or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

It's one thing for Ballmer to talk about installations of Windows vs. installations of Mac OS, but he should not be bragging about sales of Windows PCs, because Microsoft doesn't market any PCs. And Apple doesn't market the OS outside of their own computers. So it's two completely different approaches to the market. Furthermore, I believe you have to look at either company as a whole. If you include the iOS, which is after all, an offshoot of the MacOS, how close does...
The difference is that with MP3 players, phones and tablets, Apple was able to control the eco-system. That's what made those products so successful. With an Apple TV, they can't control the eco-system because they're dependent upon the set-top box makers and the cable/satellite companies. Unless Apple is going to buy out Time-Warner, Comcast, Verizon FIOS and all the other big players, I don't see how they can have big impact, unless they're planning to make huge...
Several issues: 1. Everyone is under the assumption that Apple can fix the UI of TVs. But while the AppleTV interface is simple, I actually don't think it's all that good. And it's a lot different dealing with a list of recorded movies or songs than it is dealing with the contents of 600 to 1200 TV channels, music and VOD services. 2. If Apple did redesign the UI, do you really think they'd "play nice" with Pandora, Netflix, Amazon and all the other services...
That's what I thought. Only I thought they did it remotely. Because people go on there and text, IM, download mail, take their own pictures, type documents, etc. And while I can understand that Apple probably doesn't want anyone to download and/or install software on the demo computers, I've never seen a sign specifically stating that you can't. Furthermore, the stores that I've been in do have a batch of point and shoot cameras on display that are hooked up to...
Edison didn't patent the IDEA of the light bulb, he patented a specific implementation of a light bulb using a vacuum, tungsten, glass, etc. Michelin didn't invent the IDEA of a tire ("a round device that's firm but also somewhat squishy that fits over a hub to give a transportation device a smoother ride"), they implemented and built a specific tire design and (although I don't remember if the following is accurate) invented the process of vulcanization. These patent...
I think the HDMI organization is being self-destructive. If they don't permit the cable, it will result in fewer consumers using HDMI, not more. Apple users will simply wind up buying future versions of Apple monitors which include the mini Display port instead of buying 3rd party monitors that have an HDMI port. And presumably, that would also reduce their licensing revenue. Seems to me they should just bite the bullet and test and license the cables. It...
I agree with you. There was an article in the NYTimes this week about set-top cable boxes. Apparently, they consume tons of energy even when they're shut off in order to retain channel and programming information. The manufacturers claim no one ever asked them to make more energy efficient boxes. Most people don't have their flat-screen TVs professionally calibrated and they leave them in store-demo "blast" mode, with the brightness and contrast turned way up. ...
I think your comments are ridiculous. The reason why a 5th generation device doesn't have 6th generation technology is because software (and related hardware) is never finished - you just take it away from the developers. So the advancements that don't make one device version go into the next version. There's no conspiracy. Furthermore, your assumption is based upon the premise that a purchaser of a 5th generation device must purchase the 6th generation device, but...
We've become an anti-intellectual and anti-knowledge society. We don't like any facts to get in the way of our opinions and biases. That's why the Fox News Network is so popular. And why there's such support for eroding teacher salaries. We consider people who do well academically to be "nerds" and we treat them with disdain unless they also happen to be rich, in which case we excuse their intelligence. Instead, we worship 15-minute celebrities, most of who...
I would strongly disagree with you. I think there is tons of evidence that conservative Republicans, supported by the Fox Network, are pushing more and more towards a society in which only middle class and lower class wage-earners pay taxes. The FACT (in spite of the hype) is that tax rates on the rich are the lowest they've been in over 40 years. During the Nixon administration (2nd term), the highest marginal rate was about 70%. During the Reagan administration,...