or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I read somewhere that Steve Jobs felt the reason why Apple could best Sony is that Apple divisions didn't have to compete against each other because there was only one P&L. At Sony, the movie division doesn't want to "give" their content to the hardware division unless the hardware division not only pays for it, but is willing to pay more than other parties. (I've experienced the same thing in large companies I've worked for - in one, we had to buy physical products...
The biggest problem with FMP isn't the software itself, it's that it's easy enough so that people who know nothing about proper database structures and conventions can use it. They wind up creating databases that look like "ransom notes".
I agree that the ad has problems and I've posted about that before, but I completely disagree that Steve wouldn't have approved it. IMO, that's exactly the kind of ad he would have approved. He would have thought a voiceover was not "aesthetic". The Titanic is beginning to sink??? With Apple's sales and stock price??? It's more like The Titanic lifted itself out of the water and began to fly at Mach3. In a still-bad economy, the stock price has doubled in a...
Because in a Pro portable device, I don't want something external that could be internal. And I still use the optical drive to receive files that are too big to email from other people and to transfer files from a non-networkable standalone CD-R drive. And I also burn music for people. As cheap as USB hard drive keys are, they're not as cheap as a blank CD-R. In addition, some people still prefer DVDs (and Blu-rays for that matter) to streaming and downloadable...
I've worked in retail when I was in college and the only time I found it stressful is when we weren't busy. When we were busy, it was great! Who doesn't want to make sales? Besides, in Apple stores, MOST visitors are busy on computers checking email and fooling around. They're not looking for staff assistance. And when they do, I don't understand what's stressful about helping them out, except possibly in the cases where some arrogant bastard is screaming at...
You could never do that in a public school system. They can't even require the kids to buy a pencil anymore. I attended a public technical high school and aside from tons of drafting supplies, we had to buy a "handbook" which had everything from the school's course offerings to vocabulary lists. No more - the schools aren't permitted to force the students to buy anything. I don't know what public schools do today in terms of lost or damaged textbooks. If a...
Textbooks aren't expensive because of the printing cost. Textbooks are expensive because of the writing, editorial, marketing and rights clearance (photos, etc.) costs. None of those costs go away for eTexts. In fact, producing eTexts can be more expensive because now you've got to have trained people who can add layers of interactivity and the nature of the medium demands more art, photos, videos, animations and mini-apps within the textbook. Someone's going...
Fine. So those people don't understand the ads. They get the product home and it doesn't work to expectations. No problem...return the phone and get your money back. If Apple refused to take it back, then I would support the lawsuit. But they do take it back. So IMO, these types of absurd lawsuits should be thrown out of court and the court should decide if the case was abusive. If it's found to be abusive, the person suing should have to pay costs.When a...
Yes, they do. So did the workers who lined up to work at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in New York in 1911, 146 of whom died in a fire when they were locked in. So did the coal miners who worked at the Upper Big Branch Mine in West Virginia. 29 of them died in April of 2010 . People who are desperate will take any jobs offered, even dangerous jobs. That doesn't make it right. I agree that we should not necessarily apply current American labor standards to...
If Apple was giving Foxconn a tiny bit of business that was equivalent to the business that other companies were giving it, I might agree with you. But in this case, where certainly tens of thousands, and perhaps hundreds of thousands of Foxconn employees are there because of Apple, Apple has to bare some responsibility. I don't think Apple and companies like it should be able to hide behind "outsourcing". Taken to an extreme conclusion, if Apple bares no...