or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Ever since Apple announced the new building, that they were going to keep the current campus and the construction of all the server farms, I have speculated that Apple was going to enter completely new business areas and one primary area would be robotics. My prediction is that in 15-20 years, Apple's primary business will be robotics.
It's only our macho pride that thinks this apology is a bad thing.    I think Apple's arrogance has always caused them to think that their way of doing things can override local laws in any country.   Even though the Chinese media barrage was obviously triggered by the  Chinese Government (Apple probably pissed some official off), there was at least some merit to their claims.   Apple issuing a piece of paper has probably save them several $billion in sales.    There...
I call B.S. as well. Apple probably told Gascon this as an excuse not to add the requested functionality to the next few phones. "Oh...we can't do that, they're already designed." It sounds like something I might say to a client: "Oh..well the roadmap is already locked for this year. We'll consider that enhancement for next year." Also, I suspect Apple was loathe to even consider any change based on the request of one D.A. from one city. Apple doesn't make...
In my local Best Buy, the Apple "mini store" is nothing more than a table or two with some Apple signage.   The computers usually don't have web access, so there's not much you can do on them.   In other words, it's back to the sorry state of demonstrating Apple that was one of the primary reasons that led Apple to start its own retail store operation in the first place.        When Apple opened up sales to the big chains like BB, WalMart and others, I understood why...
Since the lawsuit seems bogus, but Apple could lose in the Chinese courts anyway, they should simply threaten to stop manufacturing in China and that they'll move manufacturing to India or Vietnam instead. China is not going to want to lose those jobs, even if they are low paying and awful. Unless, they could pay this company off for relatively very small amounts of money.
It only makes sense if Apple can also offer 4K content. Sony had to "lend" the buyers of their 4K 84" $25,000 TV a hard drive with about 20 movies on it. Also, while "4K" and/or "UHD" or "Retina HD" will be great for marketing, for the purposes of movies, you really aren't going to see a difference unless the set is at least 55" and maybe not even at that size. You'll notice that all of the current 4K models are larger sizes. But if Apple is secretly signing deals...
  Why would it ever be as good as a face-to-face conversation?   In a live face-to-face conversation, there's no analog to digital conversion, no quantization, no compression, no limited frequency response and unless you're using a video call app, you can't read someone's lips or expression, which actually adds quite a bit to comprehension.   Except in the areas of noise (tape hiss, etc.), audio quality over the years as we've converted to digital media has gotten worse,...
Well, it depends upon what the taxes and fees are.    My AT&T plan, grandfathered unlimited, including taxes and fees costs about $81 per month + $200 for the 16GB phone (I actually paid $300 for the 32GB phone).   So over 20 months that's $1820.      The T-Mobile plan is $50 for 500MB, which could come to $60 with taxes and fees.   With the phone that's $1699, only a $121 difference over the life of the plan.    The unlimited plan is $70 a month, let's say $80 with...
I think Woz' brilliance and honesty comes across in this video. I think he was a quite different person in those early days than he is today (but so am I). Seeing just these few minutes of video is far more satisfying than I suspect any of the upcoming Apple/Jobs bio movies are going to be.
Doesn't VAT also come into play here?  Australian VAT is 10%.   There is no Federal VAT tax in the United States (although there are State and local sales taxes which are generally from 7% to 9%, but if you're ordering online, you only pay them if "shipping" to a State where the company also has a physical location.     That's considered "nexus".    However many States consider you to have nexus if you have any affiliates in the State.   That's how New York State forced...