or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I disagree. If Daisey did a show about the "Pear" computer company, whose contractors treated their employees badly and he made the situation worse than the reality in order to make a point (as most media does), that's fair game. When a stand-up comic exaggerates issues in order to make a point (or in order to make it funnier), that's fair game too, so if a comic does a riff on Steve Jobs or on what they perceive as a typical Apple fanboy, etc., that's fair game even...
And because of the schooling that Steve Jobs received there. And because of the associations Jobs fell into with people like Steve Wozniak. And because they received funding from people who thought they had something valuable. And because HP was there. And because the Homebrew Computer Club was there. And because Stanford was there. And because Xerox PARC was there. And because the culture there was more than football and guns. So all those things...
I disagree. Amateurs can do lots of interesting things on the iPad and the value proposition of the incredibly inexpensive applications for the iPad is unbelievably high. But for serious work, IMO, you still need a powerful computer with a full and tactile keyboard and a mouse or other pointing device aside from the touch pad. The iPad is certainly fun, but I can't do serious work on it. Typing on it hurts my hands. For an exec who just wants to check...
I'm not one to defend Apple in all circumstances -- I think they do plenty wrong. But they're not wrong in this case. You might not like the Agency model, but it's perfectly legitimate. However, what really makes no sense in terms of the Dept of Justice going after Apple on this is that the Supreme Court ruled several years ago that manufacturers can not only enforce minimum advertised prices, but also enforce minimum selling prices (even though I personally...
No. A mark is in conflict if it caused confusion. If it's ruled they can't use "iPad", then they won't be able to use "eyePad".
Let's not be so fast to blame Kodak and assume Apple is correct on this one. Apple's Quick Take 100 was released in January of 1994, according to Mactracker. Although not for the consumer market (because they were so expensive), Kodak previously had a joint venture with Nikon to produce pro digital cameras. The first one was called the Kodak/Nikon DCS, cost $25,000 and was released in 1990. Kodak took Nikon's film cameras and modified them to handle a digital...
Absolutely. I don't understand this anal-compulsive need by users to eliminate the line they don't necessarily care about. You prefer a small-screen Air with a lesser processor? Fine...buy that. I prefer a fully-featured 15" or 17" pro. And although it's pretty obvious they're going to eliminate the optical drive in the Pro, I think that is a very bad move. I still need and want that drive for a variety of reasons. And I also still need a very high capacity...
I think Apple's got something up its sleeve that they haven't revealed as yet. It seems to me that all this server space they're building is not just for iTunes or Apps or even a future Apple TV. There's something else going on. However, for all the greatness that Apple has achieved recently, this was all in the pipeline before Steve left us. The big question is are we going to see evolutionary change or revolutionary change after the pipeline products are...
There's usually two classes of stock to separate "preferred shareholders" from common stock holders. I own a number of preferreds (of other stocks). But I wasn't aware that there were two classes of Apple stock, so this statement surprises me.
Yes, but under U.S. law (may not apply to content not copyrighted in the U.S.), websites and online companies must responsibly respond to "take-down" notices. While this process can be misused, the best thing for any company to do is to take the content down until ownership is resolved. I haven't looked at the app store licensing terms recently, but my bet is that developers have to indemnify Apple against any such claims. I'm sure these authors simply see a rich...