or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Yes, it's true that Obama has been losing support on the left, but that's because he's moved so far to the right and seems to completely cave on every fight with the Republicans. I agree that his road to re-election will be tough. Obama's problem is that many will vote for anyone who is "not-Obama" (or sit out the election) because they're disappointed in his performance, even though whoever is "not-Obama" will support policies they disagree with even more. But...
Really? Do you think a U.S. President of any party is really going to show Apple favoritism because he/she received a $500 electronic device? A large campaign contribution...maybe. Would you rather the POTUS purchased such a device with taxpayer money? The White House has received such gifts for decades or more. I seem to remember that back in the 1960s, Avery Fisher donated a state of the art sound system. Was that a bribe too? And why do I feel like you...
Since bonuses get paid as salary, it's subject to withholding, he'll net about $871,000 of that. I suspect he'll pay 35% in Federal Withholding and 1.4% in Medicare. I assume he's already "maxed out" on Social Security payments and his 401K for the year. There's no State Tax in Washington. Don't know if there are any local income taxes where he lives. He probably doesn't have to pay Health Insurance on the bonus. Personally, Ballmer's personality has always...
I don't see how the increased number of carriers helps anything because those carriers are available today to anyone who wants to buy an iPhone 4. Furthermore, the users who bought a phone to use on those newest carriers in the last year are probably the least likely people to buy the iPhone 5, since they just bought their phones and would have to pay a much higher price to upgrade. Of course, there's also those potential customers who have been holding off...
The inefficiency doesn't bother me - I actually think it's a benefit because all urban environments need more open space. But the price for that open space in this case is that it's a completely isolated environment from the rest of Cupertino. I think this was done partially because of Apple's paranoia about security and partially simply because it's consistent with the concept of a suburban corporate campus. Although it's been years since I've been to Cupertino,...
Keep dreaming. There is no building planned on this campus for manufacturing. And the plan submitted to the local approval board has to include everything they're planning to build. There is an underground and a separate garage, a power plant, a separate set of buildings for research & development, an auditorium, etc.
The story went that he paid for this himself because the Board wouldn't approve the original expenditure. Jobs apparently really wanted it and agreed to pay for it himself. I don't know the answers to your other questions and I don't know what happened to the glass that was taken out. Technically, I would assume Jobs owns that glass and could resell it to get back what he invested if he wanted to.
The reason why Netflix doesn't have all that content available for streaming is because either the content owners don't want it streamed or because the price the content owners want for streaming via Netflix is more than Netflix wants to pay. This is not Netlfix thinking, "we don't want to stream this because of X".
An Apple II with two floppy drives (no hard disk) and monochrome monitor was about $2K, as I remember it, which is probably about $4K in 2011 dollars and education bought them in droves, so the $500 price shouldn't be an issue. Print textbooks are also very expensive. But having said that, while this might be a great tool for college students, I would be a little more wary for elementary schools students who need to learn to read and need to put pen to paper, which...
That was very well done. And that's probably where we are eventually headed (although, except perhaps for the thinness, there would be severe engineering constraints on implementing the other features - like projecting a keyboard is one thing, but being able to respond to key-presses from a projected image is quite another). But I do like the way these guys think - Apple should hire them.