or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Total b.s. Serious crime in NYC is at its lowest level in 40 years. Thefts are up, but it's mostly phones and pads.
  Congratulations on your very good taste and emotional maturity.
Both brilliant in their own way and both terribly flawed in their own way. But both are types who only come along once in a generation, if that. But I also think that CBS News is making too much of a big deal of Gates' "emotional moment", which was so brief that you had to stop the frame to see it.
I actually don't understand why Apple has to negotiate with the record companies at all.    I was under the impression that Congress has mandated rates for digitally delivered streaming music via the Library of Congress and Sound Exchange manages all this.    I personally think Sound Exchange's rates are absurdly high and they almost put Pandora out of business, but it's there.    I thought you HAD to go through Sound Exchange.    I do know that Sirius/XM does not use the...
What taxes do they pay when they make products? NoneWhat taxes do they pay when they issue dividends? None that I'm aware of. It's the receiver of the dividend who pays taxes.The only taxes Apple pays when they pay employees is their share of Social Security and Medicare. Those aren't income taxes.They presumably pay taxes on earnings but most Fortune 500 companies find a way not to.So, while I have no idea how much In income taxes Apple pays, it is not necessarily...
Disagree about the simplicity factor. Making it non-repairable makes it harder to manufacture because components have to be glued, etc.Isn't it easier to just plug in a drive, battery or memory rather than making it permanent and hard to access
It's not the same at all. When you speed, you break the law. The fine is because of that.Apple's strategy is not breaking current law, but it is breaking the spirit of the purpose of the tax code and the economy.Almost no Fortune 500 companies pay Federal taxes most years. This is why the country is broke. Our Congress, especially Republicans, are like Leona Helmsly. She said, "pay taxes? Only the little people pay taxes," but she went to jail for it (for not...
I've only tried a Windows phone in a store for a few minutes. Maybe I'd hate it, but at least during a short demo and use, it seemed fine to me. And among the people in my office, I see more Android phones than iPhones. The reality is that for most of the things that people do with a smartphone, especially those people who either because of cost or lack of need, haven't bought a smartphone as yet, just about any phone will suffice. What do most people want to do most...
  Yes, so instead we should become Beijing, where the air is so bad, people don't go outside anymore and those that do wear face masks, and where many international schools are basically inside domes with massive air filtration systems so that the kids can survive without having severe bronchial problems before age 10.   Why do car people always think that the car should take priority over pedestrians and bicyclists?    Especially on new roads and reconstructed roads,...
Unless I'm misinterpreting the document, Apple is "recommending" the addition of bike baths on the public streets surrounding the campus, which means they expect the city to build them, not that they're willing to build them or even fund them. Also, the document says the current campus has 4844 employees with a capacity of 8400. I thought they were "stuffed to the gills" at the current campus and were leasing tons of outside space. They also talk about "net new...