or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

In spite of not selling well, Apple needs to maintain the MacPro line. Every manufacturer has top-of-the-line products that sell to niche markets (usually because they're so expensive) that represent the state of the art and serve a marketing purpose because the market perception is that all the products carry the quality of the top-of-the-line products. Camera makers do this all the time. Nikon and Canon don't sell all that much of their high-end $8000 bodies...
You don't think there's difference between a Ford and a Toyota? The engines are different, the bodies are different, the finish is different, the performance is different, their reliability is different, etc. And Ford would sue Chevy if Chevy copied Ford's exact motor design bit by bit. The reason why blue jeans makers don't sue each other is because you can't patent or copyright fashion. The only part of fashion that can be protected are logos and things like...
In only the broadest terms. The fact is that there are certain stores that any given single person is never going to walk into. I, for example, am never going to walk into 99% of the stores in any given shopping mall under any circumstances. The other issue is that when you have a destination store like Apple, if someone buys something there, there is a good chance that Apple has taken all the money that they're going to spend, since (aside from accessories like...
[QUOTE=elroth;1999560]I did read the story. Apple is not paying $180/sq ft. The MTA claims that Apple is paying the equivalent of $180 per sq ft because of the other investments. In the end, the MTA is getting $60 sq/ft and they claim that's 4x the previous rent, so Metrazur was indeed paying $15/sq ft. If that's not the case, then the MTA doesn't know how to write an intelligent, clear response. But even if I'm wrong, the $45 sq/ft that you believe Metrazur was...
The fact remains regardless of the actual motives of the politicians involved is that $60/sq ft for Manhattan retail in a prime location is absurdly low regardless of the benefit of having Apple in that space. Having said that, the $15/sq ft that the restaurant was paying borders on criminal and the politicians are hypocritical for not having investigated that. Frankly, except perhaps for the bakeries and snack places, I really don't think that the presence of the Apple...
That doesn't sound right to me. Noise isolation doesn't use a 2nd mic. Noise cancellation uses the 2nd mic to pick up outside sounds that are also picked up by the primary microphone. They're mixed together out of phase. This cancels anything in common, which in a perfect world, doesn't include your own voice speaking into the phone. It has nothing to do with filtering out "unwanted frequencies". This 2-mic "mixing out of phase" technique was actually first...
I disagree. If Apple is paying $60 a square foot (which is unheard of for prime Manhattan retail space) and the previous restaurant was only paying $15 a square foot, then that was a crime as well and should have been investigated. $15 (if real) is so incredibly low, it has to make me wonder if there wasn't some payoff involved. But $60 a square foot is incredibly low and is definitely worth an investigation. I find it easy to believe that other retailers...
Damned ACLU. Imagine the nerve of them trying to defend the Bill of Rights and stop censorship. They're all a bunch of Reds anyways.
I don't know how much of Siri was Steve. In the biog, it's implied that he was given a demo of Siri for the first time at a Board meeting just before he resigned and was at first pessimistic that it could do as claimed. He asked it several questions and was apparently impressed. If Steve was not heavily involved with Siri, that actually is a positive for Apple. There's an impression that Jobs was a micro-manager who was involved in every design decision and there's...
I don't think that's what they meant. I think they discounted Apple's property taxes by 50%. I don't know what the discount on personal taxes means. I'm of mixed mind here. For one thing, we don't know what Apple promised the town. If we assume that Apple was honest and told them there would only be 50 permanent jobs then the town government was simply extremely naive. But as someone else pointed out, those 50 jobs still reduced unemployment by 1.7%. (And even...