or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Haven't read all the posts, but even with Obama's poor performance in the first debate, he's still going to win, assuming he wins Florida.      My analysis says that Obama will get 304 electoral votes, well above the 270 he needs to win even if every toss-up state goes to Romney.  Electoral-Vote.com claims Obama will get 319, but I'm not convinced of that yet.      Here's my analysis.  Feel free to poke holes: States with 18 or more electoral votes (CA, TX, FL,...
While I've never used one, this phone actually does look like a nicely designed phone.    The spot is mildly interesting EXCEPT: - half of it is stolen from the "1984" commercial - the other half is stolen from "Yellow Submarine" - when they pour the yellow over the phone to give it color, it gives the impression that you must do something to the Nokia to give it color.  It implies you're putting a color case on it, which obviously, you can also do with the...
  While I think your sentiment is true, I think there are some aspects of Jobs that were negative and this story about the floor is but one typical example.    While we don't know all the details and there are obviously types of (even) white floors that won't scuff, he insisted upon a white floor, probably because it fit into his concept of Zen design, regardless of the ramifications of such practical aspects as cleaning.    While I respect Jobs' insistence that even the...
  Well..it depends.    The summer I graduated high school, I worked 75 hours a week + I had 15 hours of traveling time for a total of 90 hours per week (6 days per week).   When I was an executive at a database publishing company, I worked a minimum of 60 hours a week (8am to 8pm each day) when I wasn't traveling and (obviously) more than that when I did.    And many students who are in school full time work another 20 hours per week outside of the classroom.       Now I...
Not if they make it a free app.    Customers who want it get what they had before and Google protects its advertising revenue.    Consumers have a choice, Apple will be encouraged even more to continuously improve the app and everybody wins.     I understand and think it's legit that Apple developed their own app to get turn-by-turn and I understand Google's reluctance to give it to them so they can save it for their Android platform.   But Apple should not attempt to win...
In many airports, the employees are not actually TSA employees.   The services are contracted out and these employees are very poorly paid - somewhere between minimum wage and about $10 an hour.    Who do we think we're getting for those kinds of wages?      However, there should be a TSA supervisor at every single security position keeping an eye on the employees and every employee caught stealing should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.    The airlines...
That local Fox station was the New York station (Channel 5) and probably has as many viewers as all of Fox News. I happened to see this report when it was broadcast and first I thought, "wow..that iPhone5 is a lot thinner than I thought it was going to be," but when I saw the holographic projection and the virtual keyboard, I realized they had accidentally picked up some concept video, but I was still totally shocked at how stupid an error this was. What I'd love to...
  You came really close to getting it right.     The carbon fiber is for the Apple iBike.   Among the many features the iBike will have are special grips on the handlebars so that you can't hold them wrong.    But you can only ride for four hours at a time and if you upgrade it, every once in a while the wheels will lock and even when they don't, you'll suddenly only be able to ride for about an hour at a time.   It will also have a mode where the iBike will take you to...
I just typed "315 e15 ny" in Google Maps on my MBP and it gave me 315 West 39th Street.         Google Maps has frequently given me wrong instructions.  It seems to have a particularly hard time with addresses in Queens, NY.     It's also frequently given me correct instructions and is an invaluable tool.    If you think about the complexity of the problem, especially for routing, I'm amazed that anyone can do a decent job.    Most of the time, I know...
I'm not fan of cable companies, but I think your statement does not reflect reality in most places outside of small towns.    In New York City, you generally have a choice of Comcast, RCN, Time-Warner, Verizon FIOS, Dish, AT&T + all the services offered on the web and a whole bunch I didn't mention.    There are more choices for this content than at any time in technology history.  Not very vendor is available in every location, but there are choices.     I don't blame...