or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

That's what I thought. Only I thought they did it remotely. Because people go on there and text, IM, download mail, take their own pictures, type documents, etc. And while I can understand that Apple probably doesn't want anyone to download and/or install software on the demo computers, I've never seen a sign specifically stating that you can't. Furthermore, the stores that I've been in do have a batch of point and shoot cameras on display that are hooked up to...
Edison didn't patent the IDEA of the light bulb, he patented a specific implementation of a light bulb using a vacuum, tungsten, glass, etc. Michelin didn't invent the IDEA of a tire ("a round device that's firm but also somewhat squishy that fits over a hub to give a transportation device a smoother ride"), they implemented and built a specific tire design and (although I don't remember if the following is accurate) invented the process of vulcanization. These patent...
I think the HDMI organization is being self-destructive. If they don't permit the cable, it will result in fewer consumers using HDMI, not more. Apple users will simply wind up buying future versions of Apple monitors which include the mini Display port instead of buying 3rd party monitors that have an HDMI port. And presumably, that would also reduce their licensing revenue. Seems to me they should just bite the bullet and test and license the cables. It...
I agree with you. There was an article in the NYTimes this week about set-top cable boxes. Apparently, they consume tons of energy even when they're shut off in order to retain channel and programming information. The manufacturers claim no one ever asked them to make more energy efficient boxes. Most people don't have their flat-screen TVs professionally calibrated and they leave them in store-demo "blast" mode, with the brightness and contrast turned way up. ...
I think your comments are ridiculous. The reason why a 5th generation device doesn't have 6th generation technology is because software (and related hardware) is never finished - you just take it away from the developers. So the advancements that don't make one device version go into the next version. There's no conspiracy. Furthermore, your assumption is based upon the premise that a purchaser of a 5th generation device must purchase the 6th generation device, but...
We've become an anti-intellectual and anti-knowledge society. We don't like any facts to get in the way of our opinions and biases. That's why the Fox News Network is so popular. And why there's such support for eroding teacher salaries. We consider people who do well academically to be "nerds" and we treat them with disdain unless they also happen to be rich, in which case we excuse their intelligence. Instead, we worship 15-minute celebrities, most of who...
I would strongly disagree with you. I think there is tons of evidence that conservative Republicans, supported by the Fox Network, are pushing more and more towards a society in which only middle class and lower class wage-earners pay taxes. The FACT (in spite of the hype) is that tax rates on the rich are the lowest they've been in over 40 years. During the Nixon administration (2nd term), the highest marginal rate was about 70%. During the Reagan administration,...
I don't know how anyone can make any judgment on this case. The fact is that we have no idea whether this woman is competent or not and whether there was discrimination or not. Anything is possible. There have been extensive experiments done where two candidates of the same age, wearing the same clothes, with EXACTLY the same resume apply for the same job and the vast majority of the time, the black candidate is rejected and the white candidate goes to the next step. ...
That doesn't sound correct to me. The city has nothing to do with the pavement in the plaza, which is part of the GM building and is privately held. Furthermore, the city is not responsible for the sidewalks adjoining buildings - the building's owners are (unless the city itself is digging them up for infrastructure issues.)And if the sidewalk pavement needs to be dug up for any reason, that's far enough away from the cube that it shouldn't cause any problems, even if...
I'm surprised they need to close the store to renovate it. They can simply put up a temporary wall in front of the ground floor rear wall that adjoins the post office space and then work from within the post office space. As for opening stores in the "outer boroughs", I think it's difficult to find a location that's both "hip", highly trafficked and has enough style to meet Apple's requirements. Jobs once killed a Manhattan store location (I think on 23rd street)...