or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

When I first got my iPhone 3G, the battery life seemed awful and I panicked and bought one of those external batteries that you can plug in to charge the iPhone's battery, but in 2 1/2 years, I've only used it about five times. I turned down the brightness, shut off Bluetooth except when I'm in the car and using a headset, shut off notifications, shut off push and shut off location services, except when I'm outside. I can always go one full day without recharging,...
And that's the problem for people who desire a home theatre experience. When I watch a movie, I want it to be at the highest possible quality and resolution and I want to hear it in 5.1 multichannel sound. (If I had a bigger place, I'd want to hear it in 7.1). Therefore, if, in the name of simplifying the UI and operation, an Apple TV doesn't connect to an A/V receiver and Blu-ray player, it's a deal breaker for me, even if it has lots of other very compelling...
Yes, and while it was fine film in many respects, I actually found it frustrating because so many details were left out and when Nixon resigns at the end of the film (which isn't actually shown, except with a title card), it almost seems anti-climactic. "All The President's Men" is about two years in the lives of Woodward & Bernstein, not the story of their lives, so while the story is more complex in some ways and it has some aspects of a thriller, it's a much smaller...
The problem with Sorkin is not the quality of his writing, it's that he wants to have so much impact on the dramatic arc of the film that his writing has nothing to do with historical accuracy. And Hollywood seems not to care at all about producing screen bios that are historically accurate. It's almost never been done. And they frequently leave out important characters. "Ray" left out Neshui Ertegun (Ahmet's brother and co-founder of the company). "Cadillac...
Yep. I get paperwork for class action lawsuits over stocks that I've owned all the time. If the lawsuit succeeds, you usually get about 7 cents a share. Since most of my investments are in funds in which I own just a few shares of each stock, they're usually not worth the postage to mail the forms back (never mind the time to research all the stock buys/sales). But the lawyers get $ millions, sometimes up to hundreds of $ millions. It's an absurd and ridiculous...
You can't turn the set on with an iPhone because the iPhone is working over the network. The TV (at least TVs and other electronics released so far) can't recognize the incoming command from the network when they're turned off. So the iPhone (or iPad) has to trigger another device which in turn, triggers the TV via control functionality. Maybe Apple will find a way around this, similar to the way you can (supposedly) send a command over the network to wake up the Mac....
I agree that the media and especially the analysts have never gotten Apple right. But one of the reasons for all the criticism recently is simply because Apple is no longer a niche computer company as it once was. It's a company with enormous revenues and on good days has the highest market cap and that makes it an easy target. In addition, the press loves to build up and then take down companies (or people) and the blogosphere just makes it even worse. There...
What's interesting to me about this chart is that: - it's actually a quite traditional hierarchically organized company (with a lot of VPs!) - why doesn't Ive have any senior level people reporting to him? - it reminds us that Tim Cook as new CEO has got to find a new COO.
How much money does one need, even to live a very luxurious life? He's a relatively young man who could retire today and live out the rest of his life without a financial worry. And remember - $128 million is what he's worth, not what he's made (at least according to the report). He's made far more. I have no idea how he lives, but I would imagine that he probably lives in a killer house. Of course a large portion of that $128 million could be in Apple stock. ...
It's down 6% at 5:40pm, but that brings it back to what it was only about 10 days ago. After the market calms down a bit and properly analyzes Apple's sales and projections for next quarter, it will go back up again. Apple sells 3-4 million phones in one weekend and the stock drops....completely absurd. It's like the old days....whenever Apple announced anything good, the stock would drop for no apparent reason, then it would slowly creep back up. Meanwhile, even...