or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I'm all for hard-working employees having some fun, but how many hours did they spend rehearsing that dance instead of producing something of value for the company and its customers?I actually hope Microsoft produces a decent phone or phone OS. Not that I would use it, but competition is good for the marketplace. Apple produces amazing products, and usually gets there first, but there's also a certain amount of arrogance and a history of ignoring customers that needs...
You jest, but I think one of the big problems in current video communications apps is the fact that the cameras must be so wide angle, it distorts people's faces, spreading out their noses and mouths and making the outer areas smaller, which frequently results in making it look like one has less hair or a recessed chin. A company that solves that problem will really have something. No one wants to look bad on camera. As for FaceTime, while I can see the advantages of...
Absolutely right. I'm a former Verizon customer who swtiched to AT&T only for the iPhone and of course, hated AT&T's poor service. However, I've found in recent months that the service has vastly improved and while still not as good as the service I used to get on Verizon, I have a feeling that the Verizon service will deteriorate very rapidly if tons of iPhone users switch to Verizon and/or they obtain tons of new customers. In addition, Verizon used to have cheaper...
Except I think you're correct. Margin of error or not, I have never trusted surveys taken with small samples and I think they've been proven wrong many times. In addition, most surveys are inaccurate because the way the questions are asked and answered are subject to interpretation. The way a question is asked frequently embeds bias and there's a certain amount of self-selection by people willing to take a survey that may not be consistent with the opinions of the...
Didn't have time to read all the posts, but as I see it, there's nothing wrong with increased competition to keep everyone on their toes, but I can't really see how Google entering the market is going to help the record labels. The industry's problem with Apple is Apple's insistence on low prices. So if Google undersells Apple, the industry won't be happy (or they won't let it happen.) And if Google prices higher than Apple, than why would anyone use it? A...
No...Curmudgeon had it right. While it's true that pirates would have killed the business if legit digital downloads didn't come along, what is killing the music business right now is the transition back to the single as the primary music "product". I don't have the numbers in front of me, but digital downloads are not even coming close to making up for the loss of CD album sales. In fact, even if Apple (and others) had charged $2 a track instead of a dollar, it...
I'm no patent attorney, but another absurd lawsuit, in my opinion. The IDEA of including multiple accelerometers and angular rate sensors for detecting position and motion should not be patentable. To me, it's sort of like saying, "a wire will be used to conduct electricity" or "a metering device will be used to measure the amount of current in the circuit." Only the specific implementation should be patentable and what a three or six button mouse has to do with...
Not necessarily. It depends upon whether one "watches TV" or watches particular shows. For those who watch very little TV and choose what they want to watch, a pay on demand model could work. For those who watch a lot of TV, they might feel more comfortable with the fixed monthly price they get from cable, even though it currently doesn't lend itself to being able to download the programs to remote devices. Also, most shows are available for free 24 hours after...
There's no way to win-win: - If American companies did not export jobs, we'd be accused of living off of the world. At least we're "distributing the wealth", if only a bit. - If American companies automated the factories, whether here or in China, that would make things far worse for workers who would have absolutely no jobs. - American companies do export jobs and it's killed the economy for American workers. Those who think those jobs will come back some day are...
Europe actually has very strong historical preservation laws as well as very strong zoning laws that GREATLY restrict what people can do with private property. And as a result, most city cores in Europe are still quite beautiful and lack the chain stores, garish primary-colored plastic signs, and cheap awful modern architecture. Have you been to Paris? With very few exceptions, you cannot tear down anything in Paris proper, especially buildings constructed during...