or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

Yeah, I hope he wasn't wearing his usual jeans and sneakers in a meeting with the President of the United States. I know it's popular not to show respect for anyone anymore (and people wear jeans and the like even to weddings and funerals), but jeez. I would get dressed even if I was meeting a President who I hated. If Steve can NEVER wear anything but the same outfit, it makes me think that he's got a much more serious obsessive-compulsive disorder than I ever...
Why? Don't you think that companies who make their profits in America have a bit of a responsibility to help the country? Don't these companies realize that if America is unemployed or underemployed that there will then be no market for most of their products here because no one can afford them? That the success of many companies, especially those in large cities or off highway ramps, is based in large part on the ability of employees to get to work using and living in...
On the important stuff, I've always found the staff at Apple stores to be really terrific. My daughter's kid pushed her laptop screen way back and broke the hinges. The computer still worked, but they had to support the screen with a brick. Apple said it wasn't worth repairing- it would be too expensive (I think they quoted $1700). Then the video card died. She brought it in and told them to only fix the video card. She got it back and the entire machine was...
No, the point of the tax holiday is that they bring the money "ashore" and don't pay taxes on it. But as the report stated, the last time this happened it did nothing for unemployment. I agree with those who think this is corporate greed. One of the reasons the federal budget is in such bad shape is because corporations are not paying their fair share in taxes. That's why individual tax burdens are so high (although taxes on the rich, despite the hype, are far lower...
No. If Apple takes 30%, their gross margin is 70%. Netflix does a ton of Google and other advertising. My bet is that all that advertising takes almost a big a chunk of revenue as Apple does. Personally, I think competitive pressure will force Apple to relent somewhat on this issue. I think the compromise will be that Apple still gets 30% of first-year revenue, but they'll get less in subsequent years of continuous subscriptions. This is similar to the current...
IMO, a 4-year-old shouldn't be playing a videogame at all and certainly not independently of adult supervision. While playing games does develop eye-hand coordination, the hyperactivity gets in the way of kids' ability to read and learn at a normal pace according to various studies. That's one of the reasons we're raising a nation of idiots (IMO, of course.) Having said that, I think there should be a control on the phone, similar to Location Services, that indicates...
I go back and forth on this. I'm not a lawyer, but I was a publishing executive. Initally, this didn't sound legal to me -- it sounds like price fixing. There were many distribution type deals I was involved with where we were warned that we could not discuss selling price; we could only discuss at what price we were selling to the distributor at. The distributor could sell for whatever price they wanted. But maybe it's not really price fixing because the...
That sounds like a MBP to me. I don't see how you can efficiently use video editing software on anything less than a 17" screen. It's a little thicker because of the DVD drive, but so what? And SSDs are still very expensive compared to physical drives. So I don't understand this push by posters to go with SSD. Everyone would have to give up tons of storage space, something especially needed for video editing.
I disagree. From the questions in the survey, it looks to me like Apple is looking for an excuse to remove ports and functionality. Like if most users say they never use both USB ports at the same time, Apple would remove one. Etc.
The way to make sure it doesn't happen is for Apple to own all of their manufacturing facilities, rather than contracting it out. They might not be able to do that in China, but they can do it in Singapore and they can probably do it if they manufactured in India. Public workers in Egypt seem to make even less than workers in China - news reports claim they make only $100 a month, so it seems to me there are opportunities all over the world. The alternative to that is...