or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

It's outdated from a fashion standpoint - for those who think the iOS needs to change just so it looks fresh.   It's not outdated from a functional standpoint, because it works quite well, although I can also buy the notion that the startup screen should not necessarily be a list of applications, but something that summarizes news/weather/stocks/activity, etc.       Having said that, Apple used to lead in screen design, use of appropriate fonts and general elegance and...
Glad you all know so much about a film you haven't even seen, but I guess that's consistent with the way you criticize products that you haven't used.
THX certification didn't really have all that much to do with surround specifically.    It had to do with certifying that noise levels in a theatre (primarily from HVAC systems) were minimized, EQing the acoustics of a theatre and with certain minimum standards for the amplifiers and speakers, which mainly had to do with distortion levels and frequency response. All of this applied whether the theatre was mono or 70mm split surround.   In addition, THX leased theatres an...
Before the killer response to the iPhone and iPad, 1.5 million units would not have been considered to be bad performance.    But Apple has changed the entire definition of what it means to launch new successful products.   Unfortunately for everyone (including Apple) that has changed expectations to absurd heights.   I've posted this several times before, but these are the amount of times that new technologies took to achieve just 1 million...
I really expect the Apple iPhone5s (or whatever comes next) to be iterative as well. What would not make a new phone iterative? Holographic display? Another doubling of resolution? A far more advanced Siri? It's applications that drive these devices. Phones are becoming a "mature" technology, just as computers are. It's absurd to be expecting revolutionary changes at this point. Screens will get a bit bigger, the phones will continue to get thinner...
I can't believe you guys are still arguing over the election.    Or even any of the pre- or post- election issues.   It's obvious that you're never going to agree.       My ex leans one way and I lean completely the opposite way.    I was at her house and another common friend of ours was there arguing politics with them.    My ex said to me, "how come you never argue about politics when you're here?"   I said, "first of all, I'm a guest in your house.     And...
I disagree, even though I personally feel that there's no danger (since many passengers never actually shut down their devices anyway - they just place them out of sight).    I don't want politicians making decisions on what's safe or on what's science even when regulators don't do their job properly.    The result of that is politicians who deny global warming and even those who deny evolution.    Even if the FAA is totally wrong on this issue, what's the harm?   That...
Good...let them reduce their targets. Then when Apple kills those more sensible targets, the stock will rise again. I've said it a million times before, but one of the most profitable companies on the planet, #2 in market cap, no debt, tons of cash, did amazingly well during the recession, but the stock loses tons of value from the peak. Insanity. And in the above chart (and not that it contributes much revenue), but where's the MacPro? I thought we were seeing that...
This is not about consumers. This is about lawyers trying to make big bucks on class action lawsuits. Ever get a legal notice about those based upon stocks that you've owned? The shareholders get a few pennies per share and the law firm gets $200 million. In most cases, it's not even worth my time to fill out the forms. Having said that, I think there is a slight chance a court could rule that Apple's insistence on exclusivity is abusive. Think about it: in...
I think a tracking device in a closed environment like an amusement park is really not a big deal.   What's the difference if they know what rides you went on and when or what food you bought?      I think that the membership cards issued by supermarkets, drugstores and other retailers is much more onerous.   I don't use them because I don't want my purchases tracked, although when you use a credit card, they're being somewhat tracked anyway.         I agree (except for...