or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

IMO, Apple should not be rewarded a patent on the IDEA of an animated page turn.   If they have some particular unique method of implementation, that might deserve a patent.    IMO, this is an obvious concept and it doesn't deserve a patent any more than the idea of a virtual trash can.   And having nothing to do with the patent aspect, doesn't Apple do it wrong?   Shouldn't it curl from the top (not that it matters)?   Who turns an actual paper page from the bottom?
You're right on the money.     The funny thing is that in past decades, recent legal immigrants tended to support Republicans, especially Hispanics.   It wouldn't be that hard for Republicans to win Hispanics back, but they've got to get past this thinking that anyone who is not of European descent is not a "real American" and they've got to stop witch hunts for illegal immigrants.       The other thing working against the current form of the Republican party is that...
The problem with all this is that the average person doesn't know how much data it takes to download email, download a book, etc. Secondly, if you have to pay more every time you add a device (shared data plan aside for the moment), people will resist adding devices. If you're primarily using a Pad as an e-book reader, then WiFi alone is probably enough. But if you're using it for email, web surfing and any kind of texting/social media, then you need a carrier. But...
Once again, ridiculousness.    You're not supposed to be able to obtain a patent on ideas, only on a methodology for implementation.    So there should be no patent on rotating screen displays.   There should be a patent on a particular non-obvious method of achieving it.   So if you have some sort of gyroscope or a liquid switch or whatever, that should be patentable.   But not the idea that the screen rotates and pixels are moved from one place to another.   And...
I put a fusion drive in my late 2008 MacBook Pro laptop last year.   It's a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB drive.  Not sure if mine has a 16MB or 32MB cache.  I'm also not sure whether the Apple OS is making use of it the same way the new Macs do, but it does seem faster than the 7200RPM smaller drive that I had purchased with the machine.  I bought it primarily because I needed more disc space, but since I was buying a new drive anyway, decided to go with the hybrid.   This...
  I don't get it.  How would any system know whether anyone voted yet or not?    While the Board of Elections knows that by my signing the book, is that information public?
  I think what happened is that the political leaders on the right as well as the right-wing pundits live in a very insulated world.    The ones we see on TV are rich, part of an elite group, male dominated (in spite of the female pundits on Fox) and they only talk to each other.    So when everyone you know feels the same way you extrapolate that to the whole country and thereby completely misinterpret what's going on.  That's why the polls seemed wrong to them.   I...
Personally, I find this very hard to believe. Making LCDs is a very low-margin business. The traditional Japanese manufacturers, like Sony and Panasonic, are all losing money at it even though everything except their top line sets (and sometimes even those) are manufactured in China, Mexico and other low-wage countries. So I don't see how Foxconn can successfully operate manufacturing in the U.S. even if they got away with paying minimum wage and with keeping the unions...
  While some of the problem seems to be QA issues, you do not build a supply chain to handle peak demand - you build it for average demand.   Otherwise when demand declines or near the end of a model life, you're stuck with tons of expensive unused capacity, even if it's a third-party contractor.     Just as it always has, this will all settle down by another eight weeks.     From a marketing perspective, it works very well  - inability to get a phone creates demand for...
The day they launch a desktop mouseless OS is the day I will never buy an Apple computer again.   The trackpad is great, but it doesn't replace the mouse when you want to work efficiently for people who do real work.   I don't care whether Apple supplies the mouse as long as it still works.     Apple has to get over its arrogance and realize that different people work in different ways and what's best for one person is not necessariy what's best for another.    They need...