or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

The problem is that the places that are high traffic are not the places that are "hip" and vice-versa. So where do you put the store? Borough President Marty Markowitz was pushing for an Apple store on Court Street, but that particular shopping district can be kind of seedy, even though it's surrounded by wonderful cast-iron towers and brownstones. Park Slope's 7th Avenue or 5th Avenue would target the right market, but it's not high density. Same for Montague...
We've been able to make calls in New York for some time now. But that wasn't the biggest issue. When I first got my iPhone about three years ago, 95% of my calls get dropped. Now it's probably 1% or less. There were also places, like Fifth Avenue in the 40s (near the main branch of the NY Public Library), where the phone simply refused to work. That's no longer the case either. I always thought that I would switch from AT&T back to Verizon, but by the time...
I was surprised to read that it was finances that stopped Apple from creating a museum because the mantra from Steve Jobs was always that he had no interest in looking backwards (even though Steve wasn't necessarily at Apple at the time this was being proposed). But now that Apple has tons of cash, I think that it would make sense for the company to establish some kind of museum perhaps tied to an educational center. They could "borrow" materials back from Stanford...
Big deal....he's just a young guy having a little fun. Let's not make a big deal out of it. It's actually great to see Jobs in a photo where he's not being so serious.
I don't know what this obsession is with giving kids computers. It's a solution in search of a problem. Elementary school students don't need a machine to search Google or play games or to waste their minds on Facebook or Twitter or Angry Birds. What they need are the basics: reading, writing, math, history, geography and science plus art/music/creativity, which at that age level should be learned with physical materials: putting pen to paper or playing a real...
December's over. Not an issue. That's not to say I agree with the rumor, but holiday sales would only have been an issue if the rumor came out around Thanksgiving. And even then, it would only affect potential customers who populate sites like this one. The bigger issue is how many iPad2s does Apple have in inventory and how many do they project to have in February.
So has mine, but I don't think it has anything to do with the use of computers and keyboards. I think it has more to do with the flexibility of my fingers. I remember my father used to make fun of me for writing in a incredibly small block font style, but it was perfectly readable. Much of the time, I can't even read my own handwriting now.
And that looks almost exactly like Apple's Lincoln Square store in New York City, which is quite beautiful. However, one problem with that design, which features stone floors, stone walls and glass ceilings in a large open space is that it is incredibly noisy. Every sound is magnified. I had a lot of trouble testing Siri in the store and it sounded to me like there was a very large sound system on the owner level, but when I went down there, there was just some small...
That's a ridiculous statement. NYC is among the large cities with the least amount of crime. There are 10 cities in the U.S. with more than 1 million people. All stats are per capita. Violent Crime: NYC is 3rd (1st being the least crime) Murder: NYC is 3rd from the least Rape: NYC has the least. Robbery: NYC is 4th from the least Aggravated Assault: NYC is 5th from the least Property Crime: NYC has the least Burglary: NYC has the least Larceny/Theft: NYC has...
And not taxing the rich expands the welfare state for the rich. The 18% long-term capital gains tax is a farce. Why should investors pay 20% less than salaried workers?Your hero, Ronald Reagan, taxed the rich at 50% (highest marginal rate) and it's now only 38%. The great Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower taxed the rich at 90%. So I'm totally in favor of returning to Eisenhower's or Reagan's tax rates for the rich.I've never understood this mantra that raising the...