or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Once again, ridiculousness.    You're not supposed to be able to obtain a patent on ideas, only on a methodology for implementation.    So there should be no patent on rotating screen displays.   There should be a patent on a particular non-obvious method of achieving it.   So if you have some sort of gyroscope or a liquid switch or whatever, that should be patentable.   But not the idea that the screen rotates and pixels are moved from one place to another.   And...
I put a fusion drive in my late 2008 MacBook Pro laptop last year.   It's a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB drive.  Not sure if mine has a 16MB or 32MB cache.  I'm also not sure whether the Apple OS is making use of it the same way the new Macs do, but it does seem faster than the 7200RPM smaller drive that I had purchased with the machine.  I bought it primarily because I needed more disc space, but since I was buying a new drive anyway, decided to go with the hybrid.   This...
  I don't get it.  How would any system know whether anyone voted yet or not?    While the Board of Elections knows that by my signing the book, is that information public?
  I think what happened is that the political leaders on the right as well as the right-wing pundits live in a very insulated world.    The ones we see on TV are rich, part of an elite group, male dominated (in spite of the female pundits on Fox) and they only talk to each other.    So when everyone you know feels the same way you extrapolate that to the whole country and thereby completely misinterpret what's going on.  That's why the polls seemed wrong to them.   I...
Personally, I find this very hard to believe. Making LCDs is a very low-margin business. The traditional Japanese manufacturers, like Sony and Panasonic, are all losing money at it even though everything except their top line sets (and sometimes even those) are manufactured in China, Mexico and other low-wage countries. So I don't see how Foxconn can successfully operate manufacturing in the U.S. even if they got away with paying minimum wage and with keeping the unions...
  While some of the problem seems to be QA issues, you do not build a supply chain to handle peak demand - you build it for average demand.   Otherwise when demand declines or near the end of a model life, you're stuck with tons of expensive unused capacity, even if it's a third-party contractor.     Just as it always has, this will all settle down by another eight weeks.     From a marketing perspective, it works very well  - inability to get a phone creates demand for...
The day they launch a desktop mouseless OS is the day I will never buy an Apple computer again.   The trackpad is great, but it doesn't replace the mouse when you want to work efficiently for people who do real work.   I don't care whether Apple supplies the mouse as long as it still works.     Apple has to get over its arrogance and realize that different people work in different ways and what's best for one person is not necessariy what's best for another.    They need...
  Sorry, there's absolutely no indication that Cook is blaming anything on Jobs.   And people at Apple seem to stick around in spite of the fact that they already have more money than they will need for the rest of their lives.       However, the fact that they are so generous with their senior executives (according to AI, Browett had $60 million in stock options, although most didn't vest yet) is part of the problem.   Although they probably feel they need it to attract...
I'm actually positive about these changes. It means that Apple/Cook is not going to stand by when the market or they themselves recognize that mistakes have been made. My only concern is giving Ive too much responsibility where he could be spread too thin. Also, the issue with Maps was more of a development issue than a UI issue and since dumping Google Maps was largely driven by politics (although also by the fact that Apple wanted turn-by-turn), the Maps fiasco...
The expectations placed on Apple are completely absurd.   Most mass-market consumer oriented companies have margins in the 10% range.    Furthermore, Apple releases a projection, they beat it, but because some analyst projected even higher, the stock falls.     Then I hear some idiot on TV complaining that Apple hasn't come up with another completely new game-changing product line as yet as if this is something that all companies do every day instead of once in a...