or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I realize that you're referring to web b.s., but for years, I watched GEICO ads on TV where they claimed to save you "up to 15% or more" and figured they wouldn't save me much of anything.   But after my last insurance increase (which should have been a decrease, since I have no claims and the car is worth less each year), I called GEICO and it cut my insurance bill in half for slightly more coverage!   So you never know.   On the other hand, when I then priced home...
Unless they are able to substantially reduce prices further, the market for the iPod is limited to those people who don't use a smartphone, need another device to play apps and music besides a phone for another household member or don't want the storage limited by email, etc.    As more phone companies adopt data plans which apply to all members of the family but still permit you to purchase a subsidized phone, the iPod becomes moot.   Why pay $200 or more for an iPod when...
Actually, recording engineers (and musicians) have WORSE hearing on average, especially if they've also done live sound mixing as they've damaged their hearing over the years due to monitoring at high sound levels.   I know few musicians who don't have tinnitus.   This is actually one of the reasons so many recordings sound bad as they boost frequencies they can't hear. I'm an ex-recording engineer and I never used headphones in the studio, unlike live radio where we did....
There are many ways to save energy and no one specific right way.   What counts is what a person's total carbon footprint is, not whether they use a dryer or not.   If I didn't use a dryer, clothes would take at least two days to dry and that assumes I would have a place to dry them, which I don't. But on the other hand, I have a small carbon footprint because I live in a relatively small apartment and don't drive very often and I absolutely never have the AC on when I'm...
Bigger pixels do not equal better photos.   But too many pixels in a small space create heat and heat results in noise at high ISOs.   So all things being equal, while higher pixel counts increase resolution, the high pixel density can result in inferior photos, especially in low-light situations, due to the noise, although newer sensors are getting better and better at this.
I think that's ridiculous.   Buyers of Beats simply related to a marketing campaign and/or the product itself and bought what they liked.   It's no different than relating to a car (whether it's a BMW, a Caddy or a tiny electric Smart Car) or just about any other product, including absolutely any Apple product you can name.      I used to buy ties designed by Jerry Garcia.   Did that make me biased?    No, I simply related to and liked the ties and the association.   
Depends upon the size of the building and there are variations depending upon the age of the building.   Some buildings have laundry rooms, as mine does.   It's a 200-unit building and has three rooms.   I like that setup because you can do multiple loads at once.    I've seen a few buildings that have a single washer and dryer on each floor, to be shared by everyone on the floor.   And buildings with larger apartments sometimes have a laundry room within each apartment.  ...
 Maybe, but maybe an equivalent number of different people would have....say if Garth Brooks was the face of Beats.   While I personally don't listen to country music, just on his albums that have sold over 5 million units each, Brooks has sold 116 million units in the U.S. - more than any other artist, including the Beatles (107 million).  
   Amplifiers don't come with EQ, but preamplifiers (except for phono preamps) and receivers (which combine a preamp with a power amp) do come with EQ (or tone controls).   That's because EQ is supposed to be part of the control section of an audio chain.   Phono preamps have a set de-emphasis built-in according to the RIAA phono curve.      You are never listening to the music exactly as intended because you are not listening in the same room and with the same equipment...
 I agree that the B&Ws are pretty spectacular.   They're used as the CD listening station headphones at the new Rough Trade record shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.    I was pretty impressed with them - they were crisp and clean with great but smooth high end and had full, tight bass.   I don't remember which model they were using, but the P3s are $200, the P5s are $300 and the P7 is $400.   Since it was a listening station, I'm going to assume they were probably the P3s....