or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Good point. Let's bring back slavery as long as the slaves aren't exposed to environmental hazards. It would be so much more convenient today because we can buy/sell slaves on eBay.
Not buying it. For one thing, you don't need one employee per product display. One employee might be able to cover 20 product displays. Secondly, there are plenty of people who simply cannot interpret specs from a screen - that's why they're in the store in the first place. If they were able to understand everything about a product by reading a screen, chances are they would have ordered online or walked in and asked to buy the product. People who aren't tech...
Regardless of whether the incidence of explosions in Chinese factories is greater or lesser than average, this is still a tragedy. And even though Foxconn does contract with many other companies other than Apple, this will be reported by the press as an explosion at an Apple factory and Apple will wind up taking some of the blame, especially if it's discovered that the "polishing" operation had anything to do with the manufacture of Apple products. To the general...
Unions are imperfect, but I would argue that with ever-declining wages and ever-increasing reports of unfair management behavior, unions are needed more in certain industries, not less. Especially as many non-unionized companies are trying to get away with paying little more than minimum wage. And they're also needed in cases where safety is a huge issue, like coal mines. The negative aspects of unions are when they try to institute absurd work rules, restrict...
I expect nothing in the stores for the 10th anniversary. Jobs has said on more than one occassion that he never looks back, doesn't care about the history of Apple, doesn't care about museum exhibitions of old computers, etc. If one only looks forward, then an anniversary doesn't mean anything. And as for the poster who thinks that Apple retail is some kind of left-wing conspiracy, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Apple retail is a perfect implementation...
Most other companies in this economy would KILL for a 9% year over year growth.
This has virtually nothing to do with the RIAA. If copies are made, Apple needs to acquire both sync licenses from the label and probably a publishing license from the publisher of each song. The RIAA would only get involved if all the member companies wanted to sue Apple or another vendor. The problem is that regardless of whether Apple (or any of the companies) store one copy of a song and use your playlists to trigger that copy to your device or whether it's simply a...
I've worked with Apple computers since 1980, have always been a fan (even during the bad times) and always knew they would ultimately be successful, but even I thought the retail stores were largely unnecessary and would be a failure, especially in large cities where there was an existing network of dealers already selling Apple. And I say this even though I recognized that most (but certainly not all) retail did a lousy job of presenting Apple to consumers. (To be...
That's B.S. What got the best of them was the fact that as with most media, crappy free generally beats quality that costs money. Also, as a country that primarily drives rather than uses public transportation, people don't read newspapers and if they consume news at all, they get it from TV or from Google news. But even TV news has been losing ratings for years and news radio does nothing more than present headlines. The fact is that for all the thousands of news...
Disclaimer: I'm not a tax accountant or expert on this. Long term are assets held over one year. Essentially, short term capital gains are now taxed at the same rate as your ordinary income, which is based upon your total taxable income. (I think it used to be 24%). Long term capital gains carry no tax if you're in the 10% or 15% tax bracket and are taxed at 15% if you're in the 25% to 35% tax bracket. All these rates are scheduled to rise for the 2013 tax...