or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Foxconn (Apple) is there for only one reason.    Brazil has giant import taxes on anything not produced there.   IMO, the Government was brilliant.   They, in essence, forced Apple/Foxconn to manufacture there.   If Apple were to give up manufacturing there, they'd be giving up on Brazil as a market because few could afford the product with the import taxes.       None of us know whether the employees' gripes are legit or not.    But I think this assumption that...
    I agree with you when it comes to general use by businesses for employees who use a multitude of applications both locally and on the network:   Microsoft Office plus whatever proprietary accounting or other apps a particular company uses.    No one is going to be very efficient trying to use those kinds of apps on an iPad.      But for employees who do one thing:   order takers, inventory, certain medical apps, etc., the iPad is a great device and many businesses are...
    No they should not stop making Macs.    Many of us still need to do real work using complex applications on a large monitor (or more than one monitor) and need to type efficiently on a real keyboard.     The iPad is an amazing device and is fantastic for people who mainly consume content.   But it does not replace the sophisticated use of a computer.      Macs and iPads are made on different production lines with different parts.  One does not impact the other.    ...
    Every time I see promotion for a new Windows OS, I think, "wow..that looks pretty good".    Then I get to use it and it's horrible.    I'm consulting for a company that uses Window 7 now (last time I was there, there were still on XP) and I thought I was going to like it, but so far, I kind of hate it.   I find the application icons to be ugly and confusing.    When I have multiple documents open for the same app, it's a pain to have to click on the icon and choose...
    Usage depends upon what your job actually is.   If all you do with a computer is check email, surf the web, write small Word documents and simple spreadsheets, than a 13" might be good enough and a 15" is more than good enough.   In fact, for those people, a Pad might be good enough, especially if you get the external keyboard.     What I think we're starting to see when people talk about the post-PC era, is really a split between people who consume content and those...
never mind...it didn't quote
I don't think that a lot of U.S. film editing jobs are going to move overseas. The reason is that on any given feature, there are a small number of editors working and with the advent of computer-based editing systems, one editor can do the work of what used to take four. Also, on most major productions, the editor works very closely with the director. It might make sense to shoot a film in India, because of far-lower costs for the entire large crew, but the...
In the short term, yes, consumers would pay more. But in the long term, it would have made Amazon a monopoly and then prices would have steadily climbed anyway. Or, Amazon, being a monopoly would have put pressure on the publishers to lower the wholesale price just as WalMart has forced manufacturers to lower their wholesale prices. Do you know what that led to? Declining quality and the move of manufacturing to China, India, etc. Low online prices do give us...
Back in the days when a majority of autos used DIN-sized radios that weren't tied into the HVAC system, this might have been possible. But now that replacing radios is a really big deal, if not impossible in so many cars, I can't see Apple getting involved in this. And while Apple would have loved to do an OEM deal with a car manufacturer 15 years ago, those numbers are quite small compared to what Apple is doing today. There's also the issue of driver...
Even Apple is reputed to have sent tons of Macs, Mac LCs, Peformas, Quadras and the Centris models to the dumpster just before Jobs returned to the company and reformulated the product line. By 1996, Apple had gotten it down to just Macs and Performas. In '97, before Jobs returned, there were just 4 Performa models released, the last one on April 1. Jobs returned on July 9th.I did have a G4 Sawtooth that was a great machine that I used for nine years (which must be...