or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

They're not a mile away. They are far, but it's more like photographing an athlete in a sports stadium. And they're shooting with 400mm, 500mm or 600mm lenses, frequently with an extender that makes the lens double that length. In addition, they're not using an optical zoom (which electronically zooms). They're using an actual physical zoom where the lens elements move. Optical zooms give terrible results, because in essence, it's a crop. And in a cell phone camera,...
I agree with the first poster: this is all a tremendous waste of time and screen space. It might be one thing if someone finds some really obscure but useful product or service, but what purpose does it serve to send people on a Facebook list (or to post on one's wall) a photo and information about an Apple product? Do you really think "your friends" don't already know about it? You might as well send them a photo of a can of tuna fish. We've become completely...
No, I don't think this guy is being over-paranoid. Would you let anyone into your house to search who did not identify themselves as a law-officer? If a search was conducted and it wasn't by the SFPD themselves, it seems to me it's pretty obvious that Apple's security person identified themselves as SFPD or another law enforcement agency. And that, most definitely, is a violation of the law, if that's what indeed happened. The question that comes to my mind...
Exactly. Back in the 1960s, most of the big rock stars moved out of the UK and some even gave up British citizenship, so they could move elsewhere and pay lower taxes. Back then, the highest marginal rate in the UK was about 90%. That's why George Harrison wrote the song "Taxman". However, there are several ways one could look at U2's decision to register aspects of their corporation in the Netherlands. - it doesn't matter: corporations should do whatever is...
Sorry, I think you're incorrect on just about all counts. The average wage of a manufacturing worker in China is about $130 a month. Let's say they double that to $260 a month. At a Federal U.S. minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, an employee who works 48 weeks per year will earn $1160 a month. However, the company also has to pay the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare, so that adds about another 7%, bringing the total to $1241 a month. If the employer...
The lawyers can threaten all kinds of things, but Apple was heavy-handed and wrong in getting eBay to cancel the sale because of copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights. The only legit case is that it is stolen property. And since they're "negotiating" the return, they obviously are going to pay this guy something - I suspect they'll give him some free hardware. Apple would have to prove that this guy did not come into the laptop legitmately. ...
Not for ANY singular noun. It depends upon how it's pronounced according to this rule:
Abandoning a child means you leave the child in the street or in a police station and split. Putting your child up for adoption and finding a loving home for your child when you know you can't raise it yourself is usually a difficult, selfless and giving act. Which do you think is better for the child? Living with a parent who is unable to raise the child and therefore may be subject to either incredibly poor and possibly dangerous living conditions or living with an...
The main problem I have with the ribbon in Windows is that you can't add your own icons/functions to it the way you could in earlier Windows interfaces. For example, in Word, I like to have the crossout and small caps formatting options up there for quick access. In Excel, I added extra default border options. In Mac OS, I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my own control over my file organization. I don't think I want the file system hidden. But I do agree that many...
There's a big difference between being a millionaire (in terms of assets) and earning a $ million a year. Big difference. If you're a millionaire at 50, big deal. If you retire and you expect to live until 80, that leaves you with a big $33,000 a year. If you do it at 60 and expect to live another 20 years, that's only $50K per year. And if that's money invested in a pre-tax 401K or the like, you'll have to pay taxes as you withdraw the money.If however, you...