or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I'm going to have to vote down as well.    Apple Geniuses should not be necessary to figure out how to perform basic functions of Apple's software, which is supposed to be easy to use.     Unless the idea of the ad was to make "older" people, and by older, I mean people 35-45, feel like they should need help from a Genius.   IMO, the ad should have shown that using Apple software is so easy, the Geniuses aren't needed.   You could have had a situation where the...
  Apple missed nothing but the insane estimates by idiot analysts.  They exceeded their own estimates.  Now let's see how badly they did.   They beat the same quarter previous year by only $6.4 BILLION DOLLARS of revenue and they beat the same quarter previous year by $1.5 BILLION in earnings.   Boo hoo.   Apple is failing.    Most companies would kill to have revenue equivalent to Apple's year over year increase.    Apple is the only company whose stock drops when they...
Personally, I think Win 7 is the disaster.    I have to use it at one of my clients and it's very problematic.  Maybe it's configuration issues, but it drives me crazy.   Whenever I have large documents in Visio or Word, the whole system hangs up every time it does an auto Save and it takes forever to do the autosave.     If I delete files from my USB key, the filenames disappear right away as they always did, but if I delete files from the hard disk, the filenames stay...
  Most geniuses have had personality quirks that have made them unlikable.     Einstein was reputed to be terrible to his wife and after his initial breakthroughs unable to come to terms with other advances in the field.   Picasso was terrible to all the women he supposedly loved.     John Lennon had a mean streak, especially in his younger days.    He treated his first wife like crap and pretty much abandoned his first son Julian.       I also think most geniuses "don't...
I disagree.    The banking industry actually does a pretty good job in terms of most consumer facing services:    ATMs, online banking, teller services, etc.    In fact, when ATMs became ubiquitous, it was assumed that the banking industry would greatly reduce the number of branches and the number of personnel within a branch, but the opposite has happened.    In some cities, branches of the same bank prop up on opposite street corners and in-person banking hours have...
      You could have said the same thing about the iPod and the iPhone.   Apple's strength is in combining well-designed hardware with a software eco-system.     Instead of the crap applications that come with most TVs (ever try to input a web address with a typical TV remote control?) imagine if an Apple TV supported the use of apps - whether apps unique to the TV or apps the same or similar to iPhone/iPad apps in another open marketplace.        And the cable companies...
If you work for yourself, you pretty much don't need Word/Excel unless you're frequently exchanging complex documents with those who use it, but if you work/consult for large companies, you definitely need Office.    When I bought my last Mac about four years ago, I bought a copy of iWork figuring I would phase out my personal use of Office, but it never happened.   I rarely use the Apple apps even though  Numbers does have that one really nice feature where you can...
  Not Apple, but Amazon got a patent for "one-click" which Apple was forced to license.  IMO, the idea of making one click to purchase an item is nothing more than that - an obvious idea.    No more special, unique or patentable than the express line at the supermarket.   Amazon shouldn't have been able to patent that.  But they did and the courts found it valid (incorrectly in my opinion).      I see lots of patents for things like "storing a file".      This is all...
I'm glad to hear that it looks like they're keeping the theatre.   I really thought they would get rid of it in favor of one-on-one training.   Soho had always been my favorite NYC Apple store because of the theatre.  It (in the store before the remodeling) was at the top of the stairs and open so you could pop in for a few minutes, walk out if it got boring, come back,   etc.      Kudos to Apple for keeping it.   If it now has more seats, either the theatre got pushed...
The name of this site is Apple Insider.   It's not Apple Tech Insider.    As far as I'm concerned, anything of note relating to Apple fits the bill.  The fact that movies are being made about Steve Jobs is quite relevant as it adds to the perception that Apple is a very important company.    I bet that other "wanna be" tech companies start competing to have films made about them.     I wouldn't be surprised if the ones with huge sums of cash actually fund such a film.  ...