or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

An Apple II with two floppy drives (no hard disk) and monochrome monitor was about $2K, as I remember it, which is probably about $4K in 2011 dollars and education bought them in droves, so the $500 price shouldn't be an issue. Print textbooks are also very expensive. But having said that, while this might be a great tool for college students, I would be a little more wary for elementary schools students who need to learn to read and need to put pen to paper, which...
That was very well done. And that's probably where we are eventually headed (although, except perhaps for the thinness, there would be severe engineering constraints on implementing the other features - like projecting a keyboard is one thing, but being able to respond to key-presses from a projected image is quite another). But I do like the way these guys think - Apple should hire them.
Wrong. Dividends are issues by companies who want to attract investors who are looking for income.Wrong. Companies buy back their own stock when it's undervalued. And Apple's stock is currently undervalued because it's getting hit by the same factors (possible Greece default, etc.) that is bringing down the entire market. It's not the worst thing they can do. If they want to buy something big instead or develop a new technology, fine. The overall point is that Apple...
You can certainly house 12,000 employees in an urban setting. I'm working in a building right now for a media company that is nowhere near any of the largest, but there are 3000 employees and there are 100 more buildings down the same avenue with similar numbers. While I don't agree with everything Hawthorne says, I do agree that there are tremendous advantages to a society where its workers interact with each other in a streetscape with everything that entails:...
That's true, but Apple can "encourage" their workers to do so by providing them with some benefit if they carpool, bike, etc. Maybe if you commit to carpool every day, you get a closer parking space or something. They could also do what amusement parks do: have remote parking (doesn't Apple also own the land south of 280 as well?) somewhere and have shuttles (as you mention) to the main building. While this would still result in the same total number of cars...
1. Not high wages, but certainly higher wages than the average $130 a month paid to Chinese manufacturing employees. So what do you propose: that we eliminate the minimum wage laws and pay people even less than the current minimum wage? Tell me where one can live in the U.S. even on minimum wage? Certainly in no decent place would minimum wage even cover rent. As for unions, I think unions now cover only 11% of jobs in the U.S. and most of those are public...
Never mind.
Oops..you're right...I must have just woken up when I typed that. However, I don't see how you can have an optical zoom in an iPhone or the like. I do think I saw some accessory maker who makes some kind of clamp so that you can use regular 35mm or DX-sized lenses on an iPhone, but IMO, it's kind of ridiculous to attach such a large lens to a camera phone. You might as well just carry a camera body. I'm certainly willing to 'wait and see', and I don't argue with...
They're not a mile away. They are far, but it's more like photographing an athlete in a sports stadium. And they're shooting with 400mm, 500mm or 600mm lenses, frequently with an extender that makes the lens double that length. In addition, they're not using an optical zoom (which electronically zooms). They're using an actual physical zoom where the lens elements move. Optical zooms give terrible results, because in essence, it's a crop. And in a cell phone camera,...
I agree with the first poster: this is all a tremendous waste of time and screen space. It might be one thing if someone finds some really obscure but useful product or service, but what purpose does it serve to send people on a Facebook list (or to post on one's wall) a photo and information about an Apple product? Do you really think "your friends" don't already know about it? You might as well send them a photo of a can of tuna fish. We've become completely...