or Connect

Posts by zoetmb

I had an original Mac, then a Mac Plus, then the Mac SE, then the SE HD and some others, and they all worked perfectly.   The only Mac that failed on me was a 610, in which the hard disk eventually failed, but it gave me plenty of warning (which I, of course, ignored).     I knew that if I shut the machine off it was not going to reboot.    Didn't have any backup hard drives in those days.   I went on vacation and put a note on the machine saying "do not shut off", but of...
  There's a difference between an explanatory video placed on a website that people who have a strong interest seek out and an advertisement that you see (presumably on broadcast or cable TV) that you didn't ask for.     This type of promotion works for the former, not for the latter.   While there's certain aspects of this that are quite appealing, I think Apple made the right decision not to air it as it would have come across as a bunch of nerdy kids talking about a...
This is ridiculous.   I don't even like the fact that they're removing optical drives from the laptops, but at least in a laptop, there's a rationale:  to make them thinner/lighter or to be able to give more space to the battery.  There is no reason whatsoever to remove optical drives from the iMac or the MacPro.    Space is not an issue.    There are still plenty of reasons for some people to use optical drives (I use them constantly) and they're so inexpensive that it...
My late-2008 MBP was getting about three hours of usage per charge.  With Mountain Lion, in standby (which used to last days), I'm getting about an hour.   So as far as I'm concerned, there's definitely something wrong.   In addition, after installing Mountain Lion, the computer would lockup and I had to reboot almost every day.  Felt like I was using a PC.    However, once quitting iTunes, it hasn't locked up since.    So there's something iTunes is doing that's...
This is really cracking me up.   What were Samsung's lawyers thinking?     A simulation of a device using special effects is now considered prior art?    In that case, I guess if anyone ever truly invents a transporter, they can't patent it because Star Trek did it first.     I guess Apple should lose any iPhone patents because Dick Tracy had one on his wrist.   And I guess Universal Studios (for Frankenstein) should own any patents relating to organ transplants....
  Would you say that about Paul McCartney?   Bob Dylan?    How about Einstein in his later years when he disagreed with just about everyone working in the field of quantam mechanics and didn't really do anything new?   While I agree that Jobs made Apple what it is today, I don't think that means that we ignore or disrespect Woz.   He deserves our respect for being one of the "elders" - one of the founding fathers of this industry.   I also respect Woz because of his past...
This is why  I think that the system should be even more closed than it is, not more open.    Who needs a store where most of the apps are junk?    Good retailers don't inventory everything - they curate.   While the search tools can be vastly improved across all of Apple's stores (iTunes included), it's never going to be easy to find what you want (unless you already know it by title) with 600,000 apps on there.      Personally, I think that any app that doesn't...
  Except that for the most part Samsung and other competitors didn't innovate.   They copied.    This is especially obvious with Samsung since they not only copied the overall design and look & feel, but the trade dress and packaging, down to the color and fonts.        If the competitors innovated, then there would probably be no lawsuit.   There's more than one way to do a phone UI.    There's a lot about Apple's UI that I actually don't like.    And I have seen some...
  That's all well and good, but that's not the point.    The implication is that Apple was able to negotiate their deal over a 2-year period and other potential vendors had only 30 days to submit.     In these types of situations, all vendors have to be treated equally as this is public property.     In addition, Apple does seem to have gotten a cheap deal, even if it is substantially more than the restaurant was paying.   Apple has 23,000 square feet.   Typical retail...
  The upgrade went seamlessly, but I'm having lots of problems in daily use.   I've had to reboot three times in as many days - there's something in the new OS that tends to lock up the entire system.    I think it might be Office related, although it also seems to have problems coming out of sleep mode or when I move the computer and it's picking up a different Apple Express (but on the same network).  I never had these problems before.   When it happens, virtually every...