or Connect

Posts by John.B

Streamed ESPN is probably the holy grail.  The thing is, ESPN gets on the order of $3-$4 dollars/month for their basic channels (ESPN and ESPN2) from the cable/satellite companies for every single subscriber, regardless of whether subscribers want it or watch it.  If ESPN were to offer ala carte subscriptions, the cable and satellite companies would drop ESPN in a heartbeat, and that's where ESPN gets the majority of the revenue they use to pay for the high-dollar sports...
 If you think that's bad, I have an LG TV that came with a "magic remote" (like a Wiimote, but with tons more latency and far worse accuracy) as the only way to switch inputs.  Wish I'd realized it wouldn't work with standard learning remotes before I bought it....  I had to get an HDMI switching box to keep from throwing the damned TV out the window! Oh, and LG TVs "phone home" everything you watch back to the mothership if you enable WiFi or Ethernet networking (required...
 This is one of the hassles of the ATV.  Because there is no built-in basic browser, there is no way to get to hotel network Wi-Fi login screens without a second device (computer, router, etc.) That said, I'm finding more and more hotels are either mounting TVs into frames or epoxying the spare HDMI ports to prevent this sort of thing in the first place...
 As long as shareholders continue to let Bezos leak cash like a sieve, we'll continue to see giveaways like this.  The AMZN P/E for 2014 looks to be on the order of -10,000!  Even at last year's P/E of 486, the simplified view says it would take almost 500 years for the stock to earn back what you invested if you bought their stock today:  The thing is, whether this is Prime Videos or Prime Music or Prime Streaming or Prime Books, there's virtually no lock-in.  The freebie...
Amazon Prime content is still the missing feature for Chromecast (and Apple TV), though from my experience Amazon's Prime videos tend to be noticably more compressed than Netflix streaming.   That said, the Fire TV Stick has one of the same design flaws as the Chromecast: HDMI jacks aren't powered.  You still have to somehow provide power to the device.  The fine print calls out the need for a micro USB port "for power only" (wallwart transformer included), but it is...
Or political dissidents. 
 http://consumerist.com/2014/06/12/facebook-is-now-selling-your-web-browsing-data-to-advertisers/
 Wow, that was SERIOUSLY uncalled for.  What's worse, you knew that and went there anyway.   SMH.
Anyone who entrusts their anonymity to Facebook deserves what they get.
 Apple created this expectation problem themselves last year, when the iPad mini 2 had the same processor, memory, etc. as the iPad Air, the only difference was battery capacity and screen size.