or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

It's not the same at all. When you speed, you break the law. The fine is because of that.Apple's strategy is not breaking current law, but it is breaking the spirit of the purpose of the tax code and the economy.Almost no Fortune 500 companies pay Federal taxes most years. This is why the country is broke. Our Congress, especially Republicans, are like Leona Helmsly. She said, "pay taxes? Only the little people pay taxes," but she went to jail for it (for not...
I've only tried a Windows phone in a store for a few minutes. Maybe I'd hate it, but at least during a short demo and use, it seemed fine to me. And among the people in my office, I see more Android phones than iPhones. The reality is that for most of the things that people do with a smartphone, especially those people who either because of cost or lack of need, haven't bought a smartphone as yet, just about any phone will suffice. What do most people want to do most...
  Yes, so instead we should become Beijing, where the air is so bad, people don't go outside anymore and those that do wear face masks, and where many international schools are basically inside domes with massive air filtration systems so that the kids can survive without having severe bronchial problems before age 10.   Why do car people always think that the car should take priority over pedestrians and bicyclists?    Especially on new roads and reconstructed roads,...
Unless I'm misinterpreting the document, Apple is "recommending" the addition of bike baths on the public streets surrounding the campus, which means they expect the city to build them, not that they're willing to build them or even fund them. Also, the document says the current campus has 4844 employees with a capacity of 8400. I thought they were "stuffed to the gills" at the current campus and were leasing tons of outside space. They also talk about "net new...
I disagree.   How do you know if you're supposed to upgrade if you don't know your version number?    How do support people support their Macs if they don't know the version number?    How do applications which only work with certain OS versions inform potential customers whether or not their app will work with their version of the OS?   If the next OS (or the one after or the one after that) is enough of a change, I have no problem with Apple moving from OS X to OS XI.  ...
Lots of people, even though Apple doesn't want to think so.   Why should I pay for a download for a CD I already own?   (And I own 1000 CDs, not to mention still owning about 500 LPs).    If I were to buy downloads for everything that's on my CDs, I'd probably have to spend around $15,000.      And RedBook audio is still better quality than MP3 audio at "normal" bit rates.            Also, I produce websites that contain archival audio.    Due to file sizes and the fact...
Are you kidding?   Amazon generates tons of cash flow, but very little profit.   Many quarters, it makes no profit at all, which it usually blames on free shipping.
I've watched only the first 18 minutes so far, but from my perspective, this isn't a satire of Steve.   It's a satire of the movies that are coming out about Steve, even though they haven't been released yet.    It plays with Hollywood story conventions and IMO, purposely gets stuff wrong or trivializes it because that's what Hollywood movies do.   At first  I thought they were playing it completely straight, but poorly, because Justin Long seems to be playing...
  Both Tim Cook and President Obama have said that Apple is going to bring some "manufacturing" jobs back to the U.S.    I had always assumed that it would mean nothing more than final assembly of the MacPro, since they don't sell that many of them.     ----   I also have to wonder whether Jobs would have supported the construction of an Apple facility in downtown Reno.   He once killed an Apple Store on either 14th street or 23rd street (I forget which) in Manhattan...
Umm..you use Adobe InDesign for a magazine (or for anything) and you have to pay Adobe a license fee? Since when? If you output a PDF, how would they even know?