or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Bit rate and sample rate are two different things.   In standard RedBook CD recording, the bit rate is 16 bits.  The sample rate is 44.1KHz.    The sample rate is how many times per second the analog waveform is sampled ("reading taken").   A sample rate of 44.1KHz can provide a frequency response up to 22KHz.   Most adults can't hear much over 15KHz.   Most LPs, which are all the rage now because of their supposedly superior quality, are filtered above 16KHz.  ...
 I don't think Steve Jobs cared one iota about cost per square foot.   Show me one bit of documented evidence that he did.   This is the guy who put in glass staircases that cost many $millions and who paid for the cube outside the NYC Fifth Avenue store himself.  
And that's why there isn't a lounge area and maybe shouldn't be.   An Apple Store isn't your office.   If you make it so and  you're using the machines, then someone who wants to demo a machine for the purpose of actually buying one is going to have to wait. If you're just using the store for WiFi, there's plenty of other places to do that. If Apple wants to setup the equivalent of the computer/printer section of FedEx Office (Kinko's), that would be fine in the larger...
All a higher bit rate accomplishes is a better level accuracy as if 65,535 different potential levels within 96db or so of dynamic range potential capability wouldn't be enough. And with most recordings today, there is so little dynamic range that it will make absolutely no difference. On a solo classical violin performance, maybe, but I doubt anyone but a trained musician could tell the difference.You're talking a resolution far greater than that capable on a mixing...
People will prefer louder all else being equal. Many studies have proven this. Back in the early 70s, I sold audio equipment at Korvettes, a long defunct New York area department chain store. Even there we had a patch board to compare two speakers in which you could equalize levels, otherwise it's not a fair comparison.While the Radio Shack switcher may be a piece of junk, it's not going to colorize the sound. It either connects the analog signal or it doesn't.Even...
Chip and PIN has not been popular in the U.S., the former because the retailers didn't want to spend the money on new terminals and the latter because it's an extra step in the process (although debit card users have to enter a PIN today), but that's all changing because after the security breaches at Target, Home Depot and other retailers, the credit card companies have told the retailers they have to change their terminals by some upcoming date (I think it's this year)...
You've got it exactly right.   That's the key issue.   Except when there is substantial differentiation in a new model, people are not going to run out to buy it each year or even every other year when you have to pay regular prices.   Even subsidized, I'm shocked at the number of people who update every two years (or even every year).     I'm typing this on a late 2008 MacBook Pro that still works perfectly.  It's only seeming limitation is that it's not powerful/fast...
 (Again, I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I have designed software that details and clears rights, so I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.) I don't think anyone is getting paid yet for pre-1972 digital performance rights under state law as all the cases are in the process of being appealed.     And yes, if the claimants win, and the writer and performer are the same, they would receive both publishing and performing fees, but note that only some performers own...
If you're talking only about "hits" and hits as songs that made the charts, you're not talking about that many songs:   between 1955 and 1999 only 23,144 songs made the Billboard Pop charts, although that doesn't include album tracks that weren't singles and didn't make the charts, "turntable hits", or songs that made the R&B/Soul, Country or Jazz charts that didn't make the Pop charts.    If we prorate that for 1955-1972, it's probably under 8000 songs.  If you take those...
While it might be good for a few things, this seeming desire to manipulate virtual objects with finger motions in the air seems absurd. Try holding your arm up in the air for extended periods of time while moving your fingers - it's actually stressful. Furthermore, accuracy has to be quite poor. Windows laptops that also happen to have a touch screen tend to drive me nuts - if I'm pointing at something on the screen to make a point to someone else, the screen thinks...