or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

No, it makes no sense. Apple produces high-end, high margin products where they bring something unique to the table. High-end TVs, while critically acclaimed by their niche users, don't sell well. Just ask Pioneer about their Kuro line, which they had to abandon and ask Sony about their XBR8, for which they had to drop the high-end tech in the XBR9, 10 and more recent series. Other TV manufacturers have brought an elegance to the body trim of their TVs that's as nice as...
Chinese factory workers get about $130 a month. I suspect these Brazilian workers wouldn't get much more. Even at minimum wage, American workers would get about $1250 a month without any benefits whatsoever. On that $1250 a month, Apple's got to pay the employer share of social security and Medicare, probably about another $100. And I'm sure they'd come in for tons of criticism if they didn't pay benefits. If they pay for healthcare, you're talking at least...
Especially since Jobs' time at the company may be limited in the future, it would be a great morale booster to bring Woz back to the company in some role. I have believed for some time, based on the new data center and the size of the new Apple campus, that Apple eventually plans to move into markets and/or product lines that we haven't even thought of yet. Give Woz a role in one of those on in some ancillary product and let him also act as a public booster or...
Every time I've ventured into a Best Buy, almost everything in the store was selling at list price. Stores like Best Buy have a reputation for low prices, due to occasional sales on limited merchandise, but based on my experience, the prices are absurd. I think you'll find that in most cases, independent merchants, such as J&R and BH Photo Video, sell for less than Best Buy, although not on Apple products, since most Apple products sell for list (or within $5 of list)...
I don't understand why large quantities of batteries would by shipped by air anyway. Seems to me that would be a very expensive way to ship as opposed to container ships (not that you'd want a fire on a container ship.) All these shipments of products by air that we anecdotally hear Apple does all the time has got to be a factor in keeping costs/prices high.
Why was this even patentable in the first place? That diagram shows a virtual version of file folders on a desk in chronological order arranged as overlapping tiles. Isn't this all obvious? If they're patenting a unique technological method of animating the icons or conserving memory while doing so or integrating updates, then fine, but i don't see that.
It is a bad thing. Higher pixel density means more photosites. More photosites in close proximity generate more heat. More heat generates noise, especially at high ISOs. Even large sensor pro cameras have faced this challenge: DSLRs from Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony and Leica all have had to make compromises in this regard. The Nikon D3x, which is their top of the line body at 24.5MP ($7600 street price) actually gets inferior high-ISO performance than the D3s 12.1MP...
No, thank you. I prefer to keep my vision. And while we've gotten used to the vision of people seemingly talking to themselves and wearing devices that make them look like they're part of the Borg Collective, will future decades bring us a population frantically waving body parts around in order to interact with their devices? Virtual vertical screens (even physical vertical screens) don't work for touch interaction: try keeping your arm up in the air for five...
I couldn't care less how many apps are available on any platform. I only care about whether there are QUALITY apps that serve my needs. 20,000 apps the equivalent of iFart doesn't help me. Back in the days when few developers were developing for the Mac, this was the mantra coming out of Apple: that it didn't matter that there were far fewer apps for the Mac as opposed to the PC as long as there was at least one or two decent word processors, spreadsheet, drawing...
What evidence do you have that this is union related? First of all, do you know for a fact that the warehouse operates under a union contract? Is there any current dispute with the union? Is the union contract up for renegotiation? More likely, this is some disgruntled employee or even a disgruntled customer. I worked for ten years at a major media company and at one (non-union) location, we had regular bomb-scares, but they were always on a Friday. Think someone...