or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I could make the opposite case.   Now that most newspapers are online and the majority of photos are printed in color, you need higher quality than the age when photos were printed on cheap newsprint with low resolution screen printing.      But this isn't just about the technical quality of photographs.    The best photo-journalism combines visual "facts" with art.    It's not just about capturing the moment.    Why don't they just fire all the reporters as well and rely...
  Unless the rules have changed in recent years, many European countries prohibit comparative advertising.     Did the Mac vs. PC ads play in Europe?  (I'm asking).  
I agree that it seems to be much ado about nothing, but having said that, this article doesn't even resemble journalism and if Apple had written it themselves, it wouldn't have lavished such praise on Apple. Can we even attempt to be fair? The Apple Store they're building looks like it's going to be similar to the Lincoln Square store in New York City. It's a beautiful store, but I do have to wonder whether a greenhouse design is appropriate for California. Although...
  Screen shot or movie poster or DVD cover and metadata of movie appear on screen.   Siri says, "Is 'The Godfather Part II' the movie you'd like to see?".     You say "yes" or "no".    See, it's really not all that hard.   
  I don't think so.   In fact, I wonder what the future is for the Airs going forward.    While the MBPros are still very slightly thicker and a bit heavier than the Airs, they're getting so close, form factor is much less of an issue since they removed the optical drives from most of the MBP line, except perhaps for the 11" Air, since there's no equivalent Pro.    If the Airs are going to continue to exist, the main reason would be the price differential.   But the 13"...
Except that graphic design is fashion and what's considered contemporary changes over time.    That's why Aqua (which I happened to like quite a bit) looked fantastic when it was released, but looks a little funky now.   You look at ads from a few years ago and the fonts seem "old fashioned".    Sometimes Helvetica is in and sometimes it's out, etc.    Apple used to pay a lot more attention to typography in the OS than it does now.      You can update the graphic look and...
  Any time you saturate a market, sales will begin to decline until you hit a replacement cycle.    But I don't think we're there yet, and I don't expect big declines in Apple's sales, especially if they release new models, which will garner new interest.       Back in the "computer days", the analysts always used to argue that Apple should either license the OS or find a way to produce cheap computers like Dell and the other clone makers.     Look where Dell and those...
That's not the point.   I also think Word is a terrible app.   The point is that those apps dominate in the business world for better or worse.   At one point, I thought I would give up Office and use Apple's apps instead, but even though there's a certain level of compatibility, it's impossible.    If I know I'm bringing my Mac along, I'll use Keynote, because it blows people away as compared with Powerpoint, but if it's a document that I have to share with other people,...
  I agree with you about "discovery".  I think this is a problem for both media and apps.  If you know what you want, it's easy, but if you're looking for "new music that I would like" or "the best app to do X", I don't think Apple has ever solved the problem of how to find the best when there's a hundred thousand apps and millions of music tracks.       The best physical record stores weren't the ones that were the largest, they were the ones that curated the best.  ...
I disagree even though I think Microsoft's Pads are terrible.    This ad is addressed towards current PC business users (thus the emphasis on Powerpoint) who haven't bought an iPad yet and are considering a Pad as their next computer.    The point of the ad is that Microsoft's device is a serious device that a business person could use and that the iPad is not really suitable for complex tasks - that it's great for playing with silly apps, but for not much else AND that...