they're helping to kill retail by taking software away from them. I don't mind the presence of the app store, but especially for large apps, I would still like the option of buying a CD at retail, even if its only 3rd party retail. It also raises my cost because many third parties slightly discount Apple software, which they'll no longer...
I still don't quite believe it. That space does not lend itself to retail. It's on the balcony and very narrow - I doubt whether it's more than 20 to 25' deep. As the interior of GCT is landmarked, Apple cannot put up any interior walls. And there wouldn't be any "back of the store" space. I simply don't see how this space can work for Apple. And I think there would be objections from those who see a restaurant as "public space" but wouldn't see an Apple...
Yes, but that's as much due to the weak dollar as VAT and import duties.
While I disagree with the notion that removing optical drives from Mac computers is a good thing, I also disagree that DVD is the future for home entertainment systems. If you have an HDTV and you want the highest quality video, you want Blu-ray, so you're going to be dealing with an external device anyway (since Apple refuses to support Blu-ray). If you're not going to use Blu-ray as a source, you might as well download.
Isn't the difference in clarity related to the fact that most PCs still use RGB analog video output and Apple uses digital output (which it has used for years)?
What's going to doom us is not the continued decline in U.S. manufacturing. What is more likely to doom us is that we're willing to reduce teacher salaries and to lay-off teachers as if educating our kids is a luxury that we can't afford. Apple is not going to manufacture in the United States because it would probably double or triple the price of the products. I believe that the average Chinese manufacturing worker makes about $130 per month. The Federal minimum...
I know that Apple has done that in the past, but I thought that was more of an "emergency" thing. It has to be insanely costly to ship those products by air freight, perhaps even $15-$20 per unit, no?
They're just getting suppliers now for a phone that's supposed to launch in ten weeks? Maybe I'm naive about the incredible pace that devices get designed and manufactured these days, but that seems ridiculous, especially if you need to build-in any time at all for testing (and at least a week for shipping - I assume that most of these devices are still shipped to the U.S. by boat).