or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Labor costs are lower than China's.   In any country or region, once businesses mature, economies improve or inflation takes hold, wages naturally go up.   Manufacturing will almost always follow to where labor costs are lowest, providing it doesn't also raise transportation costs.   I think many companies will move from China to India and 20 years from now will probably move from India to African countries, at least those where there's political stability (Tanzania is a...
I think that sites which have or have tried to have a paywall have more than proven that the masses are not willing to pay for quality.But having said that I don't really object to advertising. I object to sites taking my personal data. I don't object to a site tracking my movements on that same site and customizing the ad based upon my clicks. I object to visiting one site and then seeing ads for that site on another site I visit. And I don't trust Google one bit.
Few artists in this industry can make money.  According to the RIAA, in 2011:0.5% of albums sold more than 10,000 copies5.5% of albums sold between 1000 and 10,000 copies14% sold between 100 and 1000 copies80% sold fewer than 100 copies. So 94% of albums released sold less than 1000 copies.And the above number represent only albums that sold at least one copy.    Out of 8 million digital tracks sold in that year, 7.5 million sold less than 100 copies.  I always wondered...
Obviously there's a lot of questions about this and most will probably never be answered, although I suppose Apple will have to say something about it in their annual report.   When AI posted the last video of the construction progress, I thought to myself that there was no way they were completing within 2016, but then I thought that since the panels were built off-site, construction might be very quick once the foundation was in place.   Did specs really change on...
Many DVDs and even Blu-rays, especially for catalog product have been less expensive than the CD soundtrack.   It has always been a strange dichotomy.      Agreed that the labels take the risk and provide capital, if the labels treated the artists fairly.   Also, it's not just the labels that are screwing artists.   Artists basically get screwed by everybody.    I was at an AES meeting last night that discussed copyright and the music industry and some interesting numbers...
I think that's an incredibly big (and wonderful!) issue.   If there is ever an option in Safari to block all display advertising on third-party sites, that's the end of Google.    And the end of Google wouldn't bother me a bit (aside from the layoffs).   I think Google has made so many intrusions on our privacy that they deserve to die. Having said that, if Apple did implement a practical ad blocker, I'm sure Google would find some kind of workaround where you couldn't...
    While I do find that Pandora constantly repeats the same songs, I think library size is an overrated statistic.   What counts is the number of likable songs that come up when you program a streaming station.    In the age of MP3 downloads, consumers turned away from 'deep tracks' to singles because in most cases they didn't feel the non-singles tracks were worthy.   Personally I feel this really hurt artistic achievement in the music market.    In 2014, in the U.S....
I don't see how the new app replaces the old. While the new app looks great from a graphic standpoint and has lots of magazines embedded, it only has selected articles. Didn't they say in the Keynote that the New York Times, for example, would have only 30 articles per day? Newsstand, if you have a NYT subscription, has all the NY Times articles (but not the syndicated features like crosswords, etc.). I'd use the new app, but I'd want to keep the ability to read the...
There's a free app (at least I think it was free) called NYC Transit that has a route planner, the official subway map and gives plenty of info, although it doesn't show the physical entrances to subway stations as Maps is going to.   But it does show the service status of each line and lets you know when routes change or stations are going to be skipped because of construction, etc.    That information is presented poorly, but at least it's there. There's another app...