or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

1.  In the very distant future, maybe, but in the immediate distant future, no, because every Blu-ray drive can read both DVDs and CDs and the next generation of 4k or 8k video formats will also still maintain compatibility with DVD and CD.    And long before CDs are resigned to the trash heap of media history, you'll be able to copy them faster and with even more ease than you can already do today.        2.  B.S.    I have CDs that are from the beginning of the...
That's what I've always done.  Usually higher audio quality, gives me a backup to restore from if I have a big hard disk failure, it CAN be passed on to my kids and at least for catalog product, is usually far less expensive with many classic albums going for as little as $3.50.   And that's aside from getting decent liner notes and in some cases, really nice packaging.    However, with Apple eliminating DVD/CD drives from their computers, it puts a little dent in this...
  Not if that's the only "improvement" in the device.     That will be perceived as a big let-down.     People screamed over the 4s because it had so few differences over the 4.   Imagine when the only thing that changes is the connector, which would actually be a pain for people who have accessories with the 30 pin connector.     The change might help Apple's need to be "zen", but how does it help the consumer?    The answer is that it doesn't.     If that's the only...
  The difference is that people buy a very expensive watch and keep it for decades - it's essentially jewelry.    They buy a phone and keep it for two years, if that.      So it's not necessary to have dials that last forever in a phone.     And Apple, being the mass market producer that it now is, builds the phone for the lowest cost possible.     Those high-end watch manufacturers probably don't care all that much about the manufacturing cost because what you're really...
  If you worked in a factory, would you accept "strip searches" every day?   Would you walk through an x-ray machine every single day and face that risky exposure?     And you say the wages are pretty good - would you work for such a wage?   Furthermore, you don't know if the leaks are coming from Foxconn.   It could be coming from one of the many suppliers who supply finished parts to Foxconn.  My understanding is that no actual manufacturing takes place at Foxconn -...
  In years past, that had always been my experience with Apple, but I thought that as they became a much bigger company, they were actually avoiding that kind of service and simply "playing by the book".   I may have told these stories before, but some years ago, my daughter had her laptop and a baby on her lap and the baby pulled the screen back and broke the hinges.   The screen still worked, but had to be supported.   Apple said it wasn't worth fixing - would cost well...
  Except when there's predatory pricing, which is selling at a loss to gain market share.    And that's exactly what Amazon does - they sell at a loss to gain market share and push the competitors out.  And then down the road, they will increase prices.   The other problem with the DOJ suit is that a few  years back, the Supreme Court ruled that manufacturers could enforce minimum selling prices, not just minimum advertised prices.    Maybe that ruling only applied to...
  Sounds like an Apple apologist.    Go to the Apple complaint boards.  There are thousands of complaints on these issues.    I've been using Macs since the very first one in 1984.    Aside from an OS upgrade some years ago where almost everything stopped working (that turned out to be a bad font, even though the OS had no problems with the font before the upgrade), I've never had to call Apple about anything before now -- every other OS upgrade has gone perfectly.   ...
  Computer partially freezes up but when it does so, WiFi doesn't work.  The icon at the top only has one randomly "lit" bar (that bar in black, the other bars in grey).    I usually don't even notice it's happened until Entourage goes out to get mail and I hear a whole bunch of error sounds.  Then I look up and see that there's no WiFi.   At this point, one app is usually not responding.  I force-quit that app, but then another app goes into "not responding" mode when it...
  You sure like to kiss Apple's butt, don't you?     You've got to me kidding me.     Battery life is most certainly an issue.  Enough so that Apple called me personally about it (really!).   And my Mac is still freezing up about every other day which it never did before installing Mountain Lion.   I was extremely disappointed in the QC by Apple in this OS release.    Made me lose a bit of faith and have concerns that Apple has become too big a company and isn't paying...