or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

- It's not "certify", it's "adoption". - Only half the states are Adoption States, mostly in the south and west, but it includes California, Texas and Florida which are the three biggest buyers of textbooks, so in traditional el-hi textbook publishing, whatever those states want (or don't want), the whole country gets. - Adoption is only at the K-12 level and only public schools - it has nothing to do with college texts. - I'm not sure that making the textbooks free would...
$450?? That would be great. I thought they made $130 a month. But as for the "troll", his point is not invalid. Big U.S. companies are recording record profits and record market cap values. Is it fair that companies (and their executives) are rich when even the middle class hasn't seen increases in real wages in something like 20 years? As for the very poor, unless successful large companies invest in training and educating uneducated people, there's going to be a...
He was intelligent and thoughtful, but he still almost killed Apple. During his tenure (and after, until Jobs returned), Apple had a number of serious problems:- during the early part of Sculley's tenure, they released very few machines in the Mac line: Jobs left in October of 1985, so let's not blame Sculley for 1986. But in 1987, Apple released only an updated version of the Apple IIe and three Macs: a II, II/40MBHD and an SE. In 1988, they released a very...
never mind
Regardless of whose version of the story is more accurate, I think it is in extremely bad taste for Sculley to wait until Jobs dies to claim he never fired Jobs. And whether he fired Jobs or caused his life to be so miserable that he felt he had to leave doesn't really matter. The fact is that Apple was far worse off without Jobs than with him in spite of Jobs' antics at the time and the fact that his failures at Next (and successes at Pixar) matured him and made him a...
Has construction actually started on the spaceship? How far along are they? Just land clearing or is there the beginnings of any structure?
B.S. No one reasonable who understands business in any way thinks patents are evil. What they might think is evil is the way the patents are improperly awarded and the violation of the concept that ideas are not patentable, only the implementation of the idea. One of the most obvious examples of the ridiculous application of patents is giving Amazon a patent for "one-click", which Apple had to license from Amazon. And I've heard (although can't document) about...
Yes, but if Apple is smart (and they usually are), they'll significantly change the design of the next round of MacBook Airs, so that all of these copycats will look like they've copied an outdated machine. Some other posters have pointed out specific items that aren't like Apple's, like the hinge, but that doesn't matter. It's clear that the intent is to make the machine look like a MacBook Air just as it's clear that most of the manufacturers make Smart Phones...
Those so-called discounters while they have a reputation for good prices actually don't. For products that I would buy, whether it's orange juice or electronics, they are priced much higher in Target and WalMart than such NYC-based independent, non-chain retailers such as J&R and B&H. Sure, they'll put a few products on deep discount to grab you in the store, but overall, their prices actually suck. And while I avoid both Target and Wal-Mart, I do perceive a big...
The problem is that the places that are high traffic are not the places that are "hip" and vice-versa. So where do you put the store? Borough President Marty Markowitz was pushing for an Apple store on Court Street, but that particular shopping district can be kind of seedy, even though it's surrounded by wonderful cast-iron towers and brownstones. Park Slope's 7th Avenue or 5th Avenue would target the right market, but it's not high density. Same for Montague...