or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Yes, but that's as much due to the weak dollar as VAT and import duties.
While I disagree with the notion that removing optical drives from Mac computers is a good thing, I also disagree that DVD is the future for home entertainment systems. If you have an HDTV and you want the highest quality video, you want Blu-ray, so you're going to be dealing with an external device anyway (since Apple refuses to support Blu-ray). If you're not going to use Blu-ray as a source, you might as well download.
Isn't the difference in clarity related to the fact that most PCs still use RGB analog video output and Apple uses digital output (which it has used for years)?
What's going to doom us is not the continued decline in U.S. manufacturing. What is more likely to doom us is that we're willing to reduce teacher salaries and to lay-off teachers as if educating our kids is a luxury that we can't afford. Apple is not going to manufacture in the United States because it would probably double or triple the price of the products. I believe that the average Chinese manufacturing worker makes about $130 per month. The Federal minimum...
I know that Apple has done that in the past, but I thought that was more of an "emergency" thing. It has to be insanely costly to ship those products by air freight, perhaps even $15-$20 per unit, no?
They're just getting suppliers now for a phone that's supposed to launch in ten weeks? Maybe I'm naive about the incredible pace that devices get designed and manufactured these days, but that seems ridiculous, especially if you need to build-in any time at all for testing (and at least a week for shipping - I assume that most of these devices are still shipped to the U.S. by boat).
It's one thing for Ballmer to talk about installations of Windows vs. installations of Mac OS, but he should not be bragging about sales of Windows PCs, because Microsoft doesn't market any PCs. And Apple doesn't market the OS outside of their own computers. So it's two completely different approaches to the market. Furthermore, I believe you have to look at either company as a whole. If you include the iOS, which is after all, an offshoot of the MacOS, how close does...
The difference is that with MP3 players, phones and tablets, Apple was able to control the eco-system. That's what made those products so successful. With an Apple TV, they can't control the eco-system because they're dependent upon the set-top box makers and the cable/satellite companies. Unless Apple is going to buy out Time-Warner, Comcast, Verizon FIOS and all the other big players, I don't see how they can have big impact, unless they're planning to make huge...
Several issues: 1. Everyone is under the assumption that Apple can fix the UI of TVs. But while the AppleTV interface is simple, I actually don't think it's all that good. And it's a lot different dealing with a list of recorded movies or songs than it is dealing with the contents of 600 to 1200 TV channels, music and VOD services. 2. If Apple did redesign the UI, do you really think they'd "play nice" with Pandora, Netflix, Amazon and all the other services...
That's what I thought. Only I thought they did it remotely. Because people go on there and text, IM, download mail, take their own pictures, type documents, etc. And while I can understand that Apple probably doesn't want anyone to download and/or install software on the demo computers, I've never seen a sign specifically stating that you can't. Furthermore, the stores that I've been in do have a batch of point and shoot cameras on display that are hooked up to...