or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I agree, although I don't see Apple getting into the energy business. If Apple did make a major leap in the development of practical renewal power, that would do more to "change the world" than any computer they ever made. If Apple was successful at this, can you imagine if everyone who attempts to copy Apple today, attempted to copy them at this - where it would become "unhip" or "politically incorrect" to build or operate a factory that didn't use renewable...
No. Amazon was trying to gain a dominant level of market share to keep other people from even entering the business. The poster you responded to was correct. If you create an unhealthy business, eventually that business goes away. That's why physical retail is fast disappearing. Were we better off when Borders and Barnes & Noble came in with huge stores and frequent discounts and killed the independent booksellers? Now Borders is gone and Barnes & Noble...
In traditional trade book deals, authors are paid royalties based upon the list price of the book, so it makes no difference to them what the books sell for. E-books can be treated either as a trade book, as a specially negotiated deal or as a subright. If a subright, the authors actually get more: they tend to get about 40%-50% of net revenue (as opposed to about 12% of cover price on a hardcover). Amazon could be accused of predatory pricing when they sell below...
I read somewhere that Steve Jobs felt the reason why Apple could best Sony is that Apple divisions didn't have to compete against each other because there was only one P&L. At Sony, the movie division doesn't want to "give" their content to the hardware division unless the hardware division not only pays for it, but is willing to pay more than other parties. (I've experienced the same thing in large companies I've worked for - in one, we had to buy physical products...
The biggest problem with FMP isn't the software itself, it's that it's easy enough so that people who know nothing about proper database structures and conventions can use it. They wind up creating databases that look like "ransom notes".
I agree that the ad has problems and I've posted about that before, but I completely disagree that Steve wouldn't have approved it. IMO, that's exactly the kind of ad he would have approved. He would have thought a voiceover was not "aesthetic". The Titanic is beginning to sink??? With Apple's sales and stock price??? It's more like The Titanic lifted itself out of the water and began to fly at Mach3. In a still-bad economy, the stock price has doubled in a...
Because in a Pro portable device, I don't want something external that could be internal. And I still use the optical drive to receive files that are too big to email from other people and to transfer files from a non-networkable standalone CD-R drive. And I also burn music for people. As cheap as USB hard drive keys are, they're not as cheap as a blank CD-R. In addition, some people still prefer DVDs (and Blu-rays for that matter) to streaming and downloadable...
I've worked in retail when I was in college and the only time I found it stressful is when we weren't busy. When we were busy, it was great! Who doesn't want to make sales? Besides, in Apple stores, MOST visitors are busy on computers checking email and fooling around. They're not looking for staff assistance. And when they do, I don't understand what's stressful about helping them out, except possibly in the cases where some arrogant bastard is screaming at...
You could never do that in a public school system. They can't even require the kids to buy a pencil anymore. I attended a public technical high school and aside from tons of drafting supplies, we had to buy a "handbook" which had everything from the school's course offerings to vocabulary lists. No more - the schools aren't permitted to force the students to buy anything. I don't know what public schools do today in terms of lost or damaged textbooks. If a...
Textbooks aren't expensive because of the printing cost. Textbooks are expensive because of the writing, editorial, marketing and rights clearance (photos, etc.) costs. None of those costs go away for eTexts. In fact, producing eTexts can be more expensive because now you've got to have trained people who can add layers of interactivity and the nature of the medium demands more art, photos, videos, animations and mini-apps within the textbook. Someone's going...