or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

The day they launch a desktop mouseless OS is the day I will never buy an Apple computer again.   The trackpad is great, but it doesn't replace the mouse when you want to work efficiently for people who do real work.   I don't care whether Apple supplies the mouse as long as it still works.     Apple has to get over its arrogance and realize that different people work in different ways and what's best for one person is not necessariy what's best for another.    They need...
  Sorry, there's absolutely no indication that Cook is blaming anything on Jobs.   And people at Apple seem to stick around in spite of the fact that they already have more money than they will need for the rest of their lives.       However, the fact that they are so generous with their senior executives (according to AI, Browett had $60 million in stock options, although most didn't vest yet) is part of the problem.   Although they probably feel they need it to attract...
I'm actually positive about these changes. It means that Apple/Cook is not going to stand by when the market or they themselves recognize that mistakes have been made. My only concern is giving Ive too much responsibility where he could be spread too thin. Also, the issue with Maps was more of a development issue than a UI issue and since dumping Google Maps was largely driven by politics (although also by the fact that Apple wanted turn-by-turn), the Maps fiasco...
The expectations placed on Apple are completely absurd.   Most mass-market consumer oriented companies have margins in the 10% range.    Furthermore, Apple releases a projection, they beat it, but because some analyst projected even higher, the stock falls.     Then I hear some idiot on TV complaining that Apple hasn't come up with another completely new game-changing product line as yet as if this is something that all companies do every day instead of once in a...
That's just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.    It doesn't matter whether you're using a phone app, a Pad app or a computer app.   It doesn't matter what OS you're using or what brand of hardware you're using.    Good design and poor design can result regardless.    Just because I'm using OS X or Windows doesn't mean I'm going to design any better than if I'm using a Pad.    When people use too many fonts in a design or when the design is poor, I call the...
Really??   Because a few days before Obama took office, the Dow was at 8776 and today, even with big declines this week, it's at 13,103.     So I think Wall Street cries "wolf" when they talk about Obama.   They just hate him because they think he's going to tax their riches slightly more - back to Clinton levels. 
So kids are the entire market for this computer?   On what basis are you claiming that optical media is less common today than floppies when the iMac was released?   I don't have the numbers in front of me, but IIRC, DVD movies alone are still a $4 billion business in the U.S.    Blu-ray is another $1 billion.   As per my above post, there are three very valid uses of optical media in a computer: 1.  Watching DVDs (or Blu-rays, but god forbid Apple should support...
  I totally agree.    What's the difference how thin it is when it sits on top of a desk?  As long as it's thinner than the stand, that's all it needs to be.  Removing the drive is just Apple being obnoxious and forcing us to use iTunes.   But people still want to watch DVDs or move large files around via CD-R or DVD-R and still want the ability to download tunes from a music CD.     It might be old technology, but it's still extremely practical and Apple seems to be on a...
Obama is still going to win, but it will be by a much smaller margin than I originally thought.    Mitt wins more states, but he tends to win in the smaller states.      The only states still in question are Florida (29 electoral votes), Ohio (18), Virginia (13), Colorado (9) and Iowa (6).   I'm giving Florida to Romney.   Without the other four states, Obama has 257. If he wins Ohio, he wins (with 275) If he wins Virginia, he wins (with 270) If he wins...
  Hmm...I almost hope Apple is subject to anti-trust, not because it's become so large or dominates its markets, but because the actions that force you into the Apple eco-system are sometimes anti-competitive.    But if they have to make some compromises (like not pulling the CD/DVD drive out of every model) or making their computers with user replaceable parts like batteries, memory and drives, so that you can add a third-party's replacement parts like you used to be...