or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

That's not what killed the Newton.   What killed the Newton was that the big marketing push for the device was for handwriting recognition and it did that extremely poorly.   So people laughed at it.   It was also pretty expensive, but if the handwriting recognition had worked (or if it had an embedded keyboard), it probably would have been relatively successful as the Palm was later on. 
I disagree that the iPad mini is useless.    Try holding the regular iPad on a subway or the equivalent and compare it to the Mini.    The difference in weight is the important factor in situations where you're not resting the iPad on anything.     In the case of the iPhone, weight is not a factor and the tiny differences in screen sizes are not going to change the experience much.    Therefore, I don't think that we're going to see new models in different sizes. 
I don't buy the multiple sizes either. It's totally unnecessary and complicates matters for application developers. Frankly, because most people use a case for their iPhone, I'm not sure how important multiple colors are until such time as Apple made an iPhone that was indestructible enough that it didn't need a case.
  Well, if you have a ton of cash, you could always buy American and get a Sub-Zero built-in.    24" counter depth and as little as 30" width.  Separate compressors for the refrigerator and freezer compartments.    Interchangeable panels.   But it will set you back around $8K.    It's like the Apple tax.   
The fact is that the vast majority of the most popular feature films in the last ten years were shot 2.4:1.    (I used to argue as you did, but someone challenged me on this and I did the research and I realized they were correct:  In 2001, 56% of the top 100 films were 2.35:1.  In 2011, 68% of the top 100 films were 2.35:1.)       The reason why we got stuck with 16:9 is because it was the most common shape between 4:3 SD television and 2.35:1.   It was determined by a...
  Cable companies will not be reduced to renting and servicing their pipes.   The cable networks are not going to give up that revenue stream.    For most people, it's still far easier to tune in a live channel than to enter URLs or search for bookmarks, especially on TV interfaces where there's no keyboard.        I don't know why people refuse to understand that while one technology may partially cannibalize another, it generally doesn't replace it.    Road warriors and...
  While I agree that the NYPD does violate personal liberties, simply taking the serial # of your iPhone is no big deal -- they do the same thing for bicycles for which they also provide a free engraving service.     However, why the police are targeting the line of people who haven't actually bought their iPhones yet doesn't quite makes sense to me.   Wouldn't it have made more sense to target the people coming out of the store with a new iPhone in their...
Practically useless except on parts of the few lines indicated (which is obviously why they're doing those first) since it won't work underground. And it's certainly not needed for the Shuttle because there is ALWAYS a shuttle in each of the two stations, ready to go (and it won't work anyway, because it's underground). Furthermore, as they build out the "next train coming" tech, they're putting electronic signs in the stations that tell you this, just as they have on...
  It matters because when the idiot analysts make stupid predictions, it affects the stock price, which affects their predictions, which affects their stock price, which is why you see big shifts from day to day.   With any company, unless the company has issued an earnings report or the cost of some resource that the company needs has changed drastically (like a sudden increase in the price of electricity or oil), there is actually no reason whatsoever for there to be...
I doubt that the three point difference in rating from last year to this year is statistically significant. And I also agree that bad ratings can be much more than about the site. Some people choose to be negative about any company they choose not to like and other people will downrate the site if they have any complaint about Apple in general. And I bet some people downrate the Apple.com site because they don't like iTunes. Having said that, browsing for products on...