or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

When you think that one black guy in a hoodie is a criminal because another black guy in a hoodie runs out of the store with stolen merchandise, that is clearly racism. If you assign attributes to one member of a group based on the behavior of another member of the group, that's racism (or anti-semitism or sexism or whatever). Are all Jews cheap because one didn't leave a tip? Are all Irish drunks? Are all blondes dumb? Is every girl in a short skirt a whore? If...
Agreed. I couldn't care less about the number of apps in the store. In fact, the large number of apps is a disadvantage because it's hard to fnd the good ones. I'd rather have a store with 500 great apps (maybe even only 100 great apps) than 500,000 apps that include lots of crap. How many apps can one iPhone fit? When there's 5000 photography apps, for example, how do you tell which one is any good?
My remark about it being an active space was not in regards to its aesthetic merits (which it does have) but in response to your comment that it was "dead space". I don't know if you're simply trying to be a troll, but I don't know of a single respected architectural critic who thinks that GCT is a "barn". It's generally considered to be one of the country's "great spaces". But you'd probably prefer the aesthetics of a shopping mall. While Apple's aesthetic works...
No way is that restaurant space 15,000 square feet. And most of it is very narrow. If Apple wanted to use that as exhibition and demonstration space, it might work. But it doesn't work for retail. It's also open space (no walls facing the terminal) and they wouldn't be permitted to put up any because the building is interior landmarked. Furthermore, while people have accepted restaurants in that space, other types of retail have not been permitted in the main room...
Good point. Let's bring back slavery as long as the slaves aren't exposed to environmental hazards. It would be so much more convenient today because we can buy/sell slaves on eBay.
Not buying it. For one thing, you don't need one employee per product display. One employee might be able to cover 20 product displays. Secondly, there are plenty of people who simply cannot interpret specs from a screen - that's why they're in the store in the first place. If they were able to understand everything about a product by reading a screen, chances are they would have ordered online or walked in and asked to buy the product. People who aren't tech...
Regardless of whether the incidence of explosions in Chinese factories is greater or lesser than average, this is still a tragedy. And even though Foxconn does contract with many other companies other than Apple, this will be reported by the press as an explosion at an Apple factory and Apple will wind up taking some of the blame, especially if it's discovered that the "polishing" operation had anything to do with the manufacture of Apple products. To the general...
Unions are imperfect, but I would argue that with ever-declining wages and ever-increasing reports of unfair management behavior, unions are needed more in certain industries, not less. Especially as many non-unionized companies are trying to get away with paying little more than minimum wage. And they're also needed in cases where safety is a huge issue, like coal mines. The negative aspects of unions are when they try to institute absurd work rules, restrict...
I expect nothing in the stores for the 10th anniversary. Jobs has said on more than one occassion that he never looks back, doesn't care about the history of Apple, doesn't care about museum exhibitions of old computers, etc. If one only looks forward, then an anniversary doesn't mean anything. And as for the poster who thinks that Apple retail is some kind of left-wing conspiracy, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Apple retail is a perfect implementation...
Most other companies in this economy would KILL for a 9% year over year growth.