or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Maybe, but maybe an equivalent number of different people would have....say if Garth Brooks was the face of Beats.   While I personally don't listen to country music, just on his albums that have sold over 5 million units each, Brooks has sold 116 million units in the U.S. - more than any other artist, including the Beatles (107 million).  
   Amplifiers don't come with EQ, but preamplifiers (except for phono preamps) and receivers (which combine a preamp with a power amp) do come with EQ (or tone controls).   That's because EQ is supposed to be part of the control section of an audio chain.   Phono preamps have a set de-emphasis built-in according to the RIAA phono curve.      You are never listening to the music exactly as intended because you are not listening in the same room and with the same equipment...
 I agree that the B&Ws are pretty spectacular.   They're used as the CD listening station headphones at the new Rough Trade record shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.    I was pretty impressed with them - they were crisp and clean with great but smooth high end and had full, tight bass.   I don't remember which model they were using, but the P3s are $200, the P5s are $300 and the P7 is $400.   Since it was a listening station, I'm going to assume they were probably the P3s....
Better focus is one thing, but I would contend that OIS is not necessary at all in either phone.   The iPhone and devices like it are so light and easy to hold that OIS is unnecessary.    And I say that as a photographer who normally shoots with a DSLR and physically large lenses where I really do need some sort of image stabilization.       If you get movement in an iPhone photo, it's because of a long exposure time, not because of phone movement.    OIS only works on...
Maybe, but what headphones that you would use are not overpriced and/or junk? While I don't use Beats headphones because I personally don't like the way they sound, they seem to be decently designed and constructed.   I do like the sound of my relatively low-cost Sennheisers, but the cables on these never last more than a year or two and I find them impossible to re-solder onto a new plug because there are so few strands of copper.  
I think they're going to find that this is counter-productive.   It seems to me that because electricity in NYC is quite expensive (cost me $0.33 per kw/hr in 2013, so far $0.37 in 2014), most people shut off their air conditioners when they leave their home, especially individual units.      If you have the ability to turn the AC on via WiFi remote before you get home or to set a maximum temperature at which point the AC will turn on automatically even if you're not...
Radio doesn't, but TV does pay.  It might be union minimum, but they do get paid.    Besides, that's different than the Apple iTunes Festival concert.   On a TV show, a band generally plays 1 or 2 songs tops, specifically to promote their current release.   At the Apple iTunes Festival, bands are putting on concerts.    It's not a matter of whether there are a thousand more to take their place.   I'm sure there are a thousand more ready to work for free who want the...
I don't listen to rap and hip-hop and I personally despise Kanye West, whose personality I simply cannot stand, but IMO, and despite the naysayers and those who defend Apple no matter what, he does have a point, no matter how ridiculously obnoxious he is.    Since its peak in 1999, the record industry has collapsed.   Even before that, only the biggest artists ever got anything from the record labels beyond their royalty advance.    Most record labels saw to it, through...
I don't necessarily think the Beats acquisition was as terrible as others feel, but when you compare the two, which is more important?  Seems to me that voice recognition is harder to build than streaming radio, which Apple already actually has, even if it hasn't gained all that much market acceptance.   And while Beats does sell a lot of headphones (for better or worse), Apple certainly has the capability to produce their own high end headphones or work with a different...
Even though Siri apparently uses Nuance only for voice recognition and not for AI, it seems to me that this would have been a more important strategic and defensive acquisition than Beats was.