or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Not Apple, but Amazon got a patent for "one-click" which Apple was forced to license.  IMO, the idea of making one click to purchase an item is nothing more than that - an obvious idea.    No more special, unique or patentable than the express line at the supermarket.   Amazon shouldn't have been able to patent that.  But they did and the courts found it valid (incorrectly in my opinion).      I see lots of patents for things like "storing a file".      This is all...
I'm glad to hear that it looks like they're keeping the theatre.   I really thought they would get rid of it in favor of one-on-one training.   Soho had always been my favorite NYC Apple store because of the theatre.  It (in the store before the remodeling) was at the top of the stairs and open so you could pop in for a few minutes, walk out if it got boring, come back,   etc.      Kudos to Apple for keeping it.   If it now has more seats, either the theatre got pushed...
The name of this site is Apple Insider.   It's not Apple Tech Insider.    As far as I'm concerned, anything of note relating to Apple fits the bill.  The fact that movies are being made about Steve Jobs is quite relevant as it adds to the perception that Apple is a very important company.    I bet that other "wanna be" tech companies start competing to have films made about them.     I wouldn't be surprised if the ones with huge sums of cash actually fund such a film.  ...
  The concept has been around for many years, although it's not the concept that matters (at least it's not supposed to be the concept that matters), it's the execution.   So the question becomes whether Apple "stole" this particular design.   The Grateful Dead used this concept in reverse back in the 1970s to reduce feedback in live performances.     They had two microphones on the same mount wired out of phase with each other.   If the singer leaned in close to one...

It's not collecting the tax that's hard.   Sales tax is built into all e-commerce engines and there are companies who will inexpensively sell you a simple database subscription with all the rates by zip code (although the ones I'm familiar with don't break it down further than zip code, so I don't know how anyone's handling the case someone mentioned above where the same zip code had two different rates).  I used such databases when I consulted for an infomercial...
Except I meant "in the minority on this Board", not in the overall marketplace.     I don't think the full impact of Apple's 'no-upgrade', 'can't fix" design philosophy has hit the market yet.    Come back to me a year from now and we'll see.   
I hope that's sarcastic.   Any analysis of crime rates will clearly demonstrate that places with more guns leads to more crime, not less.      Or to idiots like George Zimmerman in Florida.    You can criticize gun restrictions in Europe, but every western European country has far lesser crime rates than just about any place in the U.S. 
  I think people, especially men, who are opposed to conservation and environmental efforts do so because of some kind of macho pride.    They think if they have to change their life one iota to correspond to someone else's idea of how to live that they're demonstrating some kind of weakness.    (So this is really about sex. )    Or they want to take the stand that the dangerous chemicals in the air can't affect them.   So they must find an excuse not to change.   They...
Yes, but even without a national law, their sales tax advantage is slowly disappearing.   Most states now consider affiliate sales to constitute tax nexus even when the consumer doesn't buy through the affiliate (which I disagree with, but the states are getting away with it).   In some states, Amazon has killed the affiliate programs.   In others, they've bitten the bullet and now charge sales tax.    In addition, there is no question or debate that Amazon HAS to charge...