or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

A person's life cannot be accurately portrayed in a 3-hour movie. So characters and events are always consolidated and in the interests of the narrative arc as well as the filmmaker's and writers' egos, things are always changed. And that's aside from the fact that the actors are almost always far better looking than the actual people they're portraying. I can't think of a single film biography that was completely accurate and some were so far from the historical...
For the most part, well-balanced people are not the people who achieve the kinds of greatness that change the world. People who achieve greatness, whether creative, scientific or business are highly focused and frequently concentrate on their interests to the exclusion of almost everything else, frequently alienating family, friends and even business associates. I've always theorized that people like Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc. have mild forms of autism. Geniuses...
Apple killed the music industry only indirectly. It's not the concept of iTunes or the 99 cent downloads that's killed the music industry. It's the fact that the industry has changed from an album model back to a singles model. (And one could argue that Apple saved the music industry from services like Napster, in which most people weren't paying for anything.) Singles were viable in the 1950s and early 1960s because an act would go into a studio and record...
I agree. Unless Apple demanded and received exclusivity, Apple is not hindering wider distribution. And if there was increased distribution of such movies with more vendors, that increased competition might actually hurt the studios because prices would tend to fall. And even if the above poster is correct and the exec is decrying the lack of digital distribution options, I think that's ridiculous as well. There's Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Sony's service as well as all...
There are simply no words that can express the loss. To me, the thing that was greatest about Jobs was his quest for excellence.
I've never had any of the problems you describe, not even once. The only problem I've had (with my 3G) is that sometimes the map application doesn't respond or gets very sluggish. I've never had to reset the phone. I do shut it off late at night. I generally recharge it every other day unless it's gotten excessive use on any given day. The only thing that I've found that chews through the battery quickly is when I use a bicycle app that tracks my ride when I'm...
If Apple had changed the design of the case to be something different, changed the model number designation to "5" but had exactly the same guts and features that the 4s has, everyone would be saying how wonderful it is. But because Apple did this conservatively, giving it the 4s designation and keeping the same case as the 4, everyone is disappointed. The problem is that many owners of the "4" wanted a new model to upgrade to, but that's absurd - no one is expected...
You do know that in spite of the hype, Federal income taxes are at the lowest they've been in over 30 years, right? The highest marginal rate during the Nixon administration was 70%. During the Reagan administration it was 50%. It's now 35%. That's one of the primary reasons we're broke. (That and the fact that we're fighting two wars and the Bush administration's Medicare prescription benefit, although Democrats who now claim to have been against that are also...
Yes, it's true that Obama has been losing support on the left, but that's because he's moved so far to the right and seems to completely cave on every fight with the Republicans. I agree that his road to re-election will be tough. Obama's problem is that many will vote for anyone who is "not-Obama" (or sit out the election) because they're disappointed in his performance, even though whoever is "not-Obama" will support policies they disagree with even more. But...
Really? Do you think a U.S. President of any party is really going to show Apple favoritism because he/she received a $500 electronic device? A large campaign contribution...maybe. Would you rather the POTUS purchased such a device with taxpayer money? The White House has received such gifts for decades or more. I seem to remember that back in the 1960s, Avery Fisher donated a state of the art sound system. Was that a bribe too? And why do I feel like you...