or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I think that's absurd.   What core competency does Apple have that has anything to do with a vehicle?    And why would Apple even want to be in that business?  Apple is in very high margin businesses.  Cars are very low margin -- there's actually more money in the financing than there is in selling the car.   There's probably a greater potential margin in expensive cars like the Tesla, but Tesla has only built 7000 cars.  And do you think Apple would compete with Tesla?...
If Apple decided to become an MSO (a cable company equivalent), I think they could solve it because they wouldn't necessarily be burdened with the contractual structures of the past.   With the cable companies, the cable networks make them take channels they don't really want in order to get the channels they do want.   Apple could put a stop to that.   And while I wrote in a previous post that unbundling probably wouldn't work, there is a scheme where they could assign...
Theoretically, unbundling would be great, but as a recent New York Times article pointed out with reference to the airlines and hotels, unbundling of fees has increased the total amount people must spend, not decreased it.   And it's really annoying getting nickel and dimed to death. So if your cable provider (or Apple or anyone) charges $5 per channel per month, while that sounds reasonable, you could easily wind up paying the same amount or more for many fewer channels....
 Yes, you're correct.    I took the previous poster's question about bit rate to be about bit depth.    But everything else I wrote still applies.   
 Bit rate and sample rate are two different things.   In standard RedBook CD recording, the bit rate is 16 bits.  The sample rate is 44.1KHz.    The sample rate is how many times per second the analog waveform is sampled ("reading taken").   A sample rate of 44.1KHz can provide a frequency response up to 22KHz.   Most adults can't hear much over 15KHz.   Most LPs, which are all the rage now because of their supposedly superior quality, are filtered above 16KHz.  ...
 I don't think Steve Jobs cared one iota about cost per square foot.   Show me one bit of documented evidence that he did.   This is the guy who put in glass staircases that cost many $millions and who paid for the cube outside the NYC Fifth Avenue store himself.  
And that's why there isn't a lounge area and maybe shouldn't be.   An Apple Store isn't your office.   If you make it so and  you're using the machines, then someone who wants to demo a machine for the purpose of actually buying one is going to have to wait. If you're just using the store for WiFi, there's plenty of other places to do that. If Apple wants to setup the equivalent of the computer/printer section of FedEx Office (Kinko's), that would be fine in the larger...
All a higher bit rate accomplishes is a better level accuracy as if 65,535 different potential levels within 96db or so of dynamic range potential capability wouldn't be enough. And with most recordings today, there is so little dynamic range that it will make absolutely no difference. On a solo classical violin performance, maybe, but I doubt anyone but a trained musician could tell the difference.You're talking a resolution far greater than that capable on a mixing...
People will prefer louder all else being equal. Many studies have proven this. Back in the early 70s, I sold audio equipment at Korvettes, a long defunct New York area department chain store. Even there we had a patch board to compare two speakers in which you could equalize levels, otherwise it's not a fair comparison.While the Radio Shack switcher may be a piece of junk, it's not going to colorize the sound. It either connects the analog signal or it doesn't.Even...