or Connect

Posts by r00fus

I read at night ... in bed... sometimes with no light (wife turned off the light). I also like reading PDFs as they're meant to be read, with colors and all. I do like the Kindle's weight, though... much easier on the arms.
Market share is important, but what market? Google can't claim much revenue much less profit from Android for the near future. And how many of these Android devices will be Marketplace accessible? Look: Google/Open Handset Alliance require 3G access for a device to have Marketplace access:http://blog.laptopmag.com/google-aug...t-unauthorized ...this means recurring monthly charge for each device!! GoogleVerizon is trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer...
It's great that it exists, and I'm a huge proponent of Skype. However, keep in mind that the video quality is sub-par (was great in say, 2008) for today's standards, and that Skype is a P2P protocol that pushes lots of it's own traffic. For chatting and voice, it's very very useful. For video, it's a great fallback (esp. video to non-mac users). Compared to iChat it's not that good. Bring on the native FaceTime Mac Client and non-Apple FaceTime implementations!
I'm waiting with baited breath for AVRCP, since I just got a great bluetooth stereo headset.
You pause like you do on the shuffle, ipod touch, and iphone today: you click your earbud button once. Double-click to skip, Triple click to go back. This interface is good enough for runners. I use a shuffle or iPhone on my run, and they both work fine (iphone w/ bluetooth on treadmill, shuffle when I hit the park or pavement). My big beef with the new Nano is that there was no mention of App Store support... that would make it killer and rejuvenate a whole new...
I'm convinced that Apple authorized and is aiding Steam (an App-Store equivalent on Mac territory!) simply because Steam can help sell Mac Desktops (Mac laptops sell themselves). As a Mac-only household, and coming back the gaming scene with the advent of StarCraft 2, Half-Life and Portal this year (all awesome titles), I'm beginning to see that my MBP 13" is capable but not quite comfortable when running 3D games (ie, say as opposed to puzzle/word/platformers). I'm...
You think Google's evil is even in the same league as Microsoft? (which, as an organization is really tame compared to the likes of Halliburton or Monsanto). I think Google has irreparably harmed their image with the whole Verizon "carve up the mobile internets" plan, but they're still nowhere near as evil as "lets stuff the standards organization ballot box" or "Windows isn't done until Lotus doesn't run" Microsoft. Glad to hear MobileMe is working well for you, but...
It's limiting in the sense that Apple is the only single vendor... although in any good software+hardware combined enterprise rollout, hardware costs are usually not an overwhelming factor. Still, the "single source" vendor issue is what's likely keeping companies from mass-adopting iPads in the workplace, as iPad + enterprise server = very useful customizable in-house system... Corporations realize that other corps often act like brutal amoral pricks, so vendor lock-in...
In other news, Android is going with AFC-enabled chips. /rimshot
Beware the market-share seeker, they are ultimately rent-seeking (see Microsoft). I value the profit-seeker instead, they strive to earn their dollar. Case in point: Google just gave Verizon a big bear-hug with their watered down Net Neutrality suggestions... a huge 180-degree shift. Verizon (all telecoms) are notorious rent-seekers, they like oil companies and big banks are so protected from actual competition and plan to (buying congress to) gut the internet to make...