or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Nope. You have to register to sue in federal court, which is the only place a trademark/copyright suit can be filed. And the only way you can sue in federal court is with a registration. However, you don't have to register until x days after the first use of the conflicting mark. (I think it's 90 days). So this other company can still register the mark and win a lawsuit although it obviously would have made a stronger case if they had filed a registration when...
We're getting a bit off-topic, but..... Sports is different because the economic model for sports is entirely different than that for movie theatres. Sports team owners are more like the movie studios in that they "own" their players and they're able to get revenue directly from ancillary sales to TV, cable, website advertising, etc. And they get a share of licensing revenue from merchandise, which for most sports is handled by the leagues or parent organization and...
I agree, but one of the biggest promoters of convenience over quality is Apple. iTunes is the largest distributor of compressed music and iPhones/iPods put out something under a quarter watt of sound. And the quality of Apple's video isn't any great shakes either. But most people (except perhaps for Blu-ray fans) don't seem to have a problem with it and consumers also don't seem to have a problem watching feature films on a 3" screen. Why? It's convenient. And...
I'm surprised by the positive reaction. To me, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Theatre apps/sites already show the next available showtime and most movies start around the same time anyway. I realize this gives suggestions around your current schedule, etc., but I wonder how meaningful or practical that is in the real world. I'd be just as likely to move dinner around the movie time as I would be to move the movie time around the dinner. One...
Actually, eminent domain is being increasingly used by local governments to force people or companies out to support other private developers. IMO, this should be illegal, but it is happening. One place it is happening is in Flushing, NY, near the Mets baseball stadium, where the City is forcing out hundreds of small car repair places so that new expensive condos and yet another shopping mall can be built. A foolish notion, IMO, considering that other new condos...
I've been wondering for some time what Apple was going to do with that campus. It appeared to me to be so much land for so many new employees that Apple was going to enter some entirely new businesses. But I didn't realize that Apple had so many employees "off campus" in rented properties. I think the idea of having just one office building on this campus, hiding much of the garage space (although how do you get thousands of people in and out of an underground garage...
The broader indexes are up 34% in the last year? Because Apple stock is, right?
IMO, the analysts don't get it (in spite of their high price projections for the stock). I just saw a TV report which obsessed over the fact that no new iPhone was announced, even though it was well known that there wasn't going to be one. That would only matter if iPhone (or iPad) sales were in decline, but they're not. Apple has far out-performed every other tech company in the worst economic environment in 80 years. What more do they want? While I will only...
Here's the latest RIAA stats for 2009 and 2010:http://76.74.24.142/548C3F4C-6B6D-F7...5E2AB93610.pdf
At 8.3 million songs per day, that's a bit over 3 billion songs a year. And while I realize the time periods don't match exactly, the RIAA reported only 1.9 billion equivalent song downloads for the calendar year 2009 (1.138 billion song downloads + 76.4 million album downloads which they multiply by 10 to get a song equivalent). So the numbers don't seem to sync up - someone's numbers are off by at least a third (also since Apple doesn't have 100% of the business.)