or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I actually think this is a big mistake from a marketing perspective.    If you don't know which version of a device you have, then you won't necessarily feel you need to upgrade.     It also makes things far more complicated from a purchasing, app purchasing and maintenance perspective.    If I don't really know which version of a device I have, then I don't know which apps will run on it.   If the device isn't clearly labeled and the physical design hasn't changed,...
  The old model SHOULD die, but it's not going to in the medium term.   The problem is that both the cable companies (MSOs) and the content companies (cable networks) are at fault.   Many cable networks charge by the cable subscriber, regardless of whether that subscriber actually watches the channel.    I believe the Yankees Network charges $3 per subscriber per month.   It's no wonder our cable bills keep rising.      I think it's time that both the cable networks and...
If the computer senses that you've shifted your hands to a different position (let's say your left pinkie is on the "s" instead of the "a" and then adjusts and then you intuitively realize your hands are in the wrong position and then you switch back to proper home position and it has to adjust again, I could see this being more annoying than helpful because you know it's not going to get it right a lot of the time.    However, making intelligent guesses about what you...
  The Nokia does look like a fairly nice phone and I'm sure it will do well.   But it's far from perfect as this review will attest.   And my bet is that it comes in subsidized at a much higher price than the iPhone.      http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/first-look-nokia-lumia-920-and-820/
I just bought a relatively inexpensive Monoprice USB to 30-pin and it's absolutely as nice as Apple's and a lot less money.  I think they just reduced the price less than what I paid a week ago - it's now $3.25 for a 3 ft white cable.    Apple charges $19.
  It's because there are idiots out there who think that just because a new model comes out every year, they have to upgrade, and if they have to upgrade, they want something completely different.     Do these same people buy a new car every year?    I think there needs to be a new study of anal-compulsive behavior in the U.S. because it seems to be epidemic.   On the other hand, all these people replacing their phones every year is what is keeping Apple stock at near...
  Ideas are not supposed to be patentable, only implementations of ideas.   Did Gelertner ever implement anything?    If he did, then I agree with you, but that diagram looks more like Windows 3 than anything Apple has done.  And while there may have been other such diagrams, if it looks like anything, it looks like Time Machine, not Cover Flow.     I don't think anyone, Apple included, should be able to get a patent for placing a window or many windows on a screen.    ...
  1.  In the very distant future, maybe, but in the immediate distant future, no, because every Blu-ray drive can read both DVDs and CDs and the next generation of 4k or 8k video formats will also still maintain compatibility with DVD and CD.    And long before CDs are resigned to the trash heap of media history, you'll be able to copy them faster and with even more ease than you can already do today.        2.  B.S.    I have CDs that are from the beginning of the...
That's what I've always done.  Usually higher audio quality, gives me a backup to restore from if I have a big hard disk failure, it CAN be passed on to my kids and at least for catalog product, is usually far less expensive with many classic albums going for as little as $3.50.   And that's aside from getting decent liner notes and in some cases, really nice packaging.    However, with Apple eliminating DVD/CD drives from their computers, it puts a little dent in this...
  Not if that's the only "improvement" in the device.     That will be perceived as a big let-down.     People screamed over the 4s because it had so few differences over the 4.   Imagine when the only thing that changes is the connector, which would actually be a pain for people who have accessories with the 30 pin connector.     The change might help Apple's need to be "zen", but how does it help the consumer?    The answer is that it doesn't.     If that's the only...